Recommendations for Cherbourg...

vakamalua

We will be in Cherbourg in May from 8:00 am-6:00 pm on the HAL Koningsdam.

Am I correct that there is not much to see in Cherbourg itself?

We have not been able to find any private or small group shore excursions. We are currently leaning toward one of the the ship's excursions--either Bayeux OR Cap de la Hague. Anyone done either of these excursions on any line or have any recommendations?

I should add that we have already been to Mount Saint Michel; and are not looking for a tour to the D-Day beaches.

Thanks.

Edited by vakamalua

That port is well located to visit the WWII Normandy beaches and related sites. We happened to be there on the June 6 anniversary weekend and had a wonderful time. We simply rented a car (we walked to the rental car office from the port) to a couple of the beaches and then to the celebration at St Mere Eglise (a lovely little village). The rental car cost us less than 70€ for the day and gave us a lot of flexibility to move around the region. The best part is that since we did not have to drive into any larger cities the traffic was light and driving easy.

Hank

No, we are on the same cruise and have the same problem.

We do not wish to do a war tour as the Aussie troops were not involved, having been brought back home to defend against the Japanese.

The only private tour I found was expensive and had so so reviews.

We do not want to hire a car for the day, too stressful being on the other side of the road for the day.

We have booked the ship's tour to Bayeux but I have to say that we are quite disappointed in the changes to the cruise itinerary since we booked.

We visited Cherbourg last October. As you get off the ship straight ahead is La Cité de la Mer, a family attraction. It has an Aquarium, Titanic Exhibition, Submarine and an interactive activity. We thought it was an excellent attraction and although you could easily spend the whole day there we were there for about 4 hours, then we walked into the town, about 20 minutes or so and had a very nice lunch and walked back (although there were shuttle coaches available). There is also a shopping center near to the terminal.

We will be in Cherbourg in May from 8:00 am-6:00 pm on the HAL Koningsdam.

Am I correct that there is not much to see in Cherbourg itself?

We have not been able to find any private or small group shore excursions. We are currently leaning toward one of the the ship's excursions--either Bayeux OR Cap de la Hague. Anyone done either of these excursions on any line or have any recommendations?

I should add that we have already been to Mount Saint Michel; and are not looking for a tour to the D-Day beaches.

Thanks.

I would suggest Bayeux over Cap de la hague. Don't get me wrong, the Cap is quite pretty, but Bayeux is lovely with some great architecture, the tapestry and the cathedral is beautiful etc.

I've also come across some walking tours of Bayeux that get some good write ups - never done them, but maybe this year when we're across for the DDay celebrations agin.

There are some cool things in Cherbourg too - a boat trip to the Napoleonic and WW2 fortificatiions.

Just found out that this year is William the Conqueror's (actually he's Quillaume Conquerant) 950th anniversary this year and there'll be a lot going on locally as he sailed just around the corner at Barfleur.

There's also a HUGE museum at the Cite de la Mer (Cherbourg) with displays etc of the French submarines (Jules Verne fame) and Titanic history.

Around the port, there are some really quirky restuarants (one that we've been too a few times, but can't remember the name), but it produces fantastic, local, reasonable food - I love the fish soup followed by moules and frittes, with creme brulee to finish with it all washed down with either Rose or red wine de la maison!

Hope this helps? ;)

Kevin