GROOMS need a passport in Nassau?

Hi,

I know it is not required to have a passport until 2007 now.

But I heard that brides and grooms both still need one to get married, regardless of the passport rules. I have one, Fi does not.

We are arriving into Nassau via the Fantasy in April 2006 to be married in port.

Anyone know?

J.

Looks to me like your FI can use the same indentification he's going to use for the cruise (drivers license, birth certificate). Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!! Last I knew the passport requirement was for January 1, 2006, so I told ALL my guests to get passports! (I sent out the "Save the dates" in August, so I guess the rule was changed sometime between then and now) I am hoping that most of them haven't applied yet! Ugh!

Then again, if you see yourselves going on a lot of cruises in the future it might be worth it for your FI to just get one now :)

Here's the info on the Bahamas ministry of tourism site:

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/experience/templrgstandard.aspx?sectionid=49290

See No 5:

5. The parties must produce some form of identification which has a photograph attached. The identification document must have been issued by a Government Office in the country where the parties reside.

Maybe give them a call to double check? The phone number is at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps!

Carrie

...Last I knew the passport requirement was for January 1, 2006, so I told ALL my guests to get passports! (I sent out the "Save the dates" in August, so I guess the rule was changed sometime between then and now)...

I think that Hurricane Katrina had a part of it... a large passport office was located in New Orleans and it was wiped out. I'll have my Fiance get one anyways (since we plan to do some traveling).

Here's a bit of the newsletter regarding passports I get from *****.com:

"Under the original plan, the new passport requirements would have been phased in beginning on December 31, 2005. But after the timeline was announced, several groups lobbied to have the timeline or the requirements changed. Upon further review, the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security have acknowledged that implementing the plan as originally proposed would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. Therefore, the timeline for implementation has been revised as shown below:

Beginning December 31, 2006, a passport will be required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Beginning December 31, 2007, the passport requirement will be extended to include all land border crossings to or from the above-mentioned destinations. "

Thanks for your reply!!

Julie

Archived