Dolphin Encounter Through Carnival

texas greeneyes

Would like to hear from those who have experienced the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel (NOT Dolphin Swim) booked through Carnival. How long did each person get to interact with the dolphins? What else did you do? How much did you tip the excursion guide? What time did you return to port to reboard the ship? Any information or advice will be gratefully received. Thanks!

It doesn't matter who you go thru to do the captive dolphin encounter, it will pretty much be the same. Even if you go thru carnival, you still take a taxi to Chankanaab and return to the ship by taxi. The difference being with the ship's excursion they give you a voucher for the taxi but if you go on your own, you pay directly to the driver. There is no set schedule for the encounter, just a time you have to be there for the start of your group. If your group time is 2:00 pm, you still can go to the park anytime you want, as long as you are there by 2:00. You can also stay as long as you feel comfortable, or leave right away. One benefit of going on your own is that when you leave the park, you don't have to go directly back to the ship like you might have to do with the ship's excursion voucher.

The rest of the encounter information can be found at http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

I have questions about the tour also. What do we do with our belongings while we are in the water. Are there lockers? Also, the ship gave us the time 9:30 to 12:30 for the excursion so our time with the dolphins should be sometime in that time period? I want to get back to go shopping. This my first time to ask a question so I am sorry in advance if I have done this wrong.

The Encounter normally lasts about 45 minutes from beginning to end- with about 25 minutes or so in the water with the dolphin. There is a video you watch first and then a short briefing and sometimes an occasional stop on the way to take a picture with a parrot or their sloth once you get fitted with your lifejacket and then you make your way out to the pier. This is what is offered to the public- I'm guessing the cruise ship is similar.

Welcome to cruise critic.

I have questions about the tour also. What do we do with our belongings while we are in the water. Are there lockers?
Yes, there are lockers and showers too for afterwards. You don't want to leave the salt water on you to dry. Your hair will be especially yucky from the salt water if you don't rinse it.

Also, the ship gave us the time 9:30 to 12:30 for the excursion so our time with the dolphins should be sometime in that time period?
My experience was that they gave you a start time for your group, so I would think that the whole excursion would last from 9:30 to 12:30 and it would start at 9:30. I'm sure they will give better instruction once you are on the ship.

I want to get back to go shopping.
Most people do, so you won't be alone. If you want the easiest, no haggling shopping, I recommend Los Cinco Soles. Their biggest store is in town 5 blocks north from the Plaza along the water front. If you want to haggle about price, then you will find better values away from the water front at least 1 block out from the Plaza. There will also be shopping at each of the cruise piers, so you definitely not miss the chance to shop.

This my first time to ask a question so I am sorry in advance if I have done this wrong.
No need to be sorry, your first post was perfect.

Enjoy Cozumel and be sure to ask any more questions you might think of.

Bruce

Thanks so much for the information. I guess you can tell this is our first cruise and we are unsure about lots of things. I know they will give us details on the ship but by then it is too late to cancel. Our cruise is not until the end of January. This site has been extremely helpful just by reading the posts.

:) Try Cozumel Insider.com. They have some great package deals right now that not only include the Dolphin Swim but also the Sea Lion Show and entrance fees to the park. If you paid separately they would add up to a bundle of $.

Here are the charges separately:

1. $10 Taxi fee each way to and from ship

2. $5 for the Sea Lion Show

3. $12 Entrance Fee into the park

4. Than add your level of Dolphin show $

Don't book through the cruise line they are too high in price. Go to the following for comparison:

ShoreTrips.com

Cozumel Insider.com

Dolphin Discovery. com

Have fun on your cruize!

The packages are great deals as mentioned earlier. There are some great promos now too for all the activities - Specifically the Enounter - Children under 5 free with paid adult, and free sea lion show. Also if you happen to be in Cozumel on Sat/Sun/Mon you qualify for free park entry on any of the activitys.

Archived