Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

DSCN6690.jpg

DSCN6692.jpg

We drive by the Forsyth Barr Rugby stadium where we are regaled with stories about nude rugby. I kid you not. Apparently there are YouTube videos. I've not looked..... yet.....

We head into the cemetery to pass the family tomb of the Larnach family; we are to visit the castle later.

DSCN6699.jpg

DSCN6703.jpg

DSCN6704.jpg

Flagstaff Summit

DSCN6705.jpg

We head to Baldwin Street which purports to be the steepest street in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records. According to 'Wiki' the 161.2 metres (529 ft) long top section climbs 47.2 metres (155 ft) vertically, an average gradient of 1:3.41. At its maximum, about 70 metres (230 ft) below the top,[3] the slope of Baldwin Street is about 1:2.86 (19° or 35%). That is, for every 2.86 metres travelled horizontally, the elevation changes by 1 metre.

And to answer your question..... no. I didn't climb it.....

DSCN6717.jpg

DSCN6718.jpg

We then go to the Botanical Gardens. I could fill an album with the gloriousness that is here..... I could spend have spent hours here easily.

DSCN6719.jpg

DSCN6720.jpg

DSCN6721.jpg

The Rose Garden..... oh my goodness.....

DSCN6722.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Your photos revive some memories.

Happy ones I hope....

Started posting sat in the library; went for lunch in Oceanview then to Cafe al Bacio for another coffee...... pod of dolphins swam by..... caught sight of a dorsal fin....

Dunedin centre itself has seen much revitalisation.... many buildings converted from original use to apartment living

DSCN6781.jpg

The original 1863 Synagogue is now an art gallery. It's behind here..... I don't get to see it from the street. It's the world's southernmost synagogue.

DSCN6782.jpg

There is a marching band competition taking place in the centre

DSCN6784.jpg

DSCN6787.jpg

DSCN6788.jpg

St Paul's Cathedral in the background

DSCN6789.jpg

The story of how Linda was late back to the meeting point will remain forever a painful memory and one for which she will be forever mentally atoning.

I have many many pictures of the interior..... will only share a few.... don't want to bore.... you can read more about Larnach, his family and troubles here

The interior has been lovingly restored and much of the original furniture has been purchased back from whom it was sold in distressed times.... some was gifted back....

The views as you head up the flights of stairs is spectacular

DSCN6845.jpg

DSCN6846.jpg

DSCN6847.jpg

A suspended staircase

DSCN6851.jpg

I decide not to climb the last 18 steps up

DSCN6853.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Some interior pics.....

A knee bath

DSCN6841.jpg

A marble lamp.....

DSCN6833.jpg

This bath is an original

DSCN6844.jpg

DSCN6821.jpg

DSCN6822.jpg

A call went out for people who had purchased items from the house to step forward so they could be purchased back or donated..... many people claimed to have pieces.... this dresser is one that was authenticated

DSCN6826.jpg

Thanks for the Dunedin photos Linda.

Two things

- seeing the botanic gardens encourages me that we still have reason to visit Dunedin (having been there 4 times already and not seen them!!)

- I'm so glad to see, from the photos of Lanarch Castle that the restoration has continued successfully. When we were there 9 years ago it was hanging in the balance.

I agree the view from the top is magnificent.

Thanks for sharing

I'm glad your tender time to Dawes Point was not half an hour - I could not understand why that was said!

I was actually dismayed when I could not see the ship moored at Athol Buoy when I crossed the Bridge yesterday, then when I did see the ship I realised you weren't actually at Athol Buoy, you looked like you were at the Clarke Island Buoy on the other side of the Harbour.

You were moored because Solstice was only in Sydney as a port of call and Royal Caribbean already had Explorer booked at the OPT. None of the RCI ships moor around at White Bay because they are too big. Solstice is not a lot smaller than Explorer (which is the largest ship to dock at the OPT) Coming in on the train she's pretty impressive!.

Sounds like you managed a very full day in Sydney - well done.

The Nurses Walk and Suez Canal are part of the area known as The Rocks. I have been known to take O/S visitors on a history tour of Circular Quay, The Rocks and Dawes Point - just as well I hadn't planned on doing that with you :D

We had our daughter's wedding reception on the roof of the MCA after the ceremony on Observatory Hill - pretty specky - shall I bore you with the pics when we meet? :)

Keep up the great work. So very much enjoying all your posts. Enjoy Melbourne tomorrow! Can't wait to hear what you do there :)