Carnival dinner seating - a thing of the past?

LuckyZ

I don't mind a set dining time but the idea that I'll be forced to sit with strangers is ludicrous. I'm not on vacation to make forced awkward conversation with strangers while I try to enjoy my WCMC. That 3 inches of space between tables is important lol. This upcoming carnival cruise is my first with a set dinning time as a party of two and I've emailed the Matre' D requesting we be sat alone so hopefully it happens

If anytime was all the ships offered, there would be extremely long lines as most people would go around the same time. Go out to a popular restaurant in your town around six pm and see how long you wait. Around here it is 45 minutes to an hour. No thanks.

I don't mind a set dining time but the idea that I'll be forced to sit with strangers is ludicrous. I'm not on vacation to make forced awkward conversation with strangers while I try to enjoy my WCMC. That 3 inches of space between tables is important lol. This upcoming carnival cruise is my first with a set dinning time as a party of two and I've emailed the Matre' D requesting we be sat alone so hopefully it happens

When you book your cruise I believe you have the option of choosing the type of seating you want - table for 2, large table etc.

When you book your cruise I believe you have the option of choosing the type of seating you want - table for 2, large table etc.

Really!?!?! where!! I was only ever asked the time I wanted! Is that maybe just for the newer ships? I'm sailing on the Paradise which I know is one of their older ships (I'm sailing during winter recess and I am hoping an older ship with no waterpark will have less kids then the new ships with all the bells an whistles)

Personally I prefer YTD. That being said what would be the big deal if all dining rooms were YTD? If I want to eat at 6:00 on Monday and 8:00 on Tuesday thats fine. If you want to eat at 6:00 every day whats the problem? Just go at 6:00. Why can't you go to YTD at the same time every day. It's not really complicated.

We always chose early seating, always have. What with all the changes over the years from the old classic cruise to the new style of rush rush rush, I hope they don't take the set times away. We enjoy meeting new people, another old thing I guess, and dressing nicely for dinner is still seen but slowly disappearing. it's a shame the newbies these days can't experience the old ways and learn a cruise is a relaxing enjoyable time.

Personally I prefer YTD. That being said what would be the big deal if all dining rooms were YTD? If I want to eat at 6:00 on Monday and 8:00 on Tuesday thats fine. If you want to eat at 6:00 every day whats the problem? Just go at 6:00. Why can't you go to YTD at the same time every day. It's not really complicated.

Actually it is. "Waiting" for a table isn't my idea of relaxing. Requesting tables for the 16 in our party can result in a long wait. Milling around the entrance or being attached to a buzzer means 16 people moving off in different directions. Kids get restless....they are much happier sitting at an assigned table and having the waiter (who gets to know their preferences on day one) bringing their drink of choice and they enjoy perusing the menu and figuring out "all" the new foods they get to try.

When we go put to eat at home with a large group we always make reservations if it's sit down dining. Takes the stress off and helps create a relaxing evening.

With 3000 passengers on a ship I can imagine YTD being as crowded and cumbersome as noon at the Lido. Requesting the same table or the same staff just complicates the "when will I be seated issue".

No thanks!

One of things I don't like about NCL is there freestyle dining

Rccl was trying to convert its larger ships to Dynamic Dining and due to cruiser comments they didn't do it

Good thing because we enjoy sitting at the same table with the same people and same waiters. We get to know more about each other

I enjoy when the waiter knows what bread to serve me or if I want water without asking and the cocktail waiter is brining me my dinner cocktail right after sitting down

So no I hope they don't do away with traditional dining

Really!?!?! where!! I was only ever asked the time I wanted! Is that maybe just for the newer ships? I'm sailing on the Paradise which I know is one of their older ships (I'm sailing during winter recess and I am hoping an older ship with no waterpark will have less kids then the new ships with all the bells an whistles)

I use a travel agent and she has that option when we book - it must work because we always get what we've requested.

You can email the maitre'd with your request. I'd email a week before your trip. Give your dates, booking # and cabin number.

Carnival Maitred emails :

Its the two letter ship code then maitred@carnival.com

Maitre d' - xxmaitred@carnival.com

Steakhouse - xxsteakhouse@carnival.com (for ships with a steakhouse)

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

PR Pride

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

SH Sunshine

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

VS Vista

I use a travel agent and she has that option when we book - it must work because we always get what we've requested.

You can email the maitre'd with your request. I'd email a week before your trip. Give your dates, booking # and cabin number.

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

PR Pride

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

SH Sunshine

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

VS Vista

Ive done this already but i guess it is a bit early i will email him again closer to my sail date, thank you so much for being so helpful :)

Edited by missy428

We had YTD for the first time (not by choice, we were bumped from our set time dining) and hated it with every fiber of my being. It really did take away from the fun of the cruise to us. Dinner was a hassle, we eat at 6 at home and we like to eat at 6. We would get to the restaurant at 5:45 and we never got out of there before 8:00 and one night 8:45. It was HORRIBLE! I felt sorry for the waiters trying to keep everybody happy while food came out at a snail's pace. And it was just 2 of us, so we didn't need any special big party arrangements. We gave up after the third night and just did the buffet the rest of the cruise. Dinner is usually the highlight of our cruise, not so this time...and we are both very easy going people. It was not a good situation for us, if Carnival did away with the fixed dining, we wouldn't sail Carnival anymore, one experience was enough.

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

PR Pride

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

SH Sunshine

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

VS Vista

Interesting, my travel agent didn't have that option on our last one. She tried to talk about it with Carnival and was told they couldn't guarantee anything and suggested we stop by the MDR on the first afternoon to see what our seating was. It wasn't exactly what we wanted (got a 4 top when we had wanted a big table), but wasn't enough to make a big deal to change it. We ended up liking our table mates quite a bit, we had just hoped for a larger table.

For this one I emailed the maitre d yesterday for our cruise on the 6th. This time around we have 6 people in 3 cabins and every time we call to ask something we get a different answer as to if the rooms are linked to dine together. I hope the email helps ensure we are seated together....

I did ATD once. And once was enough. I hated it. I only did it because I was with my two sons and they wanted to do it. Now it is back to early dining and hopefully I don't have to do YTD again. I realize some people like it but my husband and I don't. We did try getting the same wait staff but the wait was always long and my two boys (men) didn't want to wait that long to get a table. I know my husband wouldn't either. Also we have met some really nice people at our table and gotten to really know them. That didn't happen with ATD.

So for those who like it, I'm glad Carnival has that option, but I am also glad that they have the set dining as well for those of us who want it.

tigercat

Edited by tigercat

I stopped booking NCL when they went to ALL "your time dining", and probably would do the same for Carnival if they did the same. One of the highlights of the day is dinner aboard the ship, with good, new, friends, and an excellent wait staff who has my iced tea in place, and knows what I'm going to order, before I order. ;)

"SKY"

I couldn't agree with you more. It's one of the highlights of my cruise.

Always have early fixed time seating BUT always request private table for 3 as well. We prefer to keep dinner time quality family time for us and discuss our day, discuss what we will do that night and just enjoy each others company. Do not want to wait on others or make conversation with strangers as we are interacting with strangers all day long in one way or another.

We do not eat late at home so prefer to keep that schedule as well as we do like to see the shows or do other things in the evening. The 3 of us know that dinner is at 6:00 and we plan accordingly. We do have the occasional day that we do not make it to MDR for whatever reason and feel no stress or obligation to do so.

Interesting, my travel agent didn't have that option on our last one. She tried to talk about it with Carnival and was told they couldn't guarantee anything and suggested we stop by the MDR on the first afternoon to see what our seating was. It wasn't exactly what we wanted....

I think you need a new travel agent

That is very reasonable

I like late seating. I did try anytime dining and it was terrible the 1st time. I thought I would try it again because it was just starting up and it was just as bad. Slow service, slow getting a table, different waiters every night. The 3rd time I decided to try again because I was with friends that liked to eat around 6 so I agreed. It was just as bad as the first two times and I asked to be moved to late dining and the rest of the cruise dining was so much better. Glad they have the option for those that like anytime dining, but it doesn't work for me. I like to know where my table is. I like to be able to go to the dining room when it's my selected time to go and go straight to my table. I like having the same waiters and waitress every night. Dining is a special part of my cruise experience and if Carnival ever cuts out that option I too will be one that will not cruise with Carnival anymore. I would never cruise Norweigian for the same reason.

Good thing because we enjoy sitting at the same table with the same people and same waiters. We get to know more about each other

I enjoy when the waiter knows what bread to serve me or if I want water without asking and the cocktail waiter is brining me my dinner cocktail right after sitting down

So no I hope they don't do away with traditional dining

I couldn't have said it better myself ... thanx :)

I think it's great CCL has Fixed and YTD both so passengers can choose what "fits" best for them.

I prefer YTD, but there is a place for both. If I was with a large group (8), I would probably want fixed dining, but we usually sail as a couple or with 2 others.

It appears to me that the current trend is toward YTD, so fixed dining may eventually go away (slowly). NCL is doing okay without it. Royal appears to want to head in that direction on their newer ships, but it has not been received well by their traditional client base.

I just got back from a B2B on the Conquest and had early dining. Not one table was empty except for maybe one night each. We were at a table for 4 for both cruises. One night on our first cruise, we went to the Steakhouse and the next night they went. Other than that our table was full. The second week only my husband and I went to the Steakhouse. I think people think that set dining is on the way out because a lot of those who like YTD seem set on it and think everyone should like it. Those of us who like set dining see that both are needed.

I have tried YTD and hated it. The only way I would go back to it is if I was forced to do it. At that point I would find another cruise line. I have told my two boys that if we go on another cruise together we would be doing fixed dining or they would have their own cabin and could do YTD and I would do fixed.

For me part of the thing about YTD is that it feels just like going out to a regular restaurant at home. The wait staff know nothing about me and don't know what I like and don't like. I like the fact that the wait staff get to know us and we get to know them. That they know what we do and don't like.

tigercat

When booking a cruise, there are certain things you can count on. Sitting down in a relaxed pace dinner and enjoying conversation with others.

My dinner time at home, is mostly a fixed time. It has been with kids, and still is the same time. Adjustments made for events, but mostly the same. As everyone was older, dinner is at dinner time, and fend for yourself after dinner. (reheat leftovers).

Ships are trying different things like YTD, but I know people that still would eat at the same time, but 30 minutes later. 5:30 is too early, so I will eat at 6:00.

To have that option, you need to do extra work, or wait in lines during peak times etc. What happened to relaxing?

I had both, the YTD because of a late booking, and honestly, it seems to have taken away from the cruise and I felt like I was at home, with a buzzer in my hand waiting for a table.

I just got back from a B2B on the Conquest and had early dining. Not one table was empty except for maybe one night each. We were at a table for 4 for both cruises. One night on our first cruise, we went to the Steakhouse and the next night they went. Other than that our table was full. The second week only my husband and I went to the Steakhouse. I think people think that set dining is on the way out because a lot of those who like YTD seem set on it and think everyone should like it. Those of us who like set dining see that both are needed.

I have tried YTD and hated it. The only way I would go back to it is if I was forced to do it. At that point I would find another cruise line. I have told my two boys that if we go on another cruise together we would be doing fixed dining or they would have their own cabin and could do YTD and I would do fixed.

For me part of the thing about YTD is that it feels just like going out to a regular restaurant at home. The wait staff know nothing about me and don't know what I like and don't like. I like the fact that the wait staff get to know us and we get to know them. That they know what we do and don't like.

tigercat

We will only do YTD, unless we go with more than 6 people. Having said that, when we do YTD and have a wait staff we like we just request to sit in their area and we get the same experience you are describing above....but if on our first day or so we get some we don't like we just request to sit in a different area. A lot easier to do than if you get stuck with a bad wait staff in traditional dining.