"Fish Fry" on Nassau

CrzyCallie

Hey all... someone on another board told me about a restaurant/bar called Fish Fry in Nassau.... does anyone know where this is or anything about it?? Thanks! :)

The "Fish Fry" is a small group of local restaurants located at Arawak Cay, just outside of town (walkable if you're in the mood)

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/ArawakCay.html

These are all owned by locals, and have the freshest and tastiest native food in town. Weekends there's usually something going on in the square or bands playing in some of the bars.

Twin Brothers, Seafood Haven and Sammy T's are some favorites, as well as Goldies and Deep Creek for music.

Here's a sample menu from one of the restaruants

http://www.bahamasgo.com/twinbrothers.htm

To get to the Fish Fry, you can walk just west of town, past the British Colonial Hilton and along the beach esplanade to Arawak Cay, or grab a cab from the port for about $4 pp. The #10 bus will drop you off for $1. You can catch it in front of the hilton (actually across the street at McDonald's). It's just up the street along bay street.

wow.. I knew you would come thru quick... any idea whether or not it is feasible to walk from the Fish Fry to Senor Frogs then back to the ship? There will be at least 4 of us... maybe more.. and how far they all are from each other? :)

wow.. I knew you would come thru quick... any idea whether or not it is feasible to walk from the Fish Fry to Senor Frogs then back to the ship? There will be at least 4 of us... maybe more.. and how far they all are from each other? :)
\

Senor Frogs is midway between the ship and the Fish Fry.

Senor Frogs, located on the east side of the British Colonial Hilton, is about 5 short blocks from the port along the wharf, Fish Fry is about 5 blocks past the British Colonial on the west side of the building

Here's a map http://www.bahamasgp.com/islp-map-nasscomm-w.html#

#9 is the cruise dock

#8 is Senor Frog/Straw Market (british Colonia Hilton)

#5 is the Fish Fry

scubagirrl that's a great map. Thanks for posting it. I notice to the east near the Paradise Island bridge there are a bunch of shopping areas (12, 22, 23, 31). We've never walked out that way before. Is that a nice area to walk to?

Went down there for the first time last year. The cracked conch was delicious along with an ice cold Klick beer. I do not know which restaurant/shack we went to but will definitly do it again when we go there this month. We took a taxi, very friendly fellow, bought him lunch and he taught how to play dominos. Scubagirl, when in October is the Seafood and Heritage Festival? We will be in Nassau 10/29/05. Thanks, Laura

scubagirrl that's a great map. Thanks for posting it. I notice to the east near the Paradise Island bridge there are a bunch of shopping areas (12, 22, 23, 31). We've never walked out that way before. Is that a nice area to walk to?

Under the bridge is Potters Cay terminal. It's were all the work boats, fishing rigs and mailboats come it. There are Fish Shacks selling fresh fish and veggies as well as prepared fish platters, conch salad and fritters along with an ice cold Kalik. The locals hang out here after work and play domino, catch up on gossip or just hang out. It's VERY rustic. NO amenities. Just a couple of makeshift tables and benches, amounst the plywood fish shacks and stall. Great fresh food and local color.

As for the other areas, those are of no interest to anyone cept those who live in those communities, they are small strip malls with a couple of local shops, cleaners, ligour stores, deli etc. #12 has a dominos pizza, but that's about it.

If you are driving east past the bridges... you'll find Montegue Beach (small local beach) and Fort Montegue, then heading out, you 'll find some nice upscale homes along the carriageway. Too far to stroll.

Thanks so much for the map!! Is it a safe walk to and from the ship to Fish Fry and/or Senor Frogs? Like I said earlier.. there will be at least 4 of us! Thanks!!!

Daytime and early evening it's perfectly safe. Senor Frogs is VERY close to the ship and the area is busy into the late nite. After dinnertime, I'd get a cab to and from the Fish Fry. The esplanade is not well lit, and may not be a great place to take a stroll at nite. Cab shouldn't be more that $3 or 4pp. I'd suggest you walk down to the Fish Fry early evening, then cab back to Senor Frogs.. you can walk back to the ship from Senor Frogs.

Went down there for the first time last year. The cracked conch was delicious along with an ice cold Klick beer. I do not know which restaurant/shack we went to but will definitly do it again when we go there this month. We took a taxi' date=' very friendly fellow, bought him lunch and he taught how to play dominos. Scubagirl, when in October is the Seafood and Heritage Festival? We will be in Nassau 10/29/05. Thanks, Laura[/quote']

Hey, I will be on the boat also. Maybe we can chat...

• 1 month later...

Fish Fry is great, and is a short bus ride on #10. I would suggest taking the bus instead of walking because the traffic gets a little busy out by where Fish Fry is.

We ate there after asking several locals where a good place to eat conch would be. All of them (police included) suggested Fish Fry. The policewoman even said she'd go with us if she wasn't on duty.

Conch is wonderful, and so is the grouper.

Archived