Packing your dress

Hi:

Are you flying or driving to your port?

If you're driving, you can carry your dress on the ship. Inform the bridal store that you'll be taking your dress on the ship and will be carrying it. If you have a long train they'll hang it a certain way so the train/gown will wrinkle.

I had my 10 year vow renewal on Voyager in July and carried my gown on the ship. It was a riot on how I was carrying it but the gown made it and had no problems. I was able to wear my wedding gown ten years later and no way was I letting anyone near that dress! LOL

Good luck and have a beautiful wedding!

36_3_27.gif

I had my dress dry cleaned before I left and carried it onto the ship - we flew into LA from Dallas, spending 5 days in disneyland before we got onto the ship.

By the time we got onto the ship I needed to get my dress steamed to get the wrinkles out.

Since there is no obvious price for steaming wedding dresses I asked my cabin steward how much. She suggested I call housekeeping/laundry and ask.

I called housekeeping/laundry and, after having someone tell me to speak with my cabin steward, I told them it was my cabin steward who told me to call them. At that point they said $4 - same price as a regular dress.

So, I got my dress and 2 veils steamed out for $4.

(RCCL Vision of the Seas 10.04.05 wedding)

We are flying to Singapore to board the ship and I will be hand-carrying my dress the whole time.

Actually we called the airline and arranged for the dress to be hung "near me" so that I will not have any anxiety about letting it out of my sight. :rolleyes:

I will pay $35 to have it pressed on the ship when we get there but it is worth it to me.

My sister also hand-carried her dress over to Italy to get married. The dress wound up in first class (it was the only place they had room on the plane) while her and her husband flew in business class!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Most airlines are happy to accomidate you and seem pleased to see someone get married!! My sister got free champagne and chocolates and everyone wanted to see her dress. :)

Hope this helps!

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!

SAS80:

I went to the gym alot and was on Atkin's for a few months to make sure I was at the same weight when I got married. I gained a few pounds due to thyroid issues but managed to keep it off. It was a lot of work and dedication.

The memories of my wedding and my father walking me down the aisle/dancing with was extremely special. My dad passed away ten months ago so this was something that meant more than just being able to wear it ten years later. I was honored and proud that I could do it.

Of course now my husband expects me to wear it again on our 25th anniversary. LOL

Take care!

Pabride2007- I would call the airline ahead of time and let them know. That way you will have peace of mind and they will be alerted to the fact that you will be bringing it with you. Also, if there are any "issues" that arise, you can take care of them now rather than when you are standing with the dress in hand.

I'm excited for you!! Have a wonderful time and congratulations!!!;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also flew to Ft. Lauderdale the day before my wedding. The airline was not able to make any special arrangements for my dress. In fact, just the opposite. They were very clear that they wouldn't make any exceptions!!

First, the gown would be treated as my carry on and had to be able to fit the overhead compartment. They stressed that I would be allowed only a second small carry on (basically my purse or a briefcase). Since we were also carrying on the tux, shoes, rings, gifts for the wedding party and other valuables that we could not check, I was completely stressed out about the whole thing. But we managed.

We flew out on a Friday night and our flight was jam packed. When we arrived at the gate, I explained my situation and asked if I could pre-board so I could stow my gown some place safe. But they would not allow it because the flight was so full. When I was finally allowed to board, I asked the flight attendants at the door of the plane if they could find a place to hang my gown. I very nicely explained my situation and asked if they could help. They were very kind and allowed me to place it in the first class coat closet. Thank goodness they were able to help. There was just no way I was going to get the gown into the overhead. Not only was the flight fully booked, but it was winter and everyone had bulky coats in addition to their carry ons. The overhead space was overflowing. So no matter how stressed you are, just smile and ask verrrry nicely.

The good news is that there was no problem at all carrying it onto the ship. I just put it in the dress bag and carried it right to our cabin.

I also packed a hand steamer that I was able to use to touch up the gown once we got onboard the ship. The gown actually fared pretty well and didn't need much. But the steamer worked like a charm.

Archived