Spain & France

jpcello

I just booked RCI Navigator of the Seas for August 2016 to Vigo and Gijon Spain, and Paris (LeHavre) France (sailing to/from Southampton). My sister uses a mobility scooter but can easily walk short distances, a few stairs, etc. All of the ports are docked (no tenders) so that makes me feel better.

We've only done the Caribbean (east and west), and Bermuda, so this is our first European cruise.

Can anyone share their experiences with any of these ports? Need to start researching but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks

Hi,

I have sailed many times from Southampton and I also use a mobility scooter. Southampton is OK to get around in a scooter, there is a small shopping mall near the cruise terminals which is accessible.

I have been to Vigo a few times and it is very hilly. My advice is take an adapted taxi from the dock to the top of the town with your sisters scooter then work your way down back to the ship. You might have to wait a few minutes for the taxi.

I am going to Gijon in April so can't comment about there.

Le Havre is quite some distance from Paris it will take you a few hours to get there. I have only passed through there (Le Havre) and it is a long time since I was in Paris.

Hope this helps

Pete

I was in Paris in 2014 on an independent land tour prior to a cruise from Barcelona. We were in Paris for two nights. We easily traveled from London to Paris on the Eurostar train. That was the last easy thing we did in Paris. I found Paris to be the most difficult European city I have been to (and I have been to Venice and St. Petersburg). London was very accessible as was Barcelona. I have not been to Vigo or Gijon. Paris had curb cuts at some corners but not all. I did not see a single accessible taxi and when I asked for one at a hotel the desk clerk did not speak English. All in all, Paris was a challenge and I can still take a few steps although I relay heavily on my scooter.

We were in Le Havre last summer on Celebrity Infinity and found it a pleasant surprise. There was a shuttle to the downtown and a very nice walk around. The bus stored my mobility device underneath where luggage would go. Is her's foldable at all? If so, it would fit easily.

There are good curb cuts and the square has no cars, so it is very pleasant. Google maps would give you a good idea I think.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Fortunately my sister owns a Luggie, so as far as taxis, etc., we don't need an adapted vehicle - any taxi will do.

I'm the trip planner (my sister simply shows up with her passport and luggage) so I know I've got lots of work to do. We'll also probably spend a few days in London before the cruise starts - need to figure out flights, hotels, etc.

Just to add a bit more info to the above comments:

Vigo is very flat around the harbour area, well paved and there's a reasonable walk to be had if the weather is fine. It's got an air of a place that got some European money, splurged it on fancy paving then let it all go a bit sad. There's a shopping centre by the ship that was fine a few years ago but now is a bit downbeat and not really worth getting excited about. If you're planning to buy some good Spanish wine plan carefully - the shops close over lunch, or at least the wine shops we found did and I went home empty handed.

It's a bit of a climb into the main part of town but I made it in a wheelchair without much problem so a scooter should be okay providing it's not too weedy. However, as you come off the ship if you head to the right and along the scraggy part of the waterfront, you can eventually turn left and the climb into town isn't so steep. First time there we took a bus tour (wheelchair in the luggage compartment underneath) and IIRC, it was interesting and good value.

Le Havre, I suppose, is a matter of taste. It wasn't for me. The shuttle bus into town is free but once there, the entire place is a shrine to whatever it's possible to build in square concrete. The locals seem quite proud of it. Even the lid of the underground car park is a massive concrete structure that's supposed to look like a ship's anchor but just looks like, well, a lump of concrete.

You might find it more appealing if you are from across the pond. There are several war memorials in town but on close inspection the whole of Europe was liberated by the French and the Americans, we Brits must have stayed at home. I wonder if my Grandad would have thought with hindsight that it is was worth getting shot for.

We took the little noddy train tour around town (wheelchair went in the back) and got the commentary about how wonderful the concrete architecture is. Half way around he pulled up, got out and toddled off to speak to a mate in a local shop so we sat there for 15 mins waiting. Very French. To put the tin hat on it almost all the shops followed the standard French lunch time, which means they closed about 12pm, were due to open about 2pm and some just about managed to wander back and open the door. We were back on ship before some of them turned up.

But there's plenty to see if you can find a way to do the Normandy beaches by scooter or else Honfleur is supposed to be a pretty spot to visit and not too expensive by taxi. good restaurants and wine shops apparently. Paris is a bit of a long haul if you are only there for the day, but some cruises have an overnight stay (yippee! 2 days in Le Havre), so the overnight trip to Paris might work out okay with plenty of time to actually see something before you turn around and come back to the ship..

p.s. The Le Havre shuttle bus was roll-on roll-off with a ramp so no need to store the wheelchair/scooter.

Edited by Chunky2219

In Vigo if u go into the shopping mall take the lift to 2nd floor turn left and there is a walk way across the road below this takes alot of the walking out of the trip ,keep going up a sloped area to a small church and u will find cafes ,small shops and a square ,carry on again and u find the main road turn left and follow road into main shopping area which has a slope but is reasonally accessable. Hope this helps.

Prey for sunshine

Hi, I use a mobility scooter and have been to Vigo. No need for a taxi get up the very steep hill in to the town, just go into the shopping centre as you get off the ship and take the lift to the next to the top floor and you are now at the top of the hill!!! It's very easy to get around.

In Le Havre I think I would hire a car and go to Honfleur and the DDay museums. Loads of info on here if you do a search. All t he museums are very accessible and you will also get 'carer goes free' entrance.

In Vigo there is a HOHO bus which departs from very near to where the ships dock and can take a wheelchair .

Gijon has a nice, long, flat promenade and a lot of the town is flat. Generally, France and Spain are quite accessible.

Thanks everyone. This information is great and I really appreciate everyone's feedback, but we will probably not do this cruise. The more I researched and talk with my sister, the itinerary isn't what we're looking for right now.

So now I'm looking for a Baltic cruise that meets our needs. There's one on Princess so stay tuned...