NCL Dining

croozer

......And here's my solution: The hostess should ask each and every person entering the dining room if they would like to share or have their own table. If even 10 per cent of the people respond "share," there would be a more lively atmosphere in the dining room. The people who want their own table would feel like they've won, because there's plenty of tables for two and four and they feel special because their choice is accommodated. The people who want to share would feel like they've won, since they will have dinner companions.......

An excellent idea. This topic has alarmed me as I am cruising on Epic later this year. I don't mind eating on my own in the buffet but would rather share a large table when eating in the MDR. The other cruise lines I have used have no problem with this. On entering the dining room I say "a large table if possible please, preferably with XXXX waiters" :)

I was really nervous about this on my first solo trip on the Epic a few years ago. When I walked on board and went to O'Sheehan's for my first my meal, my stomach was in knots. However, they asked if I wanted to be seated with others and found me a nice couple to share lunch with. Whew!!! I then went to the solo meet up the first few nights and went to dinner with the group. I also went to the Meet and Greets and was active on the Roll Call. I made many friends and we eventually made our own dinner plans. I never had a meal alone (even a married couple we met joined us more than once). It was absolutely an amazing week. I sail "solo" again 3 weeks from today on the Escape, but 4 other solos from that first cruise will also be on board. From everything I have read and experienced, it seems the Epic and Away ships are the best for solo passengers and the bar in the studio lounge was a great place to meet and mingle (evidently Escape forgot the bar part - lol).

It's good to know about the older class ships, I probably would be hesitant to travel solo on them. :)

By the way implying that someone who decides to eat by him/herself and is staring off into space has a miserable time and would prefer to have the usual small-talk with some random strangers is far away from reality.

Totally agree with you on that. I always prefer to eat alone or with just on person if I really like their company. Have no interest in big group dinners. I like my peace and quiet.

I was really nervous about this on my first solo trip on the Epic a few years ago. When I walked on board and went to O'Sheehan's for my first my meal, my stomach was in knots. However, they asked if I wanted to be seated with others and found me a nice couple to share lunch with. Whew!!! I then went to the solo meet up the first few nights and went to dinner with the group. I also went to the Meet and Greets and was active on the Roll Call. I made many friends and we eventually made our own dinner plans. I never had a meal alone (even a married couple we met joined us more than once). It was absolutely an amazing week. I sail "solo" again 3 weeks from today on the Escape, but 4 other solos from that first cruise will also be on board. From everything I have read and experienced, it seems the Epic and Away ships are the best for solo passengers and the bar in the studio lounge was a great place to meet and mingle (evidently Escape forgot the bar part - lol).

It's good to know about the older class ships, I probably would be hesitant to travel solo on them. :)

I'm sailing solo for the first time on NCL, in fact it is on the same cruise. I'm really looking to meeting others through the lounge. I like my own company, but definitely appreciate the opportunity to enjoy a meal with others. Perhaps we'll run into each other.

I'm sailing solo for the first time on NCL, in fact it is on the same cruise. I'm really looking to meeting others through the lounge. I like my own company, but definitely appreciate the opportunity to enjoy a meal with others. Perhaps we'll run into each other.

Absolutely! I will be at the solo gathering on the first night for sure! I think they hold it in one of the bars on Escape; rather than the lounge.

Absolutely! I will be at the solo gathering on the first night for sure! I think they hold it in one of the bars on Escape; rather than the lounge.

The gathering starts in a bar to gather up non-studio guests. The meeting really doesn't begin until they're taken to the studio lounge. So you could just start out at the lounge and talk amongst yourselves while waiting or start out at the bar and meet folks there and walk back down.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I just returned from my first NCL cruise in a long time. On other lines, I always chose fixed seating but this was not an option on the NCL Jewel, so I was kinda looking forward to anytime dining and meeting new people. I've enjoyed open dining during breakfast and lunch on other cruise lines, so I was kinda looking forward to different tables each night. I've heard that the advantage is that you meet new people each night; the disadvantage is you rarely see them again and the conversation is entry level (Where are you from? What other cruises have you been on?) each night--kind of a Groundhog Day type of dinner every evening.

Well, each meal until I gave up, I went to check in and asked for a table to share, and they do not do this, it seems. They were willing to seat me and see if they could round up some other people, but they preferred just seating people alone, in ones and twos and groups that came in together.

I ate every meal, except one, alone with my book.

I'm pretty independent and like to be left alone most of the time, but I do enjoy conversation and new people at dinner. I'm not looking for a singles table, just joining others in camaraderie for a meal.

Is this the way it is on all NCL ships? Can anyone share their experience? I don't want to go on another NCL ship if this is a fleet-wide policy.

NCL nor the passengers on NCL for the most part do not wish to accommodate solo sailors even though they have single cabins. I did several different sailings on different ships as a presenter back when NCL actually offered intellectual talks rather than just hairy leg contests. Only had two evenings sharing a table and to be honest with you eating alone though terrible was better than the two sharing experiences. One learns fast why the hairy leg contest is more popular than anything where people might learn something. You could not give me a free NCL cruise.

Lakesregion, I just signed onto the Cruise Critic board for my upcoming trip next month (on another line.) While perusing the posts, one of them added this sentence: " BTW, we normally book Open Seating so that we get to mix and mingle."

This is the type of dining I had hoped for on NCL. This is the type of anytime dining I've experienced on other lines. It's not a question of dining with other solos so much as simply dining with other passengers. NCL is not responsible for the quality or behavior of the passengers, but they should be responsible for giving you the choice to opt in or not.

Lakesregion, I just signed onto the Cruise Critic board for my upcoming trip next month (on another line.) While perusing the posts, one of them added this sentence: " BTW, we normally book Open Seating so that we get to mix and mingle."

This is the type of dining I had hoped for on NCL. This is the type of anytime dining I've experienced on other lines. It's not a question of dining with other solos so much as simply dining with other passengers. NCL is not responsible for the quality or behavior of the passengers, but they should be responsible for giving you the choice to opt in or not.

I think it just may be that NCL isn't the line for you. Many people cruise NCL for exactly the reason you don't like it! When people compare cruise lines one of the positives they often bring up about NCL is that they don't want to eat with strangers. Some even go as far as being indignant if they're even asked if they want to share a table! LOL.

I think you're absolutely right, Quilting Cruiser. I'm just disappointed, because there are so many other things about NCL that are commendable but the lack of conversation and conviviality at meals is a dealbreaker for me. Apparently, it's a dealmaker for others, so to each his or her own. But I do enjoy hearing both sides of this issue :)

I think you're absolutely right, Quilting Cruiser. I'm just disappointed, because there are so many other things about NCL that are commendable but the lack of conversation and conviviality at meals is a dealbreaker for me. Apparently, it's a dealmaker for others, so to each his or her own. But I do enjoy hearing both sides of this issue :)

I totally understand that. We all have our preferences. I enjoy the discussions on here when people are reasonable and don't get rude and abusive. It's interesting to hear what others prioritize in their cruising experiences. For me, it's peace and quiet--the entertainment or live music isn't important, but for some it's at the top of the list!

It really is about personal preference. One of the things I like about NCL is that I can dine alone which is what I prefer. I've sailed on other ships where being seated with others is expected, and I really did not enjoy that at all. I remember when my husband and I were on our honeymoon cruise, we had a tough time getting a table for two on Celebrity, but we did.

This is my last cruise on NCL for the foreseeable future, and next year I will be on RCCL as a solo. I am hoping that I will not have a problem securing a table to dine alone.

It's interesting that people (and I suppose cruise lines) automatically assume that those who sail solo want the company of others. That is not always the case. I am happy for those who seek out the socials and meet and greets to find people to hang out and dine with; but just as there are those who do not want to dine alone, there are those who do, and should be accommodated as well (especially if we have to pay a 200% supplement in some instances).

Long time NCL solo cruiser......

while NCL offers studio cabins, they really need to make a better effort at table sharing in the MDR for dinners in particular. Its been my experience they rarely have cruisers share tables. Ive said Ill share at breakfast and lunch, and id say 20% of the time Id share a breakfast table, less fir lunch. When i questioned the hostess about this, she said people prefer to dine with their travel companions only. Bottom line, youll have to join folks from the solo gathering or meet up with Cruise Critic buddies[emoji178][emoji307][emoji180]

I will be cruising next week on NCL Getaway, my first time cruising in a studio cabin but not my first time cruising solo. Because you need to make reservations for dinner ahead of time on line in order to dine at the more popular dining times, I was advised by an NCL rep. to reserve for 4 even though I am traveling solo. She said if I don't find table mates (solo cruisers or others) for the nights I reserved I can cancel my reservations on the ship (preferably 24 hours prior to reservation time). So, since the reservation system won't let me make a reservation for one at most of the dining venues I had to book for 2 or more to secure a time and find my own table mates or join the other solo cruisers at the location and time selected by the solo organizer on the ship (or dine alone at the buffet, etc).

I do not have a preference whether I dine with other solo cruisers, couples or families. I am also more use to assigned dining times and the same table in the dining room every night. Luckily I am quite outgoing and don't think it will be too much of a problem approching others to find dining companions, but it is odd, in my opinion, that this is what I was advised to do. Why can't I make a reservation for One if I am cruising solo in a studio cabin for One? This cruise will help me decide if NCL free style dining is for me or not.

I do plan to attend the scheduled solo gathering at least the first couple days on board. I'm guessing I will meet others who did not book dining reservations ahead on the my NCL page, so I think finding dining companions there might be a good start. Will check back here after my cruise and let others know how it went. :)

Just returned from my cruise on NCL Getaway in a studio cabin. Long story short, I did not need to book reservations ahead of time. There was plenty of opportunity to dine with other solo travelers on a day to day basis. So, I cancelled 3 of my 4 pre booked dinner reservations on the second day.

Really enjoyed The Tropicana Room with 9 other solo travelers the first night. O'Sheehan's was a great place for dinner and cocktails, and soo much quicker than all the other sit down full service restaurants. The food at Savor and Taste was good but not great and the service was very slow.

I must say after this cruise I actually prefer assigned dining time. Returning to the same table most nights for dinner with the same people is more enjoyable than NCL free style dining for me. The cruise overall was very fun but I prefer Carnival and RCCL all things considered.

My last five cruises have been as a solo. Like you, I prefer to have pleasant companions with whom to share meals (since I often eat out alone at home). After reading this entire thread, I agree with several others who say you should try other cruise lines. My last two cruises have been on RCCL, and there the hostesses were well-trained to ask if you want to share. I quickly learned to say "One, and I want to share." The "share" tables were usually for 8 or 10 people.

My last five cruises have been as a solo. Like you, I prefer to have pleasant companions with whom to share meals (since I often eat out alone at home). After reading this entire thread, I agree with several others who say you should try other cruise lines. My last two cruises have been on RCCL, and there the hostesses were well-trained to ask if you want to share. I quickly learned to say "One, and I want to share." The "share" tables were usually for 8 or 10 people.

Just to clarify a point, I HAVE been on the other cruise lines--I'm Diamond on RCCL, Elite on Celebrity and Princess, 3 Star Mariner on Holland America, not to mention the other cruise lines I've been on--and I've been happy with the dining situation there. I thought I'd try NCL again and, like you, walked up and said almost exactly that line: "One to share, please." It never occurred to me, after more than 600 solo days at sea on the various lines, that NCL was the exception to all my past experience. I was unbelieving the first couple of days, but now I accept it and consider myself educated.

I just returned from my first NCL cruise in a long time. On other lines, I always chose fixed seating but this was not an option on the NCL Jewel, so I was kinda looking forward to anytime dining and meeting new people. I've enjoyed open dining during breakfast and lunch on other cruise lines, so I was kinda looking forward to different tables each night. I've heard that the advantage is that you meet new people each night; the disadvantage is you rarely see them again and the conversation is entry level (Where are you from? What other cruises have you been on?) each night--kind of a Groundhog Day type of dinner every evening.

Well, each meal until I gave up, I went to check in and asked for a table to share, and they do not do this, it seems. They were willing to seat me and see if they could round up some other people, but they preferred just seating people alone, in ones and twos and groups that came in together.

I ate every meal, except one, alone with my book.

I'm pretty independent and like to be left alone most of the time, but I do enjoy conversation and new people at dinner. I'm not looking for a singles table, just joining others in camaraderie for a meal.

Is this the way it is on all NCL ships? Can anyone share their experience? I don't want to go on another NCL ship if this is a fleet-wide policy.

It has been a few years since I last sailed with NCL, however, it was my experience as a solo cruiser they did not seem interested it attempting to seat me with others at dinner and have not bothered to book with them again. Can't speak for the fleet but I gather this may be the norm though some Matre'd's may do it differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a great time. They started the week with a Solo Cruisers Gathering that was posted in in the Freestyle Daily. The crew member that was assigned to us(there were 8 of us at the meeting), Favio, was able to reserve dining for us in the main dining rooms. At least 2-4 of us got together almost every night for dinner. It worked out really well.

I think it has a lot to do with the maitre'd

Although it would be a little more difficult on a larger ship,when I cruised solo on Crystal,he took me aside on the first day and asked my preferences.when I arrived for dinner,he would say if there was a group he thought I'd enjoy or recommend a solo table.

On the Epic,they still remembered me at the front and often had saved me the nice window seat I had asked about on the first night...