Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Oh I do so agree.

As a proud Aussie (albeit originally a Pome :rolleyes:) I too believe NZ has it all over Australia in many respects. However' date=' it really does surprise me that this was not better organised.

I wonder whether the crew accompanying the excursion groups were less well versed in corralling passengers, particular with the gondola down. If I recall the gondola is self loading, but it does sound like there were staff on hand to fill the cabins. They should have insisted on letting people on who could do so.

Shades of Santorini - the queues there to get back down to the tender can be horrendous and the staff do not insist on filling the gondolas.

Cruise lines offer this circumnavigation and attract overseas visitors who are time poor so can get a taste of Australia by doing this cruise. It is not ideal but, hey, we have a massive country - well continent actually! And, unlike NZ, it is difficult to access a broad cross-section of what we have to offer just by cruising the coastline.

No answers, just bucket loads of sympathy - I do live in the best country in the world, but it's just so BIG! :o[/quote']

There is no way to do Australia properly in much less than a year. However we loved our circumnavigation of Aus and NZ and they are both beautiful countries.

So few Americans realize that Us is about the same size as the USA.

Nope. I can get oats that are deglutinised (is there such a word) back home..... or something labelled as such.... but oats themselves set me off.... :eek:

I'm sorry for anyone who can't eat ANZAC's.

Nope. I can get oats that are deglutinised (is there such a word) back home..... or something labelled as such.... but oats themselves set me off.... :eek:

:o:o:o

How sad. Did you get the history behind the ANZAC biscuits with the recipe?

Hi Linda,

So sorry to hear about your exhausting experience on the ship's tour to Kuranda! It reminded me of my cruise with a similar Celebrity Solstice itinerary a couple of years ago. I had booked the Skyrail privately online as I live in Queensland and had been there before, but my new cruising friends from Georgia had booked a ship's tour. Unfortunately the tender was delayed and my friends were told that their tour had been cancelled. They were so disappointed but fortunately I was able to phone Skyrail from the ship and get them booked into my 11.00am departure going both ways with Skyrail so they were delighted.

Not only did we have an enjoyable day together but they managed to save $89 each on their original tour! We did have a bit of a wait for the Skyrail down but ended up having drinks at the yacht club before returning on the tender! It often pays to get to know the locals on Cruise Critic!

I am so enjoying reading this wonderful blog and appreciate the time you spend doing this for everyone. I wish you all the best for the rest of your trip and also on your journey home.:)

Kuranda station is very pretty

DSCN9260.jpg

If I'm honest this is why I avoid ship's excursions

DSCN9261.jpg

DSCN9262.jpg

We are bussed to the stop.... Celebrity this is a waste of time..... the stop is walkable to the town. I can't take pics as the only place left is the middle seat back row my original seat having been taken.

DSCN9265.jpg

DSCN9266.jpg

DSCN9268.jpg

Hi Linda,

I am sorry to hear about your exhausting and hot day trip out of Cairns :(.

I trust that this post finds you well recovering, as you have thousands of fans that are waiting on your next installment.

BTW as you sail past us here in Townsville I thought that you should be aware that your safety as you transit the GBR, is being carefully monitored by AMSA REEFVTS (which I know you were briefed on earlier in your cruise). Unbeknown to many North Queenslanders (including many citizens of my garrison city Townsville) is that AMSA VTS is located in Townsville! So these fine men and women, 24/7 monitor and manage all shipping from up in the Torres Strait down to about Bundaberg and ensure that you, all the ships and our reef remain safe. More info on REEF VTS can be found at https://www.amsa.gov.au/navigation/services/reefvts/ So rest easy, :cool:

Hi Linda,

I am sorry to hear about your exhausting and hot day trip out of Cairns :(.

I trust that this post finds you well recovering, as you have thousands of fans that are waiting on your next installment.

BTW as you sail past us here in Townsville I thought that you should be aware that your safety as you transit the GBR, is being carefully monitored by AMSA REEFVTS (which I know you were briefed on earlier in your cruise). Unbeknown to many North Queenslanders (including many citizens of my garrison city Townsville) is that AMSA VTS is located in Townsville! So these fine men and women, 24/7 monitor and manage all shipping from up in the Torres Strait down to about Bundaberg and ensure that you, all the ships and our reef remain safe. More info on REEF VTS can be found at https://www.amsa.gov.au/navigation/services/reefvts/ So rest easy, :cool:

Thank you.... super information..... the skill and professionalism of the reef pilot was awesome..... I never did get to shake his hand.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm blown away by all the support from everyone.

-----------

I'm almost done with the blog today..... been a struggle for sure..... you have 2 sea days and 2 port days (Brisbane and Newcastle) to ask questions then this part of the blog will be done and you can step down from the mission to keep me company. Before the Bridge visit I had planned on buttonholing some of the super staff and questioning some more but I'm not about to do that now. They went above and beyond for me and I'm taking a step back. Of course if they offer...... ;)

I'll keep blogging my 3 days in Sydney and 3 days in Uluru so if you have questions for either place throw them in the pot too.

I really thought that was it for today.

Went to dinner in Oceanview. Really hungry. Italian night. Two portions mozzarella, tomatoes and basil; fish, BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes..... almost succumbed to the lasagne but restrained myself..... it looked so good....

Back to my room. There's a phone message. From the Excursions Back Office with an apology and a good try at an explanation for the chaos. And mention of a token of apology sent to the room. So I look over to the table.

A bottle of wine (red) and a plate of strawberries.

Covered in chocolate.

I was wondering about the GF food when you go off the ship. When I go to the Caribbean I bring a GF Card in the language that is spoken to explain what I can't have. But, I wouldn't assume you would need that now. I hope you are doing better today. I never thought to order GF food from room service. This is good to know and it sounds like they brought you a lovely meal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always get really happy when I see the plate of strawberries covered in chocolate in my room. Royal Caribbean sent us something every day on the Serenade but I guess they didn't look at my booking to notice that I was GF. Hubby was very happy :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was wondering about the GF food when you go off the ship. When I go to the Caribbean I bring a GF Card in the language that is spoken to explain what I can't have.

I was going to mention these cards but you beat me to it! :) I have used them in the Baltics (I took them in all the different languages of the ports we visited) - it made a huge difference and really helped facilitate getting gf food when onshore. I'm not sure why I didn't take one to the Caribbean as it would have really helped - next time! Here is the link that I use, in case anyone is interested

http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/

Linda, I´m so sorry that you weren´t able to enjoy your trip to Kuranda. I did it SkyRail first and the journey back on the train and it went very well. There are less crowds at the SkyRail in the morning.

If you go to Uluru from Sydney be aware it gets even more hot there. Tour operators insist that every guest brings at least 1 ltr of water with them. I´d say you will be better with 3 ltr and good sun protection.

Edited by AntjeG