Mother/Daughters Sunshine Cruise to St. Martin, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk

blessedwith12

The dungeon was an interesting area. I pictured individual cells but it was actually more like a tunnel with a barred gated at one end. On the walls of the tunnel were drawings - they believe from a captain who was waiting to be executed for mutiny. Some of the drawing are behind glass. This area is dimly lit and has the hopeless feel you think about with the word dungeon.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Loving the review... I'm debating between this and the Southern route for next February. My son and I were in San Juan last year and he just remembers "walking around the city". We did visit the fort and he wasn't that impressed lol, he was 5 so I guess he thought he would see actual soldiers and stuff. I thought it was pretty neat though! And for $5 it was a great deal!!

One of the things that seemed so different about touring this fort was the lack of warning signs. There weren't "Don't touch" or "Careful you may die if you jump off the walls" signs everywhere. I thought about how if this fort were in the US, the beauty of it would probably be diminished by all the fences and signs.

Anyways, on to the grounds.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I thought about how if this fort were in the US, the beauty of it would probably be diminished by all the fences and signs.

Technically you are in the US.

We'll be here in March and we're going to revisit a beach at a hotel we stayed at but this looks awesome!

It felt like we were at the fort a very long time because of how much walking we did and how we took our time. But, I think we were only there less than 2 hours. We walked back towards the port and looked through a couple of stores. At this point we were getting hot and tired and decided to go on back to the ship and get some lunch. After lunch, a few of us crashed and took a nap in our room - about the only time the entire cruise when we were in our room in the middle of the day.

Some random thoughts/info about San Juan.

The drivers seem more courteous than they are in some ports and even at home. Right around the port there are few stop lights - mostly stop signs or intersections that don't seem to be marked. And yet, it seemed like the drivers were very good about yielding for pedestrians.

Also, the main port building that you pass through when leaving the ship has a room for nursing mothers. Huge signs that pointed which direction to go. I'm instantly thinking - Puerto Rico must be family friendly!! I don't think I ever saw a sign like this back when I needed them!

Technically you are in the US.

We'll be here in March and we're going to revisit a beach at a hotel we stayed at but this looks awesome!

Yes, I do realize Puerto Rico is a US territory. Sorry for the tongue slip. Even the photos of the fort show the US flag flying over the Puerto Rico flag and the Spanish flag that flew during most of the forts years.

Some reviews seem to prefer El Morro over San Cristobal so if I'm ever back in San Juan, I'll have to check it out. It was a very different day than what we usually do at a port but we loved it!

Loving the review... I'm debating between this and the Southern route for next February. My son and I were in San Juan last year and he just remembers "walking around the city". We did visit the fort and he wasn't that impressed lol, he was 5 so I guess he thought he would see actual soldiers and stuff. I thought it was pretty neat though! And for $5 it was a great deal!!

Yes, I thought $5 was a great deal and I could also see how a 5 year old might not be too impressed!

Awesome, awesome review! I don't know how you raised 12 children... my wife and I are almost losing our mind with ONE!!! Lol :)

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it!

I always tell people the first 2 are the hardest. After that, it really does get easier. That is except for buying groceries and matching socks! :)

Great review!! How long did the walk to the fort take? My 77 year old mom will be with us and I thought about the trolley, but it sounds like it's unpredictable in it's availability. We are in San Juan from 8am to 4pm. I would like to see a fort and try some of the local food.

Thanks for your help!

Great review!! How long did the walk to the fort take? My 77 year old mom will be with us and I thought about the trolley, but it sounds like it's unpredictable in it's availability. We are in San Juan from 8am to 4pm. I would like to see a fort and try some of the local food.

Thanks for your help!

It probably takes about 10 minutes to get from the ship gangway to Trolley Stop #1. And then it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the fort's entrance. It may not be quite that long - I was on vacation mode and we didn't haven't any deadlines to meet so I didn't pay too much attention. Depending on your mother's abilities, it might be a little taxing on her to do the walk and then all the walking at the fort. I think the vendor who offered to take us on a tour of San Juan and also to the fort was only charging $10/person for the 5 of us. That might be an option - just find a vendor when you get off who would make you a deal.

Thank you so much for posting this review. I don't know how a mother of 12 finds the time! My hubby and I will be taking his sister and brother-in-law (1st time cruisers) on this same cruise in April so I'm really enjoying reading about what you did in each port.

Love the review and pics. You mentioned too many pics earlier on...there can NEVER be too many pictures!!

We are on a different itinerary in May but starting in San Juan and hitting St Maarten and St Kitts along the way. We have been to St Maarten before and are doing the same tour this time (Bernards) as I will have my teen/twenties kids with me and think they will love it.

Grand Turk is on my bucket list.

I am really enjoying your review and your pictures. As others have mentioned, there can never be too many pictures. :D

I was so glad to see that someone else liked Shipwreck Beach in St. Kitts. We were just there this past September and I LOVED it for the same reasons you mentioned and would not hesitate go go back. It's nice to relive that day through your review.

Thank you for sharing your experience of your cruise and I'm enjoying following along.

Thank you so much for posting this review. I don't know how a mother of 12 finds the time! My hubby and I will be taking his sister and brother-in-law (1st time cruisers) on this same cruise in April so I'm really enjoying reading about what you did in each port.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. At least I guess I have a decent excuse why it's taking me this long!

I think you'll love the itinerary. This cruise was either my favorite or next to favorite. Such a nice variety of things to do! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Love the review and pics. You mentioned too many pics earlier on...there can NEVER be too many pictures!!

We are on a different itinerary in May but starting in San Juan and hitting St Maarten and St Kitts along the way. We have been to St Maarten before and are doing the same tour this time (Bernards) as I will have my teen/twenties kids with me and think they will love it.

Grand Turk is on my bucket list.

Thank you!

Is your cruise going to St. Lucia? If so, check out Spencer Ambrose's Jalousie Beach Break. That is what I was going to do there if we had done our original cruise.

I am really enjoying your review and your pictures. As others have mentioned, there can never be too many pictures. :D

I was so glad to see that someone else liked Shipwreck Beach in St. Kitts. We were just there this past September and I LOVED it for the same reasons you mentioned and would not hesitate go go back. It's nice to relive that day through your review.

Thank you for sharing your experience of your cruise and I'm enjoying following along.

Ahhh, another Shipwreck Fan!! On our taxi ride over, I was trying to explain Shipwreck to the other family. Knowing people either love it or hate it, I tried to give an accurate description. At the end of the day, the family stopped by to tell us how much they had enjoyed it. For us, it was such a nice quiet relaxing day after our busy day in St. Martin. I hope the beach doesn't erode any more for them. I love their location!