Booked p and o

After being with Thomson into double figures,we are trying p and o in November on the Ventura, we have had a problem with Thomson on the last cruise we did, they have chosen to ignore our communication with them, well they have driven us away with poor after service, we can't go into details for legal reasons, but the bottom line is they couldn't care less!:mad:

We've done 12 plus cruises with Thomson but have been on the Ventura and loved it, going on the Azura next. I find Thomson cruises don't seem any cheaper than P and O. Sorry you had a bad experience we've never had a problem on a cruise ( not one that's spoilt our cruise)

Same here, we have not been on Thomson in 18 months now.

P&O have been getting our custom, mainly because cruising from Southampton suits us better as we have a wheelchair user to consider now.

Thomson are expensive now, we have 3 weeks on Oriana for less than 2 on Discovery or Dream, and OBC as well which will cover the tips.

As much as we love the Thomson product it will be P&O for the foreseeable future for us. They have a loyalty scheme which is transparent and not dependent on luck.

Boatboy, don't worry about the extra sea days, P&O have plenty going on, we actually look forward to them now.

You've had no written response of any kind from Thomsons ?

How did you guess, they had written recorded delivery letters and emails, but in the long run they will lose out, as like us we will not put up with it and will try something else :)

How long ago is it that you wrote to Thomsons ?

I've had a couple of issues with them in the past and they've taken several weeks to reply.

I suspect that's because they direct the complaints to the appropriate individual(s) for an internal investigation and subsequent response before getting back to the customer.

There is no reason of course why they can't acknowledge receipt of your letter and advising that it is being dealt with.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

How long ago is it that you wrote to Thomsons ?

I've had a couple of issues with them in the past and they've taken several weeks to reply.

I suspect that's because they direct the complaints to the appropriate individual(s) for an internal investigation and subsequent response before getting back to the customer.

There is no reason of course why they can't acknowledge receipt of your letter and advising that it is being dealt with.

Thanks for your comments, it has been several weeks and all we have had is an automated email, which is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

After many happy cruises with Thomson we've booked P&O for our next cruise. Thomson cruises seem to be getting more and more expensive and the shift of newer itineraries to the Middle East isn't for us. At this time of year the only options Thomson have are the Canaries that we've done several times or over-priced (IMHO) Caribbean trips.

We'll consider them again next year as the crews on their ships have always been so friendly and welcoming but the overall package isn't quite as attractive nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

We too have deserted Thomson for 2 years now due to the poor food we had on Celebration. We have been sailing with Celebrity and Cunard, who we used to more or less alternate with Thomson, and have one booked with them next month and our first with P&O in July. Really, really miss the fabulous times that we had on our many Thomson cruises. Miss the staff and entertainment but hesitate to risk it again. Also, when we have looked at Thomson's other ships, we have found them very expensive. Thomson - well done, you have chased us away! So sad, I was a Thompson Champion!

Just to reply to Joeholiday, obviously Southampton suits you, but in our case Southampton was the problem - getting there was a nightmare - traffic initially and to follow came the Bay of Biscay, even in August 110mph gale, ship all over the place and the fact that you have four days there and back in weather like UK - give us a fly cruise everytime. We have used used Thomson many times and they cannot be beaten for itinerary - with a fly cruise you get more ports to visit. I agree that P&O ships are much grander that Thomson, but that apart not much too choose between them. The only time I would sail from Southampton was if we wanted the Baltic or Norway etc.

But its everyone to their own choice.

We too have deserted Thomson for 2 years now due to the poor food we had on Celebration. We have been sailing with Celebrity and Cunard, who we used to more or less alternate with Thomson, and have one booked with them next month and our first with P&O in July. Really, really miss the fabulous times that we had on our many Thomson cruises. Miss the staff and entertainment but hesitate to risk it again. Also, when we have looked at Thomson's other ships, we have found them very expensive. Thomson - well done, you have chased us away! So sad, I was a Thomson Champion!

And me! I could have written this - but our disappointment was the food on Dream. And it was poor - after over two dozen cruises with Thomson with no issues before I think we were in a position to make valid judgements and it had taken a nose dive. We have been reluctant to go back but have just booked a quick last minute getaway. Good price, local departure so worth a punt. We are very interested to see what we make of it but I must say we are very much looking forward to a return to the warmth, ambience and entertainment we remember with such fondness. Fingers crossed we will find the food much better than the last time.

We also go for fly/cruises with Thomson due to a round trip of over 1,000+ miles to Southampton.

Went from Manchester 2 years ago by train. Due to late flight back no overnight trains meant we had two overnight stays (one each way). We managed to travel down by train but because of works on the line for the new Metro system we had to return by bus.:eek:

We are flying from Birmingham in a few weeks time. There are no flights to Manchester so we are travelling by train to Edinburgh then changing for Birmingham. Again we have two overnight stays and the return journey at the moment is to be by train/bus/train as the line is closed because of damage caused by floods earlier this year.:eek:

I wish Thomson would realise their customers come from all over the UK. It fairly adds to the cost of a holiday having to travel all over the country.

Hey ho. Roll on our following cruise later in the year. That's from Glasgow - only 90 miles away.:)

Seems like an opportunity missed. If there are lots of potential customers as there appears to be from the many posts on here (plus many many more who aren't on the forum) you'd think they'd try to corner the market with more not less flights from Scotland!

Edited by kruzseeka

And me! I could have written this - but our disappointment was the food on Dream. And it was poor - after over two dozen cruises with Thomson with no issues before I think we were in a position to make valid judgements and it had taken a nose dive. We have been reluctant to go back but have just booked a quick last minute getaway. Good price, local departure so worth a punt. We are very interested to see what we make of it but I must say we are very much looking forward to a return to the warmth, ambience and entertainment we remember with such fondness. Fingers crossed we will find the food much better than the last time.

Hello Kruzseeka

Pleased to hear you have booked again with Thomson - will look forward to hearing your report when you return! You really must try a FO cruise if you miss the warmth, ambience & entertainment of Thomson; Fred really are so similar!!!

I rarely post here anymore as I have to log in every time which is such a bind as I forget the password lol but I do pop in & read lots!

Have a great cruise - wherever you are heading xx

Hello Kruzseeka

Pleased to hear you have booked again with Thomson - will look forward to hearing your report when you return! You really must try a FO cruise if you miss the warmth, ambience & entertainment of Thomson; Fred really are so similar!!!

I rarely post here anymore as I have to log in every time which is such a bind as I forget the password lol but I do pop in & read lots!

Thanks Jules, off at the end of the month to the Canaries. I'll report back! ;) Yes, haven't tried FO yet but do look as they have some interesting itineraries and I remember how much you said the atmosphere on board and entertainment was similar to Thomson. Definitely a possibility. Hope you are enjoying your hols too! :)

I'm pleased you're giving T another go Kruzseeka, because I know you were a great fan. I hope it's up to standard for you.

We haven't been back since our TA. Not because of the food, it wasn't great but not dire. More the lack of itineraries that inspire us. Also we would have gone to the caribbean but there were no flights from Newcastle and I wasn't bothered enough to travel to Manchester.

I do think we will be back next year though if the North Cape is available from Newcastle.

Anyway I hope you both have a fantastic cruise.:)

I'm pleased you're giving T another go Kruzseeka, because I know you were a great fan. I hope it's up to standard for you.

We haven't been back since our TA. Not because of the food, it wasn't great but not dire. More the lack of itineraries that inspire us. Also we would have gone to the caribbean but there were no flights from Newcastle and I wasn't bothered enough to travel to Manchester.

I do think we will be back next year though if the North Cape is available from Newcastle.

Thanks happy v - I'll let you know.

I'd recommend the North Cape - fabulous scenery. We never tire of it. Newcastle will be really convenient for you too. Hope you make it. :)

Hello Kruzseeka

Julie, have you tried using the app? You don't have to log in with it.

Let's hope they sort out their 'cruise only' / no fly cruise bookings on their website if they are going to sell Ex-UK cruises ........?

I used to have to log in every time I wanted to read posts, and someone said to use boards.cruisecritic.com instead of boards.cruisecritic.co.uk and that works for me.