Why is liberty cheaper?

There are several Carnival ships (I threw up in my mouth a little bit as I said that) going out of Galveston:

Freedom, Magic, Triumph, Breeze and too confuse everyone they are bringing in Carnival Liberty in March. I have suggested that they rename that ship WalMart of the Seas in order to avoid confusion. :p

Before you make fun of them, just remember that there is nobody on these forums whom are "above" Carnival....

I am hoping you will be kind enough to provide a detailed trip review on the newly refurbished Liberty. I am sailing end of April, same itinerary with my teen. I would be interested to learn more about the new Galveston terminal ,water slides,entertainment, and tendering process in Belize (which i heard can be chaotic). I believe you have to line up somewhere to first obtain tendering ticket? Also, if you could load the cruise compass, that would be much appreciated! I am planning to take the RCCL Airport shuttle post cruise to IAH airport, if you plan on doing the same, would love to hear how the disembarkation etc process went.

Looking forward to this cruise!

Thanking you in advance.

Me too!!!! We were looking at this cruise in Summer 2017...as 2016 is not possible....I want to hear more!

Is Galveston really that bad? I understand it's far from the airport but do is Port Canaveral. Thinking of booking it and want to know what I'm missing

I have done almost every Gulf coast and FL ports, Galveston is not any better or worse.

It all depends on what you want.

While I live in Houston and Galveston is convenient, I think I have only sailed out of there about 6 times.

Generally because I like trying different ships and ports and the Galveston voyages are pretty much limited to the big 6, Coz, Belize, Roatan, Cayman, Costa Maya, Jamaica.

While these are good stops, I have been many many times.

So if you have never traveled out of Galveston, and it is a good price, I would really recommend it...

Edited by matj2000

Personally, I thought of all of the ports I've ever sailed out of.... That Galveston was kind of a crap hole. Just seemed very dirty and not interesting. Maybe my opinion will change when the new terminal is done. Trying it out in Oct. we shall see. IMO though, could be the reason for cheaper prices. Trying to get people to sail out of this ugly port lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Galveston is a working port so it won't be all prettied up. That said it's a fun place with some good restaurants and diversions like Moody Gardens etc.

If you book the Dec 4 sailing you can come in early for "Dickens on The Strand" then go cruising:D

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/events/dickens-on-the-strand/dickens-on-the-strand

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/ watch them sail......:)

http://www.galveston.com/

We are sailing on Liberty in a few weeks and it was actually one of the most expensive ships we looked at between Florida and Galveston. With spring break we were limited to just the one week, but we ended up paying about $150 more per person to do Galveston rather than leaving from Florida. Plane tickets for 4 just couldn't be found to FL to make up the difference in cost, since we live in Dallas, so Galveston it is. So I guess it just depends on the week! This will be our first time to leave from Galveston. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing on Liberty in a few weeks and it was actually one of the most expensive ships we looked at between Florida and Galveston. With spring break we were limited to just the one week, but we ended up paying about $150 more per person to do Galveston rather than leaving from Florida. Plane tickets for 4 just couldn't be found to FL to make up the difference in cost, since we live in Dallas, so Galveston it is. So I guess it just depends on the week! This will be our first time to leave from Galveston. Looking forward to it!

It is more expensive because most of TX Spring Break is that week.

It was all in fun.

I am sure that Carnival has improved since our 2003 cruise. Lord knows it couldn't be much worse. However I don't foresee returning unless someone else is paying for it.

I find it funny... I was also on the Jubilee out of Galveston in April 2003

It was my first Carnival cruise, after being on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I was very less than impressed with Jubilee and at that time Carnival.

I waited a long while before trying Carnival again, but I did because that is what my friends wanted to do (And I couldn't talk them into RCCL) and I went on the Conquest which at the time was out of Galveston. I had a great time on the Conquest and other Carnival Ships that I was on. I still prefer RCCL, but I would do a Carnival cruise again.

We have been sailing RCCL out of Galveston for over ten years....multiple cruises on Rhapsody, Mariner, Navigator and are booked in the fall on Liberty. Not paying for airfare enables us to upgrade to a suite. We are not itinerary driven and just love the cruise experience and the service.

We drive and it's a breeze. A lot of folks complain about Galveston but it is a working port and not just a cruise ship port. The terminal isn't pretty but I've never had to spend much time in it as boarding and disembarking have been great for the most part.

I love not having to negotiate an airport!

We have done Galveston because we have a son and his family that live in San Antonio. Next July, they are coming with us. We live near Baltimore and have sailed out of there and New Jersey. Some times we like to save airfare and other times we pay it.

Who said no Freestyle machines - they had them on our Jan 2013 sailing out of Florida can not imagine they took them off.

Are you sure you were not on Oasis or Allure or Freedom?

People on LOS for its first cruise out of dry dock last week have confirmed that there are no freestyle machines.

[quote name='Powersboyee2']Personally, I thought of all of the ports I've ever sailed out of.... That Galveston was kind of a crap hole. Just seemed very dirty and not interesting. Maybe my opinion will change when the new terminal is done. Trying it out in Oct. we shall see. IMO though, could be the reason for cheaper prices. Trying to get people to sail out of this ugly port lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Really? We were in Galveston last October and loved it. First time there in years and we enjoyed all the restaurants and bars both downtown and by the beach. The weather was gorgeous and the people friendly. Never thought of it as dirty. In fact, we looked at condos down there. Next time we go, we are planning to cruise on the Liberty and spend time in Galveston. Different strokes.....

IMO the downside to Galveston is that it's an hour away from Hobby, just like if you flew into Orlando to go to their ports. If you rent a car you have to pay for the car and parking, easily $250+. If you get a car service, you have to pay for the round trip, again $250+. If you use a shuttle service, you're saving money but you're not on your own schedule.

If your flights don't line up properly with the cruise ship, you may have to stay Saturday night and/or Sunday night, again another $200.

That being said, I really enjoyed Galveston. Plenty to do there and many things within walking distance if you have to kill time between the cruise arrival/departure. I hate to say it but the Italian food we got delivered to our hotel room on Sunday night was better than several meals we had on the cruise!

Sure, some of the interior homes and streets in Galveston look a bit ragged but I write that off as hurricane damage. There is also a Wal Mart in case you need to stock up before or after your cruise. The only downside is that Galveston is big and spread out so if you don't have a car you'll need to take a taxi.

Keep in mind that Galveston in the winter isn't as nice as Belize in the winter, so pack something other than shorts and T-shirts for when you get off the boat.