Describe Falmouth

Cruisin 4 Ever

I am going to Falmouth on my Carnival cruise next month.

We haven't been before and when we look at the available excursions through Carnival, nothing is really of interest or is very expensive.

Can anyone describe what the port area is like? Is there anywhere we can walk to like a downtown area or beach within a mile or two?

My understand is the closest beach is Red Stripe beach. Not within walking distance but a quick shuttle ride there. In fact you have to take the shuttle to get in there. You book it online with your cruise line before you cruise, book it when on the ship or pay for it at the port. We wanted a cheap close beach when we are there in Feb on the RCCL Navigator so we have already booked/paid for it. You can do a search on "red stripe beach" on this site and find a lot of information about it. You can also do a search on "Falmouth" and find a wealth of information. From what I've read the immediate port area off of the ship is owned by RCCL. Not much to see right outside of the port?? But that all depends on individual perspective. Have a great cruise!!

I am going to Falmouth on my Carnival cruise next month.

We haven't been before and when we look at the available excursions through Carnival, nothing is really of interest or is very expensive.

Can anyone describe what the port area is like? Is there anywhere we can walk to like a downtown area or beach within a mile or two?

There is a fenced-off area by the dock where anyone should feel safe (and sterile). Outside the fenced area Falmouth is quite small. I did walk through it but unfortunately was rather tired after being somewhere else. It was late afternoon and kids were walking home from school and it was all rather unthreatening. There was a vendor area and some churches and banks and homes. You won't find anything like the Smithsonian.

There is a beach there but seems to be walled off close to the pier. The entrance must be further west but I didn't take time to find it.

On my way out in the morning I thought I saw some hustlers for a couple of blocks but walked past too quickly to find out what they were all about. Sorry.

The only time I've been to Falmouth we did an independent tour and don't remember much of what was outside the gates.

Inside the gates is a very clean, very safe, very sanitized version of Jamaica. There are shops and restaurants and a few more local vendors, but mostly traditional tourist shops.

We will be in Falmouth again next week and have decided to spend the day at My Silver Sands villas. They have a $10 pp day pass that gives you access to the beach, chairs, umbrellas, restrooms and the bar and grill. No pool access. It is a private beach and since we will be traveling with small children we wanted something a little more secure.

I think Jamaica is a beautiful place. We spent 10 days in Ochos Rios. Falmouth is about 45 from there. When we went there on a cruise we did an amazing tour with Liberty Tours to Blue hole. Highly recommend. The port itself is very nice and has lots of little shops. Personally, I wouldn't venture out on my own in that area beyond the gates without a tour.

Beyond the gates is scary. We drove through the town on our way to Hilton Rose Hall. No way would i walk around that town. rose hall is an all inclusive and we bought a day pass. We were the only ones from our ship there. Beautiful grounds, great food and drink.

Beyond the gates is scary. We drove through the town on our way to Hilton Rose Hall. No way would i walk around that town. rose hall is an all inclusive and we bought a day pass. We were the only ones from our ship there. Beautiful grounds, great food and drink.

Where did you get the day pass for Hilton Rose Hall?