Shopping

oraelo

The wife has declared our day at St. Marteen our shopping day for our cruise. Not for big purchases but just your usual touristy vacation shops. Is there one main shopping area on the island? How far from the cruise port? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

When you take the water taxi to the center of the bay - the main drop off pier - you walk off the pier & into the main shopping area. The first street you come to is Front Street & shopping is in either direction. We try to start at one end and price things we are considering. Walking back we buy where the price was the best. Prices for the same thing (including liquor - best price in Caribbean IMO) can vary up to several dollars. Also, if you walk off the pier, past Front Street, & keep walking another block, you come to an open market. Again, in my opinion, I have found better prices in some stores. Finally, as you walk Front Street, go down some of the short paths between the stores, some say the prices are better - it depends what you are looking for at the time.

Have fun, we love St. Maarten!!

The wife has declared our day at St. Marteen our shopping day for our cruise. Not for big purchases but just your usual touristy vacation shops. Is there one main shopping area on the island? How far from the cruise port? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Philipsburg is very close, about 10 minutes by foot. And the main street is front street where you will find all the best Brands TAX FREE !! So you should find some bargains.

For my part, I would recommend to go DK Gems (69 on front street) because they have been voted best jewelry stores in st maarten by the DAILY HERALD. And also on Tripadvisor they have only Excellent reviews. And in their jewelry store they have a nice selection of jewelry.

For clothes you have Ralph Lauren that is nice too.

Good st maarten shopping !!

1495991360_BeststmaartenjewelrystoresDKGemsfrontstreetphilipsburgsxm(13).jpg.34d32ecf31017c96900702466b6b8b10.jpg

We were just there today.

There are plenty of stores for souvenirs but if you're looking for some nice things and not your typical experience try theses. For watches our friends found some wonderful ones at Little Switzerland by the pier. Those girls were nice and patient! Our best spot of the day was the jewelry store called Goldfinger on Front St. No pushy sales people, the nicest folks working and we spent a lot of time and money picking out some beautiful things!

Sadly we are now on our way home to the cold MN winter [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are looking for jewelry - we have used Royal Jewelers for over 20 years. They are privately owned & when dealing with the owner, I find the best deals only he has the authority to make. They will custom make anything & everything I have bought have appraised in the US for for much, much higher. I have also had a couple stones fall out of a bracelet several years after I bought it - they redid all the prongs holding the stones & replaced the stones - no charge. I bought a diamond bracelet a few years earlier & wanted to upgrade. He gave me more towards the new bracelet than I paid. Needless to say there are many jewelers on St. Maarten & you have to find one you like & trust - have fun.

By the way, if you go over your limit, nothing is duty free. You are allowed, if a US Citizen returning to the US, $800 per person. If you go over that, you should pay duty no matter what you bought.

Edited by pbrady