Uniworld Shore Excursions Question

lcand1923

I'm looking at the Uniworld Cruise Companion for my river cruise in June. I can't find any explanation for the differences between the "Featured Excursion" , the "Choice Is Yours Excursion" and the "Optional Excursion" that are offered in various ports. :confused:

I do see that the Optional Excursions have an additional fee, but can't figure out if you can do all three, two or just one excursion.

Since this will probably be my one and only trip to this area of Europe (Rhine and Moselle Rivers), I want to see and do as much as possible.

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Uniworld Cruise Companion for my river cruise in June. I can't find any explanation for the differences between the "Featured Excursion" , the "Choice Is Yours Excursion" and the "Optional Excursion" that are offered in various ports. :confused:

I do see that the Optional Excursions have an additional fee, but can't figure out if you can do all three, two or just one excursion.

Since this will probably be my one and only trip to this area of Europe (Rhine and Moselle Rivers), I want to see and do as much as possible.

Thanks.

Generally speaking, the Featured and Choice is Yours excursions are choices you can make between the two and there are no extra charges for them. The Optional Excursions are done at an additional charge per person. The cruises we have taken have had the Featured & Choice are in the morning and the Optionals are done after lunch. You probably can't do all three, but we have never had problems doing the featured excursions AND the Optionals. Our thoughts are - go and do and see everything you can because you may not return to that area.

Cole

Cole is generally correct. Most of the optional tours are in the afternoon, and one is substituting the optional tour for either a regular tour or an afternoon left free to wander around on one's own.

However, some of the optional tours are all day tours, leaving early in the morning, often travelling a bit of a distance, and not returning until up into the afternoon. Then one must really look at what they want to see and the costs of doing so. ;)

Cole is generally correct. Most of the optional tours are in the afternoon, and one is substituting the optional tour for either a regular tour or an afternoon left free to wander around on one's own.

However, some of the optional tours are all day tours, leaving early in the morning, often travelling a bit of a distance, and not returning until up into the afternoon. Then one must really look at what they want to see and the costs of doing so. ;)

You are right! We have also been on all day excursions that were included in the itinerary and we departed in one port and then met the ship in another port down (or up) the river. Some people choose to just remain on the ship and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes you have so many choices - it is hard to choose!

Cole

The Uniworld cruise companions include a sort of clock icon that indicate if the excursion is in the am, pm or all day.

When on board, during the first evening port talk, usually just before dinner, the cruise director will distribute a flyer with all excursions for each day, answer any questions about them and let you know which ones you will need to sign up for at the reception desk.

(For anyone not already booked who wants more info. about Uniworld excursions, the cruise companions for all cruises are available online.)

Agree with the others. Most of the time the Choice and Featured (both included) excursions are a choice between one or the other because they take place at the same time. Often, the optional (paid) excursion takes place at a different time, so you can do one in the morning and then take the paid excursion later.

I scanned in my daily programs from the 2014 Castles on the Rhine trip. Here is a link to the location. Though your cruise will likely have different stops, reading those programs should give you an idea of how the tour times work in general.

I want to thank everyone for their answers.

I'm used to Ocean Cruises where the Shore Excursion descriptions include more information about Duration and Start times. I'm a Time Line sort of person :eek: and work hard to maximize my time when visiting new places.

I'm really going to have to do some research to be able to do that on this river cruise. All of your answers are going to help me do this. :)

Thanks again!