I need help finding an old thread Haines tour -- native village?

CowPrincess

And I mean an OLD thread, maybe from 2010?? Someone posted about their day in Haines, they arranged a van tour (I think) that was quite long with a private operator, and they saw a native village (I think) and dancers and ????

I've had no success using Search with any terms that I can think of. I have found some threads but NOT the one I am looking for.

Does anyone remember anything like this? And IIRC the poster was not a regular poster on the Alaska board.

Sigh....

Any help would be appreciated!

The native village would be the village of Klukwan. You might try contacting them: http://chilkat-nsn.gov/node/122

And there's this from Lonely Planet: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/alaska/haines/activities/local-culture/jilkaat-kwaan-cultural-tours

Thank you for that quick reply :) So Klukwan is the village? The one, the only? No others around that could have been the subject of the thread?

I will try searching on Klukwan, too :) I may be back with other questions about this, if I can't find the thread that piqued my interest ....

When I was looking at Princess excursions yesterday I came across one for Annette Island

Cultural Treasures of Annette Island

KTN-645| Ketchikan, Alaska

hours

from $189.95

You will see:

Get a rare glimpse into the art and traditions of the Tsimshian people with a cruise to Annette Island, Alaska's only Native reserve. Marvel at the colorful dress of the ceremonial dancers, watch hands-on workshops, stroll the village at your leisure and browse the shops in the Artist's Village.

Edited by Alaskanb

Thank you for that quick reply :) So Klukwan is the village? The one, the only? No others around that could have been the subject of the thread?

Klukwan is the Tlingit village just up the highway from Haines. It would be the only one that is easily accessible from Haines. The next nearest village would be Hoonah.

Klukwan is the Tlingit village just up the highway from Haines. It would be the only one that is easily accessible from Haines. The next nearest village would be Hoonah.

Thanks again! I think I found the thread, using Klukwan in the Search terms. Most appreciated :) Sounds like I can find the tour van when I get there, and still have time for a stroll around town and Eggs Benedict at the Bamboo Room :D

When I was looking at Princess excursions yesterday I came across one for Annette Island

Cultural Treasures of Annette Island

KTN-645| Ketchikan, Alaska

hours

from $189.95

You will see:

Get a rare glimpse into the art and traditions of the Tsimshian people with a cruise to Annette Island, Alaska's only Native reserve. Marvel at the colorful dress of the ceremonial dancers, watch hands-on workshops, stroll the village at your leisure and browse the shops in the Artist's Village.

Thanks, I appreciate that info. I've probably already got plans for Ketchikan.