Probolinggo - a trishaw ride in sweet little town.

WeiMin

Many skip visiting Probolinggo because most cruisers are in a hurry to visit Mt Bromo. It is about an hour and half drive away through narrow roads and what a rush to get there view the volcano and then rush back.

We decided to use the free shuttle bus to downtown Probolinggo. Did a bit of shopping then then latched on to a man-powered rickshaw (two leg power) who took us to an interesting Nasi Padang restaurant for lunch. He waited for us, we ate our fill and then paid him a bit more to bring us on a tour of the town.

It is a lovely town, with very old dutch buildings and lots of trees, took us about an hour to ride through the town and then he dropped us at the pickup point for the shuttle. Have lovely memories and photos of the houses, alleys and people walking casually along the roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info. What company were you cruising with? We are heading to this port in June with Princess and it would be good to know that there is at least a shuttle port side. Is this a tender port or does the ship dock?

Were there any taxi's and tour companies waiting when you got of the ship? I would really like to visit Madakaripura Waterfalls.

This port is tendered.

The cruise liner was Holland American.

1. If the shuttle bus brings you to the shopping area, there are many taxis there, this is the place where we found the trishaw.

2. If there is no shuttle bus, there are also private cars and taxis waiting at the pier side. I do not know their rates as I had the shuttle bus.

I did not go to the waterfall area, just spend the time in town.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the info. What company were you cruising with? We are heading to this port in June with Princess and it would be good to know that there is at least a shuttle port side. Is this a tender port or does the ship dock?

Were there any taxi's and tour companies waiting when you got of the ship? I would really like to visit Madakaripura Waterfalls.

HI THERE

We also would like to visit the Madakaripura Waterfalls - on Dawn Princess leaving Fremantle end of July. Do you know how far they are from the dock ? Will prob' be looking for a driver for the day

• 2 weeks later...
This port is tendered.

1. If the shuttle bus brings you to the shopping area, there are many taxis there, this is the place where we found the trishaw.

2. If there is no shuttle bus, there are also private cars and taxis waiting at the pier side. I do not know their rates as I had the shuttle bus.

Thanks for the great tips. We are doing that Indonesian cruise with HAL next year and this is exactly the sort of information I've been looking for. :)

This port is tendered.

Thank you for this. I too only want to see the surrounding area. The Mount B tour is unfortunately too long for me. What did you find intersting. Did you notice if there is a botanic garden or sort of.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...