Airport/Hotels

jkzs

I have never cruised out of Galveston before can someone tell me what is the best airport to fly into and give me some good hotels to stay in. We will be cruising in April. Any help would be great. Thanks

I have never cruised out of Galveston before can someone tell me what is the best airport to fly into and give me some good hotels to stay in. We will be cruising in April. Any help would be great. Thanks

The closest airport to the port is Houston Hobby (HOU). Most flights at that airport would be on Southwest. The other airport is Bush Intercontinental (IAH) which is twice as far from the port, but has a larger variety of flights. If you can use Southwest, I strongly suggest flying to Hobby.

The closest airport to the port is Houston Hobby (HOU). Most flights at that airport would be on Southwest. The other airport is Bush Intercontinental (IAH) which is twice as far from the port, but has a larger variety of flights. If you can use Southwest, I strongly suggest flying to Hobby.

I think I have a whole lot of research to do. I would be able to fly Southwest so that is a pro. I have only cruised out of Miami and basically just grabbed a cab. Do you know about the hotels. Is staying on the beach ideal or is there another area I should check out. Thanks for the response any help is great.

I think I have a whole lot of research to do. I would be able to fly Southwest so that is a pro. I have only cruised out of Miami and basically just grabbed a cab. Do you know about the hotels. Is staying on the beach ideal or is there another area I should check out. Thanks for the response any help is great.

The airport (HOU) is about 45 minutes from the port, and the last time I checked, a taxi was around $100. There are less expensive options, one of which is Super Shuttle which we used last year. I'm sure others will be able to offer suggestions.

With regard to hotels, I did not like the airport area much, so we stayed in Clear Lake, which is closer to the port, but still a good distance away, so a shuttle was necessary. Another option is to shuttle to a hotel on Galveston Island and then taxi to the port in the morning.

As said Hobby is much closer so you will save time and money, we fly into Hobby and normally stay at Doubletree by Hobby for the night then take a town car into port the next day, we use execucar and it cost a little over 100 but a very pleasant ride. Hotel is also approx. 120 a night, Galveston hotels are so overpriced ( they were half the price 2 years ago)

I usually sail out of Florida and was shocked to see the hotel prices for Galveston for September 9. We are planning on flying in on the 9th and staying in Galveston but if the prices don't come down we will have to change the plan. Also they want $200 RT from Dallas to Hobby which is what I paid to fly to FLL. We live in Dallas so we can drive but I hate sitting in the car for 5 hours. Hopefully the prices will come down the closer we get to September.