Boarding in Galveston

stephenandrew

Hi-

I have read (pretty consistently I think) that embarkation at Gavelston is typically slow---sounds like the terminal there is not equipped to handle the large number of people who board Grand Class Vessels. We are taking a Western Carribbean Cruise on 1/21 (Grand), and I am not one who likes standing around waiting in lines, whether it is for dinner at the Olive Garden, waiting to ride Space Mountian at Disney, or boading a cruise ship. For anyone who has embarked at Galveston, did the lines thin after a certain point? Or for that matter, am I mistaken---was boarding pretty easy even early on? Thanks.

The problem in Galveston is traffic flow in front of the terminal. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Once inside, the process goes as quickly as anywhere else, but outside, it was a nightmare. The biggest problem was that designated areas for airport transfers, private vehicles, hotel shuttles, etc. were not being enforced.

It depends how you are getting to the port for the best advice. Are you flying in, or driving, and are you coming in a day early?

The problem in Galveston is traffic flow in front of the terminal. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Once inside, the process goes as quickly as anywhere else, but outside, it was a nightmare. The biggest problem was that designated areas for airport transfers, private vehicles, hotel shuttles, etc. were not being enforced.

It depends how you are getting to the port for the best advice. Are you flying in, or driving, and are you coming in a day early?

Hi--

Thaks for the help---we are flying into Houston IAH the evening before and spending the night at a hotel by the IAH airport. We have a car to take us to ship the following day to emabark---we can leave Houston at our convenience.

Let's hope that things improve a little at the terminal this year. People with car service seemed to have the least problems getting in and out (don't know about the drivers, however). I think if you plan on getting there around 1 PM you should be fine. I just won't make any promises about the traffic! Good luck.

My wife and I cruised on the Grand last March (Spring Break) and we did not have a problem or did we wait in lines, we did sit for about 15 min. in the terminal with a group of early birds before we were allowed to board.

Our time table was something like this, arrived at the terminal 11:00am dropped off my wife and sister inlaw along with the luggage. They checked it in while my BIL and I took the car over to EZ Cruise parking. Back in 15 min. walked in to the terminal, found the wives at the ticket counter, checked in and boarded the ship at 11:50am. Not bad as far as I am concerned.

If you do not want to wait come to the terminal after 1:00pm, the traffic has thinned out and you can walk right in and get on the ship. NOW disembarking is another matter, if there is more than one ship in port plan on waiting a while, relax, go to the bar, or just chill out. The problem is traffic entering and leaving the terminal area. Galveston needs to take a look at its traffic plan and how they can make it more efficient. Have a great cruise.

As previously noted, the problem is getting to the terminal--not the terminal itself. Sailed from there last December with three ships in port and took longer to get from the back of the Grand to the terminal than it took to get from Houston to Galveston--over an hour. However, sailed from there again last month with only one ship in port and had no problems.

There will be two ships in port the day you sail--Grand and Galaxy, so expect moderate delays.

You can find out who is in port by going to:

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/calendars.shtml

NOW disembarking is another matter, if there is more than one ship in port plan on waiting a while, relax, go to the bar, or just chill out. The problem is traffic entering and leaving the terminal area. Galveston needs to take a look at its traffic plan and how they can make it more efficient. Have a great cruise.

Thansk for the tip--I had scheduled a 4:45 PM flight out of IAH for this reason--I figured we could wait and let the crowds thin out--basically be the last people off the ship. I figured we would disembark between 10:30AM - 11:00AM. Hopefully all (most) of the congestion in terms of people and traffic will have cleared out by then. We have arranged to have a car pick us up, so maybe it will be smooth.

We sailed Princess last year (departing on a Saturday) and RCL the year before (departing on a Sunday) both times, we embarked probably @ 1pm-ish - and have had no problems - checked in fairly quick. My husband drops us off w/ the luggage, then parks, returns, then check-in. Its been fairly smooth.

When you come back the next week (Saturday) - you could have a total of THREE ships trying to unload at the same time. Last year, that was the case for us. It was so chaotic - I couldn't believe it. If you can wait - that's great. I'm not sure how long it takes for it to thin out. I believe there have been other threads on the topic - so I won't bore you ;)

We have had 3 cruises out of Galveston and the only time there was a long line was right after 9-11, in 2001. We have always gotten to the terminal around 11ish or so. Last December we walked right up to the counter without any kind of delay.

The big problem IS the car, bus, shuttle & limo traffic in front of the terminal. I've been in it as a cruiser and as a limo driver. It is a left turn off of Harborside Drive into the terminal area and it gets jammed up real quick. There are other ways(hint, hint) to avoid some of this Harborside Drive traffic.

Also, the Gulf Freeway(I-45) from Houston to Galveston is locally known as a freeway prone to delays of one sort or another so keep that in mind.

Archived