Escursions in the mediterranean

Yari mommy of 2

So we are traveling July 1st leaving from Barcelona, SPAIN and its my husband and I and our 6 kids. We have kids from all ages 18, 17, 16, 6, 3, 1 at time of travel.

I usually always buy escursions from Carnival directly but it seems like the escursions in Europe are much more expensive.

Can anyone help as to who they used in the past or on their upcoming trip to europe to tour each port?

So we are traveling July 1st leaving from Barcelona, SPAIN and its my husband and I and our 6 kids. We have kids from all ages 18, 17, 16, 6, 3, 1 at time of travel.

I usually always buy escursions from Carnival directly but it seems like the escursions in Europe are much more expensive.

Can anyone help as to who they used in the past or on their upcoming trip to europe to tour each port?

Greetings, fellow Rhodie. Looks like we're just down the road from you. We're in the "Bucket" on the Seekonk line. Small world! Anyways, we're on the inaugural run of the Vista so we have a few different ports but here are the vendors that we will be using (many of them also have services in other ports as well).

Trieste - Tours by Locals - Slovenia tour

Dubrovnik - Self guided tour

Athens - PK Travel (Athens full day tour)

Izmir - Ephesus Professional Tours (Ephesus full day tour)

Crete - ScubaKreta (scuba diving)

Malta - Karlito's Way (custom private tour)

Palermo - Carnival excursion

Rome - Rome in Limo

Livorno - Rome in Limo (Florence/Pisa)

Marseilles - Italy Tours (Arles, Les Baux, St. Remy and Avignon)

Barcelona - Barcelona Day Tours (city tour and Montserrat and Cava tour)

I hope this helps some. Happy hunting and happy cruising!!

Gosh, you have a full van so you can book a share excursion and get cheap rates... well as cheap as rates can be in Europe, hahahaha..

IF you book 3 excursions through italytoursharing.com you get a discount.

I have done a Naples one where it goes to Positano/Sorrento Amalfi Coast with lunch 3x. It is my FAV!! I"m going there again in June on the Vista. You will find a variety on their site. Pick which ones interest you and go from there.

Just go to italytoursharing.com and sign up. I have used them each time I have been to europe and have been very happy. There are a few companies out there that cruisers use. You will be very happy using a private company as it is more personal and usually cheaper. You get to see more and they will take you to more authentic places IMO.

I have never had a problem with being late so no worries there either.

We're doing that same cruise in September with our kids that'll be 2 and 4! I'm slowly starting to do some port excursion research, but it's definitely a bit more challenging. If I come across anything helpful, I'll be sure to share. :D

Barcelona HOHO bus, you can get on and off to see the sights and the kids will enjoy it. Magic Fountains free. There is also a chocolate museum too.

Marsielles, a pig of a port. Last time transfers to the old port were $15 each.

Try a private tour. Look on trip advisor. Or search for a taxi to take you to the beach.

Livorno. Companies above plus romeinlimo. Pisa might be good with a baby in tow. Very busy, photo op with the tower, some nice places on the lawns to sit and have a picnic and Gelleto. You can pre book tower tickets online. The older kids could go up with the younger ones, whilst someone stays with the baby.

Rome, beach area in the port, unless you want a tour. Collos would appeal to your kids or the Cattacombes. Again Romeinlimo or other companies above.

Naples. I would do this one on your own dead easy. You walk off the boat and the hydrofoils are there, these take you to Capri and Soorento. Sorrento will be easier. Nice little road train ride when you get there. For three of us it was around $97 a couple of years ago plus the road train.

Messina, not a lot to do, maybe stay on the boat and enjoy, remember you have paid a fortune for this cruise, so eat their food and have fun on an empty ship.

Dubrovnik. Taxi tour for 4 is approx €50 (2013) for a 1 hour tour, you could get 2, or a taxi to town for €20, have a walk around maybe take the cable car.

Hope this helps. Also read lots of other trip reports on Carnival boards, celebrity, RCL, ncl.

On carnival search for med breeze, med sunshine, med dream, med legend reviews. That will help you decide.

It is ver hot in Europe think Las Vegas dry heat, it's not sticky humid like Europe.

It's also very expensive to eat too at restaurants. A Macdonalds for three in Barac cost us €18 back in 2010 which was around $35!!!!!

Hi-

I have done a Med. Cruise in 2013 and am doing my 2nd in the Vista in May- Athens to Barcelona.

In Naples and Florence, I have done tours with Rome in Limo. They are AMAZING! I would recommend them. In Naples I did the tour to Possitano, Sorrento and Pompeii. If you have kids it would not be too "historical" and boring for them. In Pompeii you are there about 2 hours and as it is all outside, they can run off energy! In Florence a RIL would be great too. As you have 8 people in your family you could do a tour with just your family.

In Malta and Rhodes I would suggest you do it yourself. In Malta the HOHO bus is very easy and doable.

In Rome- depends on what you want to do. If you plan on the Vatican, it may be too much for the very young kids and they would not really appreciate it. The Vatican can be very crowded. Rome is a city where you also can do it on your own, but the HOHO bus is not recommended. There are basically 3 ways to get from the Port into Rome. You could either do full tour- with RIL again, do a private transfer into Rome with the tour company or take the train. The train is cheaper but you don't get quite as long in Rome for the day. If you go on your own, get a good map and you can do it on your own.

In Messina, the kids may enjoy a tour to Mt Etna and yes RIL again.

Hope you enjoy!

Hello Yari - We are on the same Barcelona cruise!

1) check out the rollcall for this cruise. There are other families who have booked and are looking to share excursions... often at 1/3 of what carnival is charging.

2) for each port, we have a different plan - e.g. Palma de Mallorca, Spain we are totally on our own and walking around and in Livorno (Pisa) hiring a guide/car.

3) I am a cranston girl - relocated to CT

Welcome to the July 1 trip - check out the roll call