Vista, Dream, or Magic

canadaman111

We recently faced the same dilemma. Booking a cruise for our family group of 10 people. Choice was between Vista and Magic. I actually initially booked Vista, because it would be a brand new ship. But with the Magic in dry dock, next week, it will be upgraded with many popular additions. With teenaged boys going, Magic is more appealing(ropes course, etc).

I agree......you will have a fabulous time, no matter which you chose. It will SURPASS all your expectations!

Hi Cruiser

Welcome to cruising. . We are from Ontario Can also, about 30 minutes from Buffalo. Your decision and ours for our next cruise in 2016 the very same. We have already done the Dream and it's very nice. So our choices were actually the Carnival Vista or the Carnival Magic. And considering all things costs and ship comparisons . We have decide on the Carnival Magic . It basically has everything we wanted and was a bit cheaper in cost . The Vista being new, we can wait for the price to come down . No matter what enjoy your cruise and Happy Cruising:).

Cruise time the best of times. Carnival Magic Nov 2016

kruise kat :), kruise runner:cool:

I would sail on Magic because as your first cruise, you have nothing to compare. If you sail on Vista, any other Carnival ship will seem like a downgrade.

I have sailed on Dream many times and loved it when it sailed from Pt Canaveral. I still like it, but not as much since it sails from NOLA. Magic is going to get the Guy's burgers when it goes into drydock which might even be tomorrow. if not it is going very soon.

We are going on Magic in the fall and I love sailing from Pt Canaveral. I think the people sailing from there are more friendly than sailing from Miami. There are just too many ships in Miami and I try to avoid going there whenever I can.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Canadaman111

This is just a thought for your Cruise 2018. We live in the Niagara area and use to drive to Toronto the day before our cruise to fly out. Now we fly out of Buffalo the day before. Considering your long trip and expenses both going and coming home . It might be worth checking out the Buffalo Airport Southwest Air to Orlando and a shuttle to Cape Canaveral . Also the Radisson Inn is a very good hotel to stay at and has shuttle service. We use to drive but not anymore . We get there and enjoy our holiday. As I have said something to ponder for your first cruise. The Magic good choice. :D

Just waiting to Cruise

kruise runner:cool:

Edited by kruise runner

We have checked out air fare. Obviously we can't check prices for 2018. But we can for this time 2017 and the cheapest we can find was $193pp each way totaling $2500 or so USD. We can drove for far less then that. We are actually now thinking about going to galveston for the breeze. We like it's ports better and it is in late Feb 2018 instead of early January which should mean nicer weather to drive in and even nicer weather on the cruise...

The ports really don't matter top us, we have not been to any of them. The Breeze has 3 ports, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The Magic has 4 ports, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany bay, and Costa Maya.

I like the Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary. I am not a fan of Belize and I prefer 3 ports and 3 sea days. What about the Dream out of New Orleans? A lot of the time New Orleans cruises are cheaper than the cruises out of Galveston and they go to the same ports. There is a cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans leaving on 2/26/17 that goes to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

We have not cruised before and are trying to narrow down which ship to pick. We are planning for Feb 2018. Since we have not cruised before I am sure we would be happy with any of the three. We live in Ontario Canada so we aren't to concerned with where we would be leaving from. We will likely drive either way because we are a family of 6 and flights will be just to expensive. According to google maps New Orleans is the closest port to us at about 18 1/2 hours. Port Canaveral is roughly 21 hours for the magic, and Miami for the Vista about 24 hours. The Vista cruise is a 6 night and the other 2 are 7 nights so that is a factor.

The dream looks nice. There are just 2 things holding me back on it. One is it doesn't have a ropes course. The other is that it doesn't have Guys burgers. I really wanted to try that. I believe Dream is going into drydock in 2017 so I guess it could get Guys then.

The Magic checks off all of my boxes. It goes into dry dock soon to get a face lift.

The Vista is well, Vista. I looks amazing. It also has interior connecting rooms that the other 2 don't which can save us some cash. But it is the longest drive and 1 night shorter of a cruise.

I am just not sure where my priorities should be when picking ships. We aren't to concerned with the ports we would stop at, we haven't been to any of them..

What do you experts think???

Ok so if you check my signature me and my family cruise ... ALOT... my boss has now took to asking to mark the office calendar when I am actual in work haha she is a good manager :)

My first cruise with Carnival was the Dream it was one of my favourite ships! I loved her really would recommend her

I have not (Yet) been on the Carnival Vista but will be this October ... it looks pretty amazing although to be truthfully honest I would not choose this cruise for you because it is a shorter cruise! :)

So for me it would be either the Magic or the Dream you are best selecting which is best for you driving a few more hours and getting a ship that ticks off your boxes or the closer cruise which does not have guys burgers

Either way good luck in choosing :) and happy cruising!

Whoa before you book! I would definitely do the Vista and here is why! You can drive to Buffalo (very close to you, right?) My friends fly Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale all the time - I looked at the rates today and they are about $100 - $125 roundtrip on Spirit Airlines per person. I checked with my friends and sometimes it is less but really never more and the prices maintain from year to year. We fly them all the time. The Shuttle picks you up at Fort lauderdale and takes u straight to port of Miami. I have done this multiple times myself. I am on Vista next Feb 2017. Please consider booking an 8 day on Vista - the itinerary is one of the best. I know u say u have not been to any of the islands before but the 8 day islands far surpass the 6 day islands (and I have been to them all ). You do not need to drive - u can fly and have a much more relaxing trip!!

I am following this thread too. Our 25th anniversary is Aug 2017 and we are looking at either the Magic or the Vista. The Magic is closer but the Vista looks awesome. Will be following the comments and reviews to help me decide

We are so torn. We want to do the magic because Port Canaveral is a 3 hours closer the Galveston for us. But the Breeze from Galveston is $250 cheaper for the 6 of us and has just 3 ports instead of 4. We have never cruised before and I am sure either one will be absolutely amazing. We are hoping to book this week so we need to decide

Hi canadaman111. This is a tough decision and one I toiled over for a week before going with the Vista because it's leaving out of Miami. It was between Vista and Breeze for me, but I've hear that out of Galveston in Feb is a cold start (a day or so before being in warmth). But who knows with the weather... I'm sure you'll love whatever you decide on. Have a great vacation!

We are so torn. We want to do the magic because Port Canaveral is a 3 hours closer the Galveston for us. But the Breeze from Galveston is $250 cheaper for the 6 of us and has just 3 ports instead of 4. We have never cruised before and I am sure either one will be absolutely amazing. We are hoping to book this week so we need to decide

You really couldn't go wrong with either. However, since this is your first cruise I would go on the Breeze. I think first time cruisers want to spend time on the ship to see how it is and the Magic has a 4 port, 2 sea day itinerary while the Breeze has a 3 port, 3 sea day itinerary giving you more time on the ship.

You really couldn't go wrong with either. However, since this is your first cruise I would go on the Breeze. I think first time cruisers want to s pend time on the ship to see how it is and the Magic has a 4 port, 2 sea day itinerary while the Breeze has a 3 port, 3 sea day itinerary giving you more time on the ship.

I agree! I also believe Carnival is running another reduced deposit sale this week.

We are going on the Dream for the 3rd Time in May. We have enjoyed each of our other two cruises and have discovered that the crew makes the cruise. We have been on the Conquest and hated it. Hated the port of NOLA's to and the long 8 hour trip down the river, but we are trying again. All vacations are what you make them, cruise or otherwise.

We have not cruised before and are trying to narrow down which ship to pick. We are planning for Feb 2018. Since we have not cruised before I am sure we would be happy with any of the three. We live in Ontario Canada so we aren't to concerned with where we would be leaving from. We will likely drive either way because we are a family of 6 and flights will be just to expensive. According to google maps New Orleans is the closest port to us at about 18 1/2 hours. Port Canaveral is roughly 21 hours for the magic, and Miami for the Vista about 24 hours. The Vista cruise is a 6 night and the other 2 are 7 nights so that is a factor.

The dream looks nice. There are just 2 things holding me back on it. One is it doesn't have a ropes course. The other is that it doesn't have Guys burgers. I really wanted to try that. I believe Dream is going into drydock in 2017 so I guess it could get Guys then.

The Magic checks off all of my boxes. It goes into dry dock soon to get a face lift.

The Vista is well, Vista. I looks amazing. It also has interior connecting rooms that the other 2 don't which can save us some cash. But it is the longest drive and 1 night shorter of a cruise.

I am just not sure where my priorities should be when picking ships. We aren't to concerned with the ports we would stop at, we haven't been to any of them..

What do you experts think???

We always go for the newer ships. VISTA

Use caution with Spirit. They cancel a lot of flights. Spent two years of my life fielding complaints about them. Dont wanna miss the cruise.

I always fly in the day before on spirit and take the first flight of the day. I fly them a couple of times a month and they have not cancelled me yet. But always come a day early and arrive at your departure airport at least two hours in advance as spirit seems to close the boarding door early