Question re: balconies and safety on DCL

Nykko4

Hi all...I'm new to cruise critic. I've sailed on Carnival several times but am now considering taking my children (4 & 2) on a Disney cruise when my youngest is 3. I usually prefer a stateroom with balcony but am concerned about safety. How high are the balcony banisters or are the balconies totally surrounded by glass. What about the locks on the door leading to the balcony? Are they out of reach?

Any feedback from those who have stayed in a balcony room is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Having raised two boys that were climbers, I guess I would go on the side of being a little more careful. Having lived in the Florida area for years, I have never heard of an incident on the ship. Kids could climb on them easily. The doors are not really easy to open for a child, but if you would sleep better, I would go with an outside view cabin.

Wife was like that when we took DD on her first cruise at age 4. We found that even if she climbed on the chairs or the furniture (which was a no no), she would still not "fall overboard".

Rule #1 was she could not go out there alone (there are locks up high that prevent this). Rule number 2 was no climbing.

There are no rungs to climb on....it's like a glass/plexiglass.

We had no problems, and the balcony is GREAT for you and DH to relax while the kids go to sleep.

DD has been on 4 cruises since and still knows the rules.

You'll be just fine as long as the 4 year old never has an opportunity to be alone on the balcony. A creative 4 year old could certainly push the chairs or table over and climb their way over the railing. My girls wouldn't have dared but my boys would have seen it as the ultimate challenge!! :D However, the balcony doors are pretty hard to open. It took my dear Hubby quite a few minutes to figure out the locks. A real humbling experience...

Cheryl

Archived