Question for Canadian Cruisers using Rogers phone plans

As Rogers does not provide any kind of package while at sea, how do you stay in touch with your travelling companions? It's a non-issue when I travel with my husband but this time, my 16 year old grandson (virgin cruiser) is my travel companion. We were going to do the post-it notes on the mirror in the stateroom if plans change for meeting up but it's not that convenient and I can't imagine that either of us will remember to check the phone to see if there are messages. So, is our only alternative to buy the ship's internet package for our smartphones so that we can text or use Whats App?

As Rogers does not provide any kind of package while at sea, how do you stay in touch with your travelling companions? It's a non-issue when I travel with my husband but this time, my 16 year old grandson (virgin cruiser) is my travel companion. We were going to do the post-it notes on the mirror in the stateroom if plans change for meeting up but it's not that convenient and I can't imagine that either of us will remember to check the phone to see if there are messages. So, is our only alternative to buy the ship's internet package for our smartphones so that we can text or use Whats App?

I have FIDO but they buy services from Rogers, so same thing. I pay for a US pkg. when we will be in the US ports or traveling throughout the US. As long as the ship is in port I can use whatever the phone service has picked up (in the US, it is often A T and T) and there are no additional charges, even if I am on the ship. I haven't tried texting onboard with the wifi, we have used email only. I'm not sure if it would cover texting or not. Wifi can be spotty at best, it can depend on the ship, where you are on the ship and where the hot spots are. I have seen horror stories from people who have used their phones frequently on ships and received a huge cell phone bill the next month.

Lots of families use the little walkie talkies,I'm not sure if that is a good solution for you or not.

Dee

I have FIDO but they buy services from Rogers, so same thing. I pay for a US pkg. when we will be in the US ports or traveling throughout the US. As long as the ship is in port I can use whatever the phone service has picked up (in the US, it is often A T and T) and there are no additional charges, even if I am on the ship. I haven't tried texting onboard with the wifi, we have used email only. I'm not sure if it would cover texting or not. Wifi can be spotty at best, it can depend on the ship, where you are on the ship and where the hot spots are. I have seen horror stories from people who have used their phones frequently on ships and received a huge cell phone bill the next month.

Lots of families use the little walkie talkies,I'm not sure if that is a good solution for you or not.

Dee

I use Rogers "Roam like Home" for $10 a day in the US but how does it work when you're not in a US port?

We have one phone with Rogers and one with Bell. AFAIK neither of them offer any sort of package for cruise ships. Texts are free to receive, but .75 to send. You could buy internet wifi time, but that is hard to manage on a phone which tends to try and download everything at once and not just a single app.

I would encourage leaving the electronics in the cabin (which might take the average 16 year old a bit of getting used to). Use the voicemail on the phone if you must, or just a dry erase board from the dollar store.

As other have said, there is usually free/cheap wifi in every port (check the ports of call section of CC for details). Just look for where the crew members are gathered, or ask them. They'll know.

Just make sure you have your data on the phone set to "off when roaming" to avoid surprise bills.