Gluten Free Child

LovetheCubs

We will be taking our 4 year old on the dream in September. She has a gluten allergy. It won't kill her but makes her VERY VERY uncomfortable and I know that it would ruin the trip for everyone if she ate something she was suppose to!

Does anyone have experience with food allergies on the ship. I know Disney World is very accommodating but was worried about being on board. Anyone that can put my mind at ease that it won't be a pain? Or should I prepare myself??

We will be taking our 4 year old on the dream in September. She has a gluten allergy. It won't kill her but makes her VERY VERY uncomfortable and I know that it would ruin the trip for everyone if she ate something she was suppose to!

Does anyone have experience with food allergies on the ship. I know Disney World is very accommodating but was worried about being on board. Anyone that can put my mind at ease that it won't be a pain? Or should I prepare myself??

My DGD has a gluten allergy, so I understand the issue well!

We just returned from the Magic. Every menu was clearly marked with both gluten- and dairy-free items; most had several choices. Also, we met a couple that were vegans with extensive allergies, and they absolutely raved about the dietary accommodations they received. We saw it first hand at Palo, but they said the accommodations had been wonderful throughout the ship.

We have been to the Disney parks with DGD; I would say the cruise line will be as accommodating if not more so. Please note that as with the parks, the food is prepared in the same kitchens as other foods, so there is always the possibility of minor cross-contamination if that is an issue for your DD.

Be sure to fill out the Special Needs form (available on the Disney cruise site) as soon as you are able to submit it (I think they request a minimum of 60 days). List the gluten allergy as well as any other allergies or needs she may have, as this will allow them to better prepare in advance (ordering, etc). As with the parks, you can request to speak with the chefs at any time. Also let your server know, and he or she will be sure to do whatever possible to provide your daughter with meals that meet her needs.

I believe Disney will take good care of you and your DD, and you will be able to relax and enjoy!

USUALLY, your head server will have this already noted in his computer (from the special needs form). He will meet with you at the first dinner to be sure that he understands your needs completely. If you eat at a buffet, especially the first lunch, tell the CM at the podium about the allergy--they will get a head server or chef to walk thru the line with you and advise you as to safety. If necessary, they will give you the menu for the next day so you can make her selections in advance; they will then be prepared to meet her needs. They can alter almost any item.

There are gluten free choices at every venue,but it is easier to control at the regular dining rooms. At the fast food outlets, let them know and they will cook it special for her.

OK, my personal opinion, but I would not let her eat in the OC. First, the food isn't that good. Secondly, you wouldn't be there to supervise. I know DCL makes an effort, but this would be the "weak link" in the system.

On Castaway day, they will arrange to send her food from the ship. They will ask in advance about what time you'll want lunch in order to be sure it is ready for her.