South America and Verizon

chloes nana

Good afternoon all! I will be leaving for South America on March 15th, a couple days early. I am so very confused about this cell phone thing. We have a very elderly mother in a nursing home here that could go anytime. I need to be able to get text messages and possibly phone messages from the home she is in should anything happen or change. So! I have an iPhone 5s and service through Verizon. What do I really need for this and I am really confused with the airplane mode, roaming, and wifi stuff. Also my iPad Air is linked to my phone. Please help this old lady figure all this out. Thanks so much in advance. CC members are always so much help. :):):):)

The main thing is check what Verizon charges for using your plan in SA and on the cruise ship. They probably will be able to help.

Regarding the phone . The easiest is to turn off the power when not in use.

If you need help to deal with airplane mode. Just go and visit a Verizon dealer locally. Most can help you with any questions on a face to face basis.