George Letsios RIP

Cruzin Terri

It is with great sadness to inform that Geoge Letsios of taxi Katakolon passed away yesterday.

George has been ill fo a while. We saw him this past July when he told us he was awaiting a bone marrow transplant.

This morning on Facebook, his colleague Takis posted of his passing.

May he rest in peace. He was truly one of a kind.

We toured with him on a number of occasions and always had a wonderful day.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Very sad news. I saw it on FB yesterday, and I had been curious if anything would be mentioned here. We toured with George on our first Med cruise in 2008, and we'll never forget that day. After that he would always help if I needed recommendations for guides in other ports in Greece. We really got some fantastic treatment in Athens and Mykonos a few years later when the guides we used knew that we were "George's friends." It was kind of funny really (he called them repeatedly throughout each day to see if we were having a good time), but shows how respected he was. Thereafter, it was always so nice to get a Christmas email from him as well as a happy birthday greeting each year on FB.

I didn't know he had been sick. Our deepest sympathy to his lovely family. He will be missed by many.

Very sad news. I saw it on FB yesterday, and I had been curious if anything would be mentioned here. We toured with George on our first Med cruise in 2008, and we'll never forget that day. After that he would always help if I needed recommendations for guides in other ports in Greece. We really got some fantastic treatment in Athens and Mykonos a few years later when the guides we used knew that we were "George's friends." It was kind of funny really (he called them repeatedly throughout each day to see if we were having a good time), but shows how respected he was. Thereafter, it was always so nice to get a Christmas email from him as well as a happy birthday greeting each year on FB.

I didn't know he had been sick. Our deepest sympathy to his lovely family. He will be missed by many.

We were with him in July. At first he told us someone else would be driving us because he was ill, but the night before I receive an email that he would be waiting for us at the pier. He said he wanted to be with his friends.

We spent a lovely day at Courouta beach with him and at the end he didn't even want to take the money. He told us of his illness and awaiting the bone marrow transplant. I knew it wasn't good.

Like you he has recommended other drivers and always checked on us during the day.

He was truly a gentleman and one of a kind. He will be missed.

Terri

I have to tell a story of George because he was a rarity in his services to cruise passengers.

In 2005 my husband and I took our first cruise, one of our stops was Katakolon. I was such a rookie back then. I had hoped we would rent scooters and make our way to Olympia on our own. I had read warnings of taking taxis and additional costs being added on for returns to the ship, I was spooked. My husband decided scooters weren't a good idea so we walked down the length of the town and began making our way back up and to the ship, I feeling a bit of defeat.

As we began making our way back a taxi driver was parked, asked us if we would like to go to Olympia, good price. I said no, my husband went to listen to his offer. That taxi driver was George.

We end up having a fantastic day with George. George was everything so many people have made comment on over the years on TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic; kind, honest, proud of family and his country, eager to show the beauty of Katakolon and surrounds.

When I got back to the states I answered a question on CruiseCritic for recommendations on guides in Katakolon. I gave an honest review, nothing really special. A few years later I started to get emails and phone calls from customers of George's telling me George said to say hello and send his regards from Greece. I was curious and looked at George's website. There at the bottom of his page was a small paragraph:

"From the bottoms of my heart a huge thank you to Jean Baker first and then to all of you who with your words make me known and gave me the opportunity to make so many friends from all over the world!!! George."

I felt honored that I could have been a part of seeing George be so successful, just a small part really.

In October of last year I had the extreme privilege to be reunited with George. George met my mom and I at the dock in Katakolon and spent the day with us. He was battling his illness so nobly, with such hope for the future. He was hopeful that his transplant would be successful and he would be able to retire. Gee whiz, I wish that had come to fruition for him.

All this time I had thought my review of Georges services had been the catalyst for his recognition. George told me it was his taking to heart my suggestion that he begin utilizing the Internet to offer his services. A word of encouragement had gone a long way.

I had a friend in Greece. We all have a friend in heaven. When I get to the Pearly Gates there will be George, a big smile on his face, standing next to his shiny new Mercedes, sign in hand "Welcome Jean Baker".

I have to tell a story of George because he was a rarity in his services to cruise passengers.

In 2005 my husband and I took our first cruise, one of our stops was Katakolon. I was such a rookie back then. I had hoped we would rent scooters and make our way to Olympia on our own. I had read warnings of taking taxis and additional costs being added on for returns to the ship, I was spooked. My husband decided scooters weren't a good idea so we walked down the length of the town and began making our way back up and to the ship, I feeling a bit of defeat.

As we began making our way back a taxi driver was parked, asked us if we would like to go to Olympia, good price. I said no, my husband went to listen to his offer. That taxi driver was George.

We end up having a fantastic day with George. George was everything so many people have made comment on over the years on TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic; kind, honest, proud of family and his country, eager to show the beauty of Katakolon and surrounds.

When I got back to the states I answered a question on CruiseCritic for recommendations on guides in Katakolon. I gave an honest review, nothing really special. A few years later I started to get emails and phone calls from customers of George's telling me George said to say hello and send his regards from Greece. I was curious and looked at George's website. There at the bottom of his page was a small paragraph:

"From the bottoms of my heart a huge thank you to Jean Baker first and then to all of you who with your words make me known and gave me the opportunity to make so many friends from all over the world!!! George."

I felt honored that I could have been a part of seeing George be so successful, just a small part really.

In October of last year I had the extreme privilege to be reunited with George. George met my mom and I at the dock in Katakolon and spent the day with us. He was battling his illness so nobly, with such hope for the future. He was hopeful that his transplant would be successful and he would be able to retire. Gee whiz, I wish that had come to fruition for him.

All this time I had thought my review of Georges services had been the catalyst for his recognition. George told me it was his taking to heart my suggestion that he begin utilizing the Internet to offer his services. A word of encouragement had gone a long way.

I had a friend in Greece. We all have a friend in heaven. When I get to the Pearly Gates there will be George, a big smile on his face, standing next to his shiny new Mercedes, sign in hand "Welcome Jean Baker".

What a wonderful story and tribute to George.

I have to say that I felt so honored in July when, in spite of his failing health, he came to the port to drive us himself. Earlier we had received an email from Takis that George would not be available so we felt so special that he spent the day with us.

I posted a picture on his Facebook page of that day. He was a very special person.

Terri

Very sad news. He was such a kind man, passionate about his country and family. We had the privilege of touring with him in 2011. Truly one of the best days of our Greek Isles cruise. He will be missed. My heartfelt sympathy to his family.

My husband and I are so sorry to hear this sad news.

We also had a wonderful day with George, including taking us to his house and giving the two ladies in the group a rose each from his garden.

He also put us in touch with two of his friends in other Greek ports and phoned during the day to check that we were having a good time with both Fotis in Athens and Themis in Rhodes.

We also recommended George to friends who were travelling to Katakalon a year after us and he took a photo of them having lunch with him and emailed to us.

It was a pleasure to tour with him and he was a great ambassador for Greece.

Our sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

RIP George - we will always remember you very fondly.

Jean, we toured with George the day after you this past October. You were truly dear to him! He showed us pictures with you and told us all about your day together.

He told us about his illness and that we would be his last tour before he retired because of his medical treatments that were to begin. I wish his family peace and comfort and wish Takis all the best as he tries to fill George's shoes. George was unlike any other tour operator I have ever been with!

Jean, we toured with George the day after you this past October. You were truly dear to him! He showed us pictures with you and told us all about your day together.

He told us about his illness and that we would be his last tour before he retired because of his medical treatments that were to begin. I wish his family peace and comfort and wish Takis all the best as he tries to fill George's shoes. George was unlike any other tour operator I have ever been with!

Thanks for this Camlott. I'm just so sad George succommed to his illness. He counted us all as his friends and I think we were lucky to do the same.

Thanks for this Camlott. I'm just so sad George succommed to his illness. He counted us all as his friends and I think we were lucky to do the same.

Jean,

I feel the same way. The day we were in Katakalon, Takis was supposed to drive us. The night before, I emailed Takis just to confirm and got an email back from George saying that he would be at the pier.

I was so happy.

When we arrived, we got big hug and kisses, it was our third time with him. He said, I just had to see my friends. We spent a wonderful day with him and somehow, as hopeful as he was about the transplant, I knew I wouldn't see him again.

The following two days we were with his friend Fotis in Napflion and Athens. Fotis expressed concern about George. George must have called about six times during those two days to check on us.

I heard from Fotis yesterday. He is devastated about his friend, who he says was like a brother to him.

George was a special person. A true gentleman and one of a kind.

I feel like you. We have a friend in heaven.

May he rest in peace.

Terri