4-5 day Cruise for just me and my 13 year old?

sharona211

Hi. I'd really like to take my 13 yo daughter on a short cruise. I've been on 5 Carnival cruises (so I know I like it) and I think she might really enjoy it too but... I'm concerned that there won't be enough on board activities for us to do together.

She's not the type that will make instant bff's with other kids so not sure if she would want to do the kids club or whatever it's called. And even if she did, what would be the point of us going if she will be off by herself and I will be by myself half the time? I get plenty of time to myself when I travel for work or go on a girls weekend with friends so not really looking for that - the point of this trip is to spend time together.

Thoughts from single parents who have taken a cruise with a young teen just the two of you? Did you find enough activities that interested you both? Did you feel awkward with just 2 of you?

Also, any thoughts on a woman and a young girl going into port alone? I guess we could stick to ship sponsored shore excursions but I usually research on these boards and book separately... not sure I'm comfortable doing that with my daughter along...

TIA for your input.

My daughter was 16 when we cruised together on a short cruise, and we had a GREAT time. She wasn't interested in doing any of the "teen" activities either. We played minigolf, we went to the Waterworks, we played Trivia, we went to the shows, and we ate pizza! Our ship stopped at Half Moon Cay (which we loved) Nassau (which we toured on our own and felt comfortable doing so) and Freeport (where we stayed on the ship to enjoy it without the crowds.)

I think you and your daughter could have a GREAT time together.

My husband hates cruising but my 13 yr old daughter loves cruising. We started cruising alone three years ago and have had a blast. We are doing an 8 day cruise on the Sunshine this March and a 7 day to Alaska in June on the Legend. She is shy but always ends up making friends. We have a rule that breakfast and dinner are together and obviously we hang out in the ports. Usually we spend most of the day together and in the evening she will watch the movies with friends or hang out in the game room. We have always done 5 days or longer.

We have never felt unsafe while in port. We have done ship excursions and often chose private excursions or exploring on our own. Never have I felt uncomfortable traveling alone.

Edited by QZQ

My daughter and I do a mother-daughter trip every year in October for her school Fall Break. We have done beach trips and cruises. The last cruise she was 15. She has cruised before and did not want to participate in any of the teen activities. We had fun watching the hairy chest contest, mixed drink contest, etc on Lido. We played Bingo, mini golf and just "hung out" and relaxed on the sea days. We did the dive in movies, production shows, and comedy shows in the evenings. There is so much to choose from it makes for a great trip. And you can choose excursions based on your daughters interests too.

We are trying to plan our next cruise now, looking at dates, itineraries etc. My daughter ( almost 17 now) has said she wants to always continue our mother-daughter trip tradition even when she is in college and beyond.

So i would go forward and make your plans. It may turn into an annual trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for shore excursions, my comfort level depends on the port. And you dont have to limit yourself to ship sponsored excursions. But just like anywhere you have to be cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right OP, it's a double-edged sword. 13 year old meets friends at club, you see them sporadically. My 13 year old DD went to kids club and after that, she was off with her friends. Now, some of the time DH and I were there (dive in movie) but sometimes not. I was happy she was having fun, but if it got too late I would worry. Discuss what works for the two of you, time-wise, dinner with you then pool time with friends? Its still a work in progress for me. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

I pretty much only travel alone with just my 2 kids (one is 16 and the other is 20). We always have a wonderful time and pick excursions that we'd enjoy as a family- so usually beach clubs where we can relax, they can do water sports and I can have a cocktail or three. My DD is the older one and she exclusively hangs out with me. She's shyer than her brother. So we go to tea time, the art auction, hang out at the pool, buy a spa pass for the week and go to the comedy shows. We've also gone to trivia and karaoke. There's so much to do and so little time after eating breakfast, lunch and dinner that you all definitely won't be bored.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences and advice. I think we may give it a try. I definitely want to start small in case she doesn't like it so I'll look for something to Bahamas or Cozumel. Southern Caribbean and Alaska are on my cruise bucket list but need to do a shorter "trial" cruise first I think.