Ketchikan excursions RCCL

funtimex2

We are trying to decide between two excursion and not much information is offered on RCCL website.

Looking to hear from anyone who has done either of these and also to find out if it is offered outside of the cruise line.

RCCL KE19 Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast

goes to George Inlet Lodge with Dungeness crab. Includes a 7 mile cruise and to learn about the crabbing history.

RCCL KE83 Seafeast and Alaska Lodge Adventrue

goes to Silverking Lodge with a seafood boil. cruise nearby waters and past naval submarine facility. Also see largest red cedar in the Tongass National Forest

Hi Funtimex2,

Have you tried using the search field and just entering Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast or The Seafest and Alaska Lodge Adventure?

I was on Princess Cruises last year and these same excursion were also offered on our sailings.

For the Wilderness Exploration you can also google George Inlet Lodge.

Another resource is the sister site tripadvisor where you can google George Inlet Lodge or the SilverKing Lodge. Or the name of the tours without rccl. You will see a lot of pictures and trip reviews.

We took the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast. We booked through Princess. This was the only tour we book from the cruise line. All other trips were booked independently. I am not sure if you can book this tour on your own or if the cruise lines book all the spots for the day. You could call or email the George Inlet Lodge or SilverKing Lodge and inquire directly.

The day we took this tour it was pouring rain. The boat is enclosed for the tour so we did not get wet while on board. Although it was raining we enjoyed taking this tour. We took at boat tour and a guide explained Dungeness crabbing. One person pulled up the crab pot and we were able to hold up a crab and get pictures. We sailed past the old Libby cannery and saw an eagles nest. Even though it was raining we were still seeing the beauty of Ketchikan.

I would say the highlight of the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast was the all you can eat Dungeness crabs. It was a delicious meal!

There is a large wooden staircase to get down to the George Inlet Lodge and boat landing. Don't worry--if you don't want to walk up or down the stairs they have a van that will drive you to the base of the lodge. I have a bad knee so I took the van ride.

Photo tip--Ketchikan is rainy so if you like to have to take pictures and you have a DSLR camera you may want to buy a rain sleeve to protect your camera. I got this tip from the photography board.

I was researching the same trips last year. I ultimately choice the tour based on the meal being offered and the photo I saw on tripadvisor.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have fun planning your trip!

Edited by world_traveler_et
grammer