Has any UK cruiser ever received an 'upsell' call?

Hi,

I often read about our US friends receiving calls offering higher grade cabins at a cheap/reasonable price - but do they ever do that for UK cruisers, either in & around Europe or anywhere else?

Anyone in the UK ever had one of those calls?

Just wondered :)

Thanks in advance for your replies .....

Jean

Hi there,

I can only comment on HAL. We received an upsell offer from them last year, but it would have cost more than if we had just booked that grade originally. Our American friends also received upsell offers at the same time, but theirs was much more competitive. The other problem is the time difference, we received the offer overnight and by the time we got up the next morning, availability had been taken by the USA market!!

Add to that the fact that RCI no longer have a UK call centre- I believe it's now located in Guatemala and I suspect it would be tricky to rely on.

It will be a pity if this was another thing that the UK market loose out on :(

No price matching if the price drops, no free cancellation - deposit always lost, no swapping guarantee staterooms (in same category) and now possibly no upsell calls .......

Think I might speak to my DH and tell him we should move to the US !! :D

Jean

No price matching if the price drops, no free cancellation - deposit always lost, no swapping guarantee staterooms (in same category) and now possibly no upsell calls .......

Jean

That's why we book through a US travel agent. ;)

You may consider moving to Australia? We got an upsell call for a JS to GS on Voyager 3 years ago, and when we went to the Concierge Lounge we met several other couples that had the same upsell. I think you are more likely to get the offer if it is a cruise on the edge of popular timings.

The cruise we had the offer on was at the end of Jan, just at the end of summer school holidays and before the grey nomads (retirees) feel safe travelling over Feb and March. We see the grey nomads travelling through in their caravans from the end of the first week or two of Feb.

We now book the cabin we want and tick the "no upgrade" option after having a upgrade and a guarantee allocation that we were not keen on.

Good luck with your upsell call. You never know!

Jean

Never looked back since we stared using a US travel agent. The Great Indy transatlantic cruise of Nov 2012, was useful in that respect! :D

Jean

Just use a US TA , you get all the benefits of the US market and the prices are usually lower too.

If you Google "US Cruise travel agents' you will find the correct one for your " Vacation" to go on.

You may consider moving to Australia? We got an upsell call for a JS to GS on Voyager 3 years ago, and when we went to the Concierge Lounge we met several other couples that had the same upsell. I think you are more likely to get the offer if it is a cruise on the edge of popular timings.

The cruise we had the offer on was at the end of Jan, just at the end of summer school holidays and before the grey nomads (retirees) feel safe travelling over Feb and March. We see the grey nomads travelling through in their caravans from the end of the first week or two of Feb.

We now book the cabin we want and tick the "no upgrade" option after having a upgrade and a guarantee allocation that we were not keen on.

Good luck with your upsell call. You never know!

Ok ! Australia it is !! ;)