Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

Met up with my wonderful friend and have ticked off some items from my list of gifts to take home; head back to locate more specific souvenirs.

DSCN0066.jpg

Inside the Queen Victoria Building

DSCN0069.jpg

Not in an inside stateroom any more..... Radisson Blu

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

She's reversing out

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN00100.jpg

The next day there is a group of Solstice and Princess guests heading out to the Blue Mountains.

DSCN0101.jpg

The Anzac bridge looked lovely in the early morning light, even though it was raining, the car lights led the way

By the time we have reached our destination the weather has cleared

DSCN0103.jpg

Whilst the other coach has managed to take the railway down we have to take the cable car

DSCN0108.jpg

It's here I come unstuck and need to upload a whole bunch of pics I've missed out...... will do that in Sydney.... the best laid plans etc etc.....

If you are ever in Sydney do a tour to the Blue Mountains. Definitely. The long drive up there is well worth it.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Uluru was amazing. I have no idea what prompted me to book the little side trip but I am so glad I did. Could have done with more time to be honest..... maybe another day..... but it was a perfect way for me to shake off the Cruise experience and have something that is substantial to bring me back down to earth.

Am bemused right now; checked in to the Rydges Hotel in Sydney on recommendation; superfast wifi...... it's coping really well with the very many pics from the last 3 days. They have a power hub on the desk which is geared for various international plugs. Never seen that before.

Time change to deal with again. And more to come. Someone on the TBus to the hotel commented that there won't be shopping at Changi as I'll be there late in the evening doing my 'get off the plane get back on the plane' thing..... That's ok..... spent most of my remaining $AUD at Sydney T2 where they've opened a branch of my favourite shop!! You know what a double take looks like? That. Only problem is they're geared up for Autumn / Winter of course rather than Spring / Summer but still managed to find something I liked ;)

Uluru was amazing. I have no idea what prompted me to book the little side trip but I am so glad I did. Could have done with more time to be honest..... maybe another day..... but it was a perfect way for me to shake off the Cruise experience and have something that is substantial to bring me back down to earth.

I am pleased you enjoyed your side trip! I am really looking forward to the pics. It was a long way to go after all your travels so far, and we have been reluctant in the past to do anything after a cruise, so it is good to hear it worked out well. :)

Have arrived at Sydney International way too early..... there's no bag drop facility here as they have at LHR...... two hours to wait till that opens.... may as well make myself useful eh? .......

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0174.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN0175.jpg

They didn't look too terrified as they came in...... hanging on to toddlers....

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

Now here's the predicament...... there's mesh right in front of me sitting in the very front seat.....

DSCN0178.jpg

I have pics of the ride up that are totally spoilt by that mesh...... it wasn't in the least bit scary travelling that way.... have seen a video a friend posted of their ride down...... looked like fun..... There's a tunnel portion so riding down you come into the light then have a sharp drop.

DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

From this site which has more info

Three sisters, Meenhi, Wimlah and Gunnedoo had a father who was a witch doctor. His name was Tyawan.

Long ago there was a Bunyip who lived in a deep hole who was feared by all.

Passing the hole was considered very dangerous, therefore whenever Tyawan had to pass the hole in search for food, he would leave his daughters safely on the cliff behind a rocky wall.

One fateful day, Tyawan waved goodbye to his daughters and descended down the cliff steps into the valley.

Meanwhile at the top of the cliff, Meenhi was frightened by a large centipede which suddenly appeared before her. Meenhi took a stone and threw it at the centipede. The stone continued on its journey and rolled over the cliff, crashing into the valley below which angered the Bunyip.

The rocky wall behind Meenhi, Wimlah and Gunnedoo then began to split open and the three sisters were left stranded on a thin ledge at the top of the cliff. All the birds, animals and fairies stopped still as the Bunyip emerged to see the terrified girls.

As the Bunyip began to approach the girls, to protect them from harm, their father Tyawan used his magic bone to turn them into stone.

Angered by this, the Bunyip then began to chase Tyawan. Becoming trapped, in order to flee from the Bunyip, Tyawan changed into a magnificent Lyre Bird, yet in the process dropped his magic bone. Tyawan and his three daughters were now safe from the Bunyip.

Once the Bunyip had disappeared, Tyawan returned in search of his magic bone, yet this was never to be found.

The Lyre Bird has been searching for this magic bone ever since. Remaining in rock formation, The Three Sisters stand silently overlooking the valley hoping that one day he'll find the bone and turn them back to former selves.

When visiting The Three Sisters, if you listen carefully you may be able to hear the Lyre Bird, Tyawan, as he continues his quest for his lost magic bone.

DSCN0214.jpg

Taken from the Queen Elizabeth lookout, named for her visit in 1954.

My eye was drawn down.... a flock of white birds..... by the time I get to focus in clearly they are gone....

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0221.jpg

A really informative and eye opening centre where my eyes are opened to aboriginal culture. More about the centre here

DSCN0222.jpg

We are told tales, first about the nature of the 'laws' or markings that are painted on their bodies which tell of their individual origins.

Then the story of how the didgeridoo came into being; each aspect is illustrated for the sound he is emulating

DSCN0232.jpg

And the smoking ceremony

DSCN0235.jpg

And the creation of the world

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

Many native birds find their way here, I have seen these out and about

WP_20160321_15_38_17_Pro_LI.jpg

Not seen too many of these since Akaroa..... and that seems a lifetime away

WP_20160321_15_40_12_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_42_31_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_43_24_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_55_56_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_54_27_Pro_LI.jpg

Quokka can be seen in their native habitat on Rottnest Island which is off Fremantle. I hate to see animals caged up. I really do, but they run a conservation, rescue and hospital here and hope this fella gets liberated.....