First time Msc Musica Dubai March 2016

Healthy1wales

Just back from this cruise.

Can't help with gim spa as never went.

Dress code, mostly casual even on formal nights.

If you need assistance ( like wheelchair for mum) ask and they will supply and give priority.

I did hop on hop of buses in Dubia and Musat. They are just outside and shuttle you to join the the tours. Good way to see lots. Taxes v cheap in Dubia 40 dirham (£8)with tip from Dubia mall to ship. Though buses run shuttle from port to boat .

Abu Dabui took taxi to grand mosque (£8ish) each way a must see. Free tours at 10,11 and 5.laid on by mosque. Need to be covered long sleeves arms covered and high necklong trousers or skirt, plus cover for hair, can hire cover up free of charge if needed.

In Khor al Fakkan went to Oceania hotel to use pool and beach,day pass £15ish they run shuttle where boat shuttle drops you off. Can also have lunch if you want.

Khassab MSC run shuttle into town fo€4 but there is nothing there. I did dowl cruise picked up at port gate €35 relaxing cruise saw dolphins and colourful fish.

Only thing to consider to get on boat need to climb across other boats also you sit on cushions on the floor. Think MSC do same cruise on more accessible boat.

If travelling with Etihad through Abu Dhabu they check you in on the boat give boarding passes and have baggage drop in terminal. Very civerlised.

The weather was perfect got a bit chilly when sun went down need cardigan.

Had a really good time.

Check out ports further down on cruise critic as some v useful information.

Hope this is of some help.

I know MSC really well, have been to UAE 6 times (4 cruises) and have spent around 6 weeks on the Musica but have never sailed on her in the Arabian Gulf.

Still should be able to give you plenty tips for onboard and ashore. Just fire away with your questions and I'll answer if I can.

For doing they UAE ports, taxis are a really good option. Safe, numerous, reliable and incredibly cheap by UK standards (no tax on fuel!) it's one of the few things that are incredibly cheap. If you give me an idea of what yiu enjoy doing, I can suggest some things for you. It would take me too long to type up all my favourite things to do in Dubai and none may appeal to you!

In Oman, taxis are not metered as they are in UAE, there are plenty of them and safe as well. You have to negotiate a fare with them and needless to say the price for clueless foreigners is higher than for the locals! The ones at the port can be 2 or 3 times more expensive than ones picked up elsewhere, so,perhaps walk out of the port and a bit further along the Corniche to get one. The Souk (Muttrah) is walking distance from the port and so is the surrounding old town and lovely Corniche. You could also consider HOHO bus.

I've been a few times now so I just head outntomthe Shangri La Barr al Jissah resort and get a day pass. They've got a nice quite beach, extensive gardens, several pools, lazy river, plenty of restaurants and a great spa (Chi). The day pass gives you a discount on spa treatments which you need to,prebook. My favourite is the Rose and Frankincense wrap one. Makes your skin so soft and the fragrance is divine, never want to wash it off!

AmoMondo,

Thanks for the tips. We are not in MSC but sailing RCI on similar itinerary mid Feb. I wonder if you can answer a few questions as I know you have done so much in the area. We have Burj Khalif booked for 10.30am on the morning the ship ports and stays overnight. From what you say a taxi from the port is the best way to get there, but not sure how long it will take to get to Dubai Mall. I believe we go there to pick up tickets and acces the Burj. Might do the Mall for lunch and then looking for something for the afternoon. Any ideas. Not keen on shops, just want to soak up the atmosphere and see the sights.

In Muscat do we need local currency for taxis or will they take UAE or $? Thanks for tip re going further out for a taxi. Any clue of ball park to mosque?

Many thanks

AmoMondo,

Thanks for the tips. We are not in MSC but sailing RCI on similar itinerary mid Feb. I wonder if you can answer a few questions as I know you have done so much in the area. We have Burj Khalif booked for 10.30am on the morning the ship ports and stays overnight. From what you say a taxi from the port is the best way to get there, but not sure how long it will take to get to Dubai Mall. I believe we go there to pick up tickets and acces the Burj. Might do the Mall for lunch and then looking for something for the afternoon. Any ideas. Not keen on shops, just want to soak up the atmosphere and see the sights.

In Muscat do we need local currency for taxis or will they take UAE or $? Thanks for tip re going further out for a taxi. Any clue of ball park to mosque?

Many thanks

There are several points where taxis drop off for Dubai Mall. Regardless head downstairs and follow the signs. Maybe allow yourselves 10-15 minutes to find where you're going (it is a gigantic mall) and the same again to actually collect the tickets and get in the queue for going up.

Not sure how long the taxi would take fro Port to Mall but it is not a huge distance 20 minutes maybe. Check on rome2rio or on the Dubai forum on Tripadvisor, there are loads of ex pats living there and frequent visitors who are really helpful.

There is just so much to do and see in Dubai, it really depends on what you like to do.

The evening fountain show is fabulous. I watched for the Thiptara Thaimrestauarnat in the Palace Hotel. You need to pre book that though and there is a minimum fee for being out on the Terrace. Not cheap but memorable. Or you could watch from somewhere along the lake.

I quite like some of the open air restaurants at the Douk al Bahar. Out the back of the Dubai Mall,(follow the signs for the Fountains, over the bridge and you're at the Souk. There is a terrace before you go in) I had a great lunch there once a t a Lebanese place. It was unlicensed but the big jug of chilled old fashioned lemonade hit the spot on a warm day. Not sure though if it will all be back to normal by the time you go, after the New Year fire at the Address.

Whate else? How about the traditional old souks on either side of Dubai Creek. You can ride an Abra across for peanuts. Or for 120AED (about £18) you get an Abra to yourselves for an hour and they take you on a ride down the creek and back up the other side. You pass all the Dhows at the Dhow Wharfage and the heritage house on the other side with the wind towers (early form of air conditioning) Dubao museum, looks a bit like a castle is there as well. The creek golf club does lunches and admits non members.

Or you could head down to JBR and the Matina. I like the hassle on The Wlak with the beach on the other side and the Marina just around the back. Loads and loads of cafes and restaurants. You can get boat trips from the Marina too.

I know you said not fussed about shopping but at Souk Madinant (complex of 5 star hotels built in Srabain style with loads of restaurants and shops in an old fashioned looking Srabian building. There is a wee river running through it and you can have an Abra ride there too. Also you get spectacular views of the Burj al Arab from there.

If you are there on a Friday, be aware that the metro doesn't run in the morning. Doing brunch is a Fubai thing. I'm not a huge fan of stuff yourself silly buffet, but the brunch at the Ivy in Jumeirah Emirates Tower is wonderful. There are a few options but all table service. I had the 8 course tasting one and loved it. Got the wine and cocktail,package with it. They have a live band on, mainly jazz but some other styles too. Needs to be booked in advance as it is packed out.

Or for something a bit more relaxing, head to Jumeirah Zabeel Saray on the Palm. Have afternoon tea on the terrace in their lobely gardens over looking the water. Then finish off in the Talisse Ottoman spa. Absolutely gorgeous. Thermal area is stunning.

So enough ideas for Dabia to start with! For Oman I've always had some Omania Reals with me. At the port they quote prices in euros as well. On the way back though, the cheaper taxis always tell you the price in OMR.

Wonderful! Thank you very much. Have you never fancied writing travel books? :).

I should may e take that up when I retire, I certainly don't lack opportunity for,topics with the amount of travelling I do. Wish I were somewhere else this morning, this storm is not pleasant but at least I still have power unlike folk in the Highlands.

We are just south of Perth and one of the big oak trees in our neighbours garden came down last night. It is enormous and just missed their house and cars. Our house shook when it fell in the night! Dubai here we come :)

We are just south of Perth and one of the big oak trees in our neighbours garden came down last night. It is enormous and just missed their house and cars. Our house shook when it fell in the night! Dubai here we come :)

Bet you're counting the days!

Storm Gertrude seems to have done her worst and disappeared now. However we've now got the white stuff but so far not much. Let's hope it stays that way.

Can the Dirham be used in Oman? Was just going to take them and a few Euros for the ship,

Maybe, but you may not get the best rate. Never heard any of the taxi drivers offering to take the. They were quoting prices in euros and Reals.

The Dolphin cruise co that I was dealing with for a cruise at Khasab wanted to be paid in euros.

As I almost always FIY, I always use local currency.

Edited by AmoMondo

So it's ok to use Euros?

I am taking Euros as well but didn't want to have to take a 3rd currency.

Well the taxis at the port (who were ridiculously expensive) and a tour operator in Khasab were willing to take euros. Taxis back were definitely in OMR. I don't think euros are accepted everywhere and neither would dirhams. It really depends on what you intend doing though.

It is very easy to get local currency. In Abu Dhabi we forgot to go to an ATM in the airport but found one at the cruise terminal.

If you arrive in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi, I would suggest to get some money from an ATM.

In Khasab we could pay the local touroperator in AED but also Euros were accepted.

In Muscat there are many ATM's also close to the port entrance. So I would auggest to get some OMR there. We got Rials for appr. 50 Euro.

If you have any money left, you can always use at the airport you fly back home from. We had some ledt but it is in total not worth more than Euro 30,- so I will keep it for future trips. i even think that you can use it at any large airport in the world to pay but I am not sure about that.

There are several points where taxis drop off for Dubai Mall. Regardless head downstairs and follow the signs. Maybe allow yourselves 10-15 minutes to find where you're going (it is a gigantic mall) and the same again to actually collect the tickets and get in the queue for going up.

Not sure how long the taxi would take fro Port to Mall but it is not a huge distance 20 minutes maybe. Check on rome2rio or on the Dubai forum on Tripadvisor, there are loads of ex pats living there and frequent visitors who are really helpful.

There is just so much to do and see in Dubai, it really depends on what you like to do.

The evening fountain show is fabulous. I watched for the Thiptara Thaimrestauarnat in the Palace Hotel. You need to pre book that though and there is a minimum fee for being out on the Terrace. Not cheap but memorable. Or you could watch from somewhere along the lake.

I quite like some of the open air restaurants at the Douk al Bahar. Out the back of the Dubai Mall,(follow the signs for the Fountains, over the bridge and you're at the Souk. There is a terrace before you go in) I had a great lunch there once a t a Lebanese place. It was unlicensed but the big jug of chilled old fashioned lemonade hit the spot on a warm day. Not sure though if it will all be back to normal by the time you go, after the New Year fire at the Address.

Whate else? How about the traditional old souks on either side of Dubai Creek. You can ride an Abra across for peanuts. Or for 120AED (about £18) you get an Abra to yourselves for an hour and they take you on a ride down the creek and back up the other side. You pass all the Dhows at the Dhow Wharfage and the heritage house on the other side with the wind towers (early form of air conditioning) Dubao museum, looks a bit like a castle is there as well. The creek golf club does lunches and admits non members.

Or you could head down to JBR and the Matina. I like the hassle on The Wlak with the beach on the other side and the Marina just around the back. Loads and loads of cafes and restaurants. You can get boat trips from the Marina too.

I know you said not fussed about shopping but at Souk Madinant (complex of 5 star hotels built in Srabain style with loads of restaurants and shops in an old fashioned looking Srabian building. There is a wee river running through it and you can have an Abra ride there too. Also you get spectacular views of the Burj al Arab from there.

If you are there on a Friday, be aware that the metro doesn't run in the morning. Doing brunch is a Fubai thing. I'm not a huge fan of stuff yourself silly buffet, but the brunch at the Ivy in Jumeirah Emirates Tower is wonderful. There are a few options but all table service. I had the 8 course tasting one and loved it. Got the wine and cocktail,package with it. They have a live band on, mainly jazz but some other styles too. Needs to be booked in advance as it is packed out.

Or for something a bit more relaxing, head to Jumeirah Zabeel Saray on the Palm. Have afternoon tea on the terrace in their lobely gardens over looking the water. Then finish off in the Talisse Ottoman spa. Absolutely gorgeous. Thermal area is stunning.

So enough ideas for Dabia to start with! For Oman I've always had some Omania Reals with me. At the port they quote prices in euros as well. On the way back though, the cheaper taxis always tell you the price in OMR.

I agree with every suggestion made here. Dubai Creek Cruise, Dubai Museum, Dubai Gold Souk, Dubai Marina, Mall of the Emirates, Burj Khalifa, The Palm and Souk Madinat are all must dos! May I add one more, if you can spare a hefty €175 for Afternoon Tea at the Burj al Arab than I thoroughly recommend it.

Dubai remains an all time favourite port of mine!

You can read what we did on our Costa Dubai cruise this time last year here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

Edited by tomvet