'Marigot On Your Own' excursion

markyb

An excursion option on our upcoming Celebrity cruise is 'Marigot On Your Own' which has a four hour duration. Has anybody experienced this excursion?.......

The description refers to sailing on inland waters on the 'Pride of St Barths', implying that you sail to Marigot, and if so, do you return by boat?

Also, any thoughts on spending four hours in Marigot?

Thanks

We just returned from St Martin after one week in a condo on the beach in Grand Case followed by a week on the Wind Surf.

In 1992 we were on a cruise that we did a catamaran tour with a lunch stop in Marigot. It was a glorious day and I was looking forward to returning to Marigot this time. We drove down from Grand Case and spent some time walking around the Marigot market. Lots of vendors with mostly all the same stuff. We then went in search of the cute harbor we had been to in 1992. Found it and wandered around the few shops and restaurants but have to say it wasn't as cool as I remembered. Went to Sarafinia's but I think the pastry shops in Boston and the North End have much better pastries. There is a mall in Marigot with many shops if you're interested. We didn't go in but it looked nice.

In the end, Marigot wasn't the cute town we remembered but a thriving city with lots of traffic. It makes me sad to say that and I'm sure there are still some cute shops but we were so disappointed. As far as four hours goes, if you want to walk around and have some food it's probably plenty of time. If you are driving, the area around Marigot can be crazy especially if there are any accidents which causes major backups in and out of Marigot.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just returned from St Martin after one week in a condo on the beach in Grand Case followed by a week on the Wind Surf.

In 1992 we were on a cruise that we did a catamaran tour with a lunch stop in Marigot. It was a glorious day and I was looking forward to returning to Marigot this time. We drove down from Grand Case and spent some time walking around the Marigot market. Lots of vendors with mostly all the same stuff. We then went in search of the cute harbor we had been to in 1992. Found it and wandered around the few shops and restaurants but have to say it wasn't as cool as I remembered. Went to Sarafinia's but I think the pastry shops in Boston and the North End have much better pastries. There is a mall in Marigot with many shops if you're interested. We didn't go in but it looked nice.

In the end, Marigot wasn't the cute town we remembered but a thriving city with lots of traffic. It makes me sad to say that and I'm sure there are still some cute shops but we were so disappointed. As far as four hours goes, if you want to walk around and have some food it's probably plenty of time. If you are driving, the area around Marigot can be crazy especially if there are any accidents which causes major backups in and out of Marigot.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our first visit to Marigot was in 1992 and Marigot not Philipsburg was the town to visit. After the Euro came into use in the 2000's Marigot began its downward spiral and when the Euro was very high around 2010 Marigot got pretty dumpy in my opinion but in the last couple of years with the euro on the down slide its been on the upswing a bit and I have noticed buildings being painted and less closed buildings in the shopping area.