Virgin Gorda Baths trip - how do the paths work?

Jezo

Are the caves part of the path that takes you between the beaches or is it a side trip?

From reading all of this we first go down the path the Baths, the right hand side, then arrive at the beach, and then the caves are to the left when facing the water, so walk along that way, but what happens after the caves? Do I end up at Devil's Bay or am I someplace else?

Parking Lot -> Right Side Path To The Baths -> Walk Left -> Caves -> ??? -> Back up to the parking lot.

If you take the path directly to the Baths then through the caves, you will be at Devils Bay... From there, just continue on the longer path back up to the parking area...

It's like a hiking trail in the woods. You can see where to go. We went on our own off a sailboat. There were ladders and narrow spots to navigate. The trail goes up a hill and ends at a restaurant. It is a very cool experience. Don't miss it if you are mobile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took awhile but I found it. This is what we used to navigate on our own. Devils Bay is on the left at the end #14.

mini-map.gif

Key to Using the Map

A. Beach. Dinghy landings are prohibited, but there is a dinghy mooring and you can swim to the beach.

B. Shrubs. You may leave snorkeling equipment while exploring the boulders. Also, site of vendors selling T-shirts and shells.

C. Poor Man's Bar. Sells drinks, hamburgers, T-shirts.

D. Trail to taxi drop-off, about a 7 minute easy walk.

E. Snorkeling is quite good in this area for fish; also, to the north where you can find Elk Horn Coral formations. West of the dinghy landing.

1. Entrance. You'll have to crouch and waddle like a duck here!

2. Shelf Boulder. Note fault through top of adjacent boulder to right of this boulder.

3. North Cabe. Note deep holes caused by uneven erosion. Also, note the size of this boulder, one of the largest here.

4. "The Baths." A great photo opportunity! Notice on the huge boulder to your right the beautiful markings caused by chemical reaction of rain water (weak carbonic acid) with minerals.

5. The Throne. Another fun photo opportunity.

6. Ship's Keep Boulder. As you stand under this boulder look at its shape. Doesn't it look like the keel of a sailboat to you?

7. Walk under the ship's keel as far as you can to the south, then turn around and look up. This magnificent tunnel is Neptune's Hideaway. Notice the pitting on the boulders on your left. Now retrace your steps back out to the edge of the first pool.

8. The Cathedral. Look up and marvel at the limited points of contact between the massive boulders above you!

9. Tarzan Land. The roots are of pomegranate trees which you'll see when you climb above in a moment or two.

10. Boulder House. Notice how dry it is in here, even when it rains. Now retrace your steps a few yards and turn to your left and start up the incline. Look to you right to see ...

11. Geodesic Cave. One of the prettiest, most intricate of the caves. Another great photo opportunity. Continue to climb up. Just as you emerge between the two boulders, look ahead to see ...

12. Whale's Head. Notice to the left of the whale's mouth an obelisk which was once part of the Whale's Head boulder. Stand near the obelisk now and look to the west to find the entrance to Neptune's Hideaway. Now a new shape has emerged!

13. Lion's Head. Start at the top of the boulder and let your eye follow the line down to the left. Do you see the lion's forehead and nose? See his upper jaw, his eye, the markings on his face and his mane. 14. Ethiopian Head. A striking formation to the left of the lion.

Are the caves part of the path that takes you between the beaches or is it a side trip?

From reading all of this we first go down the path the Baths, the right hand side, then arrive at the beach, and then the caves are to the left when facing the water, so walk along that way, but what happens after the caves? Do I end up at Devil's Bay or am I someplace else?

Parking Lot -> Right Side Path To The Baths -> Walk Left -> Caves -> ??? -> Back up to the parking lot.

Yes you end up at Devils bay. You will see the sign leading up the path back to the parking lot and taxis. It's very easy

IMHO all this confusion is being caused by a few things

1. Posters here that insist they don't want to follow the counterclockwise way but feel the need to buck the system....which will cause crowding issues and a massive traffic Jan inside the boulders aka the caves

2. Posters who for some reason feel the path and the caves are a major obstacle. ( go zipping in St Lucia if you want to see an uphill path that is a major major obstacle and you will be carting 50 pounds of equipment after zipping ). the caves are not a major obstacle if you are in decent shape. You can be fat you won't get stuck but you will need to be able to crouch down in some stops....think attic crawl space. If you are using a walker or had recent surgery you are nuts to attempt it and you can just walk back up the way you came down. Trust me when I tell you that the various types [emoji79] of pax you see on the ship will do the caves You know what I mean!!!

3. Posters here who just can't travel light and want to bring every single piece of beach stuff they have with them. Don't do this!!!!! Just a small string bag with lotion and towel and camera in waterproof bag will suffice.

4. Posters who wear the wrong shoes. Just get teva type sandals at a Payless or Walmart. You will use them in the future they last forever.

I was surprised how easy this whole excursion was.

And what about the people going thru the caves? Since you were technically going the wrong way...didn't you cause a traffic jam?

No...no traffic jam. We did come to a stop as people were coming the other way so we just went through another opening and found ourselves in an area of the baths totally alone on our own. It's not always good to follow the flow...sometimes you get the better experience by going on your own path. It sure worked out well for us and we didn't hold anyone else up while having a great experience.

Wouldn't you think that if making a choice caused "major traffic jams" and "disrupted everyone's experience", they would make it one way only? Why would they allow you to go as you please if it was a major disruption? Your choice, how would anyone tell you that you have to wait while all of the others go first? Kind of like a four way stop intersection. First one then another. The choice to go either way is yours. Have fun!!!

OK - one other quick question! I will be with a non-swimmer - up to the chest OK - but no real swimming. Are there areas where one has to actually swim to get through the rocks?

If you are just going from the Baths to Devils Bay through the caves, there is no swimming involved... Only about knee deep or a bit more at the most...

Upon arrival here's how to do it. If you are at all claustrophobic do not go to the right thru the caves ! I went left and although it's a little bumpy you don't have to get on your hands and knees. I tried the caves and after the first attempt I turned the hell around. Go left, no lines there. And still very scenic. Once you get to Devils bay it's amazing.

My husband has a hard time climbing. Would this be an appropriate excursion for him to try or are we better off skipping this? Could we just stay at the bath area and would this be an easier walk for him?

You can't get anywhere if he has mobility issues. I wouldn't risk it. My dad fell and saw another guy all cut up too.

There is a snorkel to the baths excursion btw. Your husband would just stay on the boat of course but would be able to see the beauty of the area nonetheless. Many snorkeling excursions I've been on have people forgoing snorkeling and staying on the boat They do the excursion to be with their families I guess

Edited by luvtheships