St. Barts

MICHE99

They're very receptive, as long as you bring lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!! Very French, very expensive! I've been to St. Bart's several times (on a tall ship), and we ate ashore for dinner (by choice). Excellent food, excellent service, and very high prices! Most of the hotels have an "independent" restaurant which will accomodate non-guests. We once ate at a restaurant in Gustavia, and ordered white wine. We were told that it would be $20.00, and thought we had gotten a great bargain for a bottle of white wine! NOT! It was $20.00 per person, per glass! Merde! Anyway, it was a wonderful meal! We bought baguettes, cheese, and a bottle of wine from a local shop (after they closed at noon and re-opened at 2:00 p.m.) and went to a local beach for a great picnic. Well, we had a rental jeep, and had to park about a million miles from the beach. We hoofed it for a couple of days to the water's edge to enjoy our picnic. If you fly into St. Bart's, you will experience heart failure! All of a sudden, you descend from a beautiful sky to the runway in about one minute! And yes..speaking English is not a problem. Now, Martinique...that's a whole different story!!

We will be in St. Barts on a Sunday. Are the stores closed? We don't want to take a ship's tour of the island. Will there be taxis willing to do an island tour? Thanks for any information.

Joan

You know, they just might be. I know that the stores on St. Thomas are closed on Sundays, and St. Barth's (being French and Catholic) might also be "closed down" aside from the odd shop or two. I think you will not have a problem finding a taxi, though. It's a very small island and very hilly. There are some good photo spots from overlooks, but the tour might not last too long. You won't find the plethora of cheap T-shirt/souvenir shops, either. I had to look awhile just to find a St. Barth's T-shirt! There are some nice beaches, but kind of "off the beaten path"....and clothing optional. There's one, near Gustavia, called Shell Beach...not very sandy (hence the name), but great snorkelling. have fun!

Archived