Graduation cruise?

Hello again. For those of you who don't know, I am an 18-year-old male, and I am Loyal to Royal :)

I am graduating from high school this year, and for summer I'm thinking of going on a cruise - and maybe even bringing a partner along (if I had one... :()

My dad, who doesn't yet know about my idea, is in charge of this kinda stuff, and flies us to the port on the day of the cruise, which he, judging by the last cruise I was on, should never do again. When it comes to cruising, I really feel the need to convince him into following the fly-in-the-day-before idea, and my mother strongly agrees, but I don't know how I can do that, because he likes to follow his own rules.

That's beside the point of this post. Like I said before, I am Loyal to Royal. As far as ships go, I'd go on a Freedom-class, Oasis-class or even Quantum-class ship because my dad wouldn't want to go on any older ships, given their age, even with all the refurbishments. The oldest and smallest we've sailed is Voyager-class, and we've never sailed Radiance-class.

One option I have is the Freedom, which I've been on a couple times, but not in almost a decade. The itinerary I'm thinking of that I searched up was the Western Caribbean itinerary - Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I also thought of Liberty, which I would probably go on for all its recent refurbishments, especially the giant slides :D. I have not been on that ship before. The itinerary I'm thinking of that I searched up goes to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth.

I don't want to go on Independence, because her sailings this summer are about 2 weeks long. 7 to 9 days are enough for me.

Having been on Oasis three times in a row, I don't want to go on there again.

Not too sure about the Allure. Haven't been on there before. Yes, I know, the Oasis and Allure have their differences, but after the Allure's upgrades, it looks to me like both ships are almost identical as far as amenities go. That's just me though. One itinerary I thought of goes to St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. I also thought of the Western Caribbean itinerary - Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee.

I'm not very keen on going on the Harmony. For the summer, it's sailing the Mediterranean. Don't get me wrong; I'd definitely go see all the landmarks in Spain and Italy someday, but for such a big ship the Harmony is going to be, these itineraries have only one sea day, and too many port days.

The Anthem - not too sure. I live about an hour away from the Anthem's homeport of Bayonne. The 5-day sailings to Bermuda would be too short for me. There aren't any 7-day sailings, and I'm not too sure if my parents would be able to handle a sailing as long as 9 nights.

Truth be told, maybe I wouldn't go back on an Oasis-class ship for a while, because the sheer size is starting to overwhelm me a little, but I'm open to your opinions, ideas and recommendations. :)

Hi Mike!

Happy (upcoming) graduation! What a great time.

We live in Maryland, about three hours from Bayonne - and Anthem. I showed this to my daughter as a potential for her graduation trip, but she was NOT interested at all.

We decided on Allure - western sailing for several reasons. She wanted to go to Florida (and warmth) first, and Allure seems to have more things that appeal to a younger crowd. Oasis has Cats as a show, and that did not appeal, but ABBA's Mamma Mia is more fun and upbeat. It seems the ports of Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee (assuming everything is calmer politically in Haiti by late May) just seemed more youthful. Because the Oasis class ships are larger, it's likely there will be more people in that 17-20 demographic, too. We can't wait for May to get here.

I am sure whatever cruise you decide on will be awesome - and again, congratulations and happy graduation!!!

PS...Are you digging out from all this snow? We have three feet of the stuff!!!!

Hi Mike!

Happy (upcoming) graduation! What a great time.

We live in Maryland, about three hours from Bayonne - and Anthem. I showed this to my daughter as a potential for her graduation trip, but she was NOT interested at all.

We decided on Allure - western sailing for several reasons. She wanted to go to Florida (and warmth) first, and Allure seems to have more things that appeal to a younger crowd. Oasis has Cats as a show, and that did not appeal, but ABBA's Mamma Mia is more fun and upbeat. It seems the ports of Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee (assuming everything is calmer politically in Haiti by late May) just seemed more youthful. Because the Oasis class ships are larger, it's likely there will be more people in that 17-20 demographic, too. We can't wait for May to get here.

I am sure whatever cruise you decide on will be awesome - and again, congratulations and happy graduation!!!

PS...Are you digging out from all this snow? We have three feet of the stuff!!!!

I live in PA, and we got about 32 inches of snow. I've lost 2 days of school in a row because of this. My school doesn't graduate until early June.

And thanks! :D

As the mother of a 14 & 19 year old, I think you would like Liberty. I was on her before the refurbishment. My daughters can't wait to try out the water slides. I didn't feel as crowded on the Liberty, though it didn't feel like Oasis was overly so. But you can tell there are less people on Liberty. Also, keep encouraging your dad to fly in a day before!

Hello again. For those of you who don't know, I am an 18-year-old male, and I am Loyal to Royal :)

I am graduating from high school this year, and for summer I'm thinking of going on a cruise - and maybe even bringing a partner along (if I had one... :()

My dad, who doesn't yet know about my idea, is in charge of this kinda stuff, and flies us to the port on the day of the cruise, which he, judging by the last cruise I was on, should never do again. When it comes to cruising, I really feel the need to convince him into following the fly-in-the-day-before idea, and my mother strongly agrees, but I don't know how I can do that, because he likes to follow his own rules.

That's beside the point of this post. Like I said before, I am Loyal to Royal. As far as ships go, I'd go on a Freedom-class, Oasis-class or even Quantum-class ship because my dad wouldn't want to go on any older ships, given their age, even with all the refurbishments. The oldest and smallest we've sailed is Voyager-class, and we've never sailed Radiance-class.

One option I have is the Freedom, which I've been on a couple times, but not in almost a decade. The itinerary I'm thinking of that I searched up was the Western Caribbean itinerary - Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I also thought of Liberty, which I would probably go on for all its recent refurbishments, especially the giant slides :D. I have not been on that ship before. The itinerary I'm thinking of that I searched up goes to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth.

I don't want to go on Independence, because her sailings this summer are about 2 weeks long. 7 to 9 days are enough for me.

Having been on Oasis three times in a row, I don't want to go on there again.

Not too sure about the Allure. Haven't been on there before. Yes, I know, the Oasis and Allure have their differences, but after the Allure's upgrades, it looks to me like both ships are almost identical as far as amenities go. That's just me though. One itinerary I thought of goes to St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. I also thought of the Western Caribbean itinerary - Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee.

I'm not very keen on going on the Harmony. For the summer, it's sailing the Mediterranean. Don't get me wrong; I'd definitely go see all the landmarks in Spain and Italy someday, but for such a big ship the Harmony is going to be, these itineraries have only one sea day, and too many port days.

The Anthem - not too sure. I live about an hour away from the Anthem's homeport of Bayonne. The 5-day sailings to Bermuda would be too short for me. There aren't any 7-day sailings, and I'm not too sure if my parents would be able to handle a sailing as long as 9 nights.

Truth be told, maybe I wouldn't go back on an Oasis-class ship for a while, because the sheer size is starting to overwhelm me a little, but I'm open to your opinions, ideas and recommendations. :)

You can find many horror stories in cc about passengers having airline issues the day of a cruise and missing the ship or luggage. It is well worth the cost of a hotel room to fly in the day before cruising. IMHO.

Edited by Johnamac123

You can find many horror stories in cc about passengers having airline issues the day of a cruise and missing the ship or luggage. It is well worth the cost of a hotel room to fly in the day before cruising. IMHO.

On the last cruise we were on, our flight was really early in the morning, so we were in kind of a rush. Luckily, we caught our flight on time. Unfortunately, out of all the checked baggage we brought, my bag just happened to be the one bag that the airline lost. We couldn't retrieve it until the next day, when we were in Nassau.

At least the cruise itself was a fantastic experience, especially for me! You can check out my review of it in the link below, and I also did vlogs for it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2248578