Teens traveling

My daughter has had two (soon to be three) cruises where she's eligible for the teen program. I am sure it depends on your teen and how much they WANT to be with you... but, we have certain times she needs to hang with us and then the rest of the time it's her choice. If there's an activity she wants to do we adjust.

While we were on the ship my daughters spent more time with the friends they made (not in the teen club). They did have dinner with us every night but otherwise we didn't see much of them.

This was my son on our first 2 cruises. On our last cruise he actually came back to the cabin more often during the day but he was pretty much a lone wolf on this last cruise. Said he didn't really make too many friends on this cruise until the last day. But even though he didn't find a 'crew' to hang with, he still didn't spend the days onboard with me.

My children have been on several cruises during their teenage years. Now in the 19/20 bracket, hence independent adults.

My children have enjoyed the cruises because for teenagers it is about having freedom to do your own things, explore on your own, make friends.

I would arrange a time to meet for pre-dinner. Either for a family get together or simply to go through the ritual of getting ready for dinner. This worked well for the whole of the family.

Even in the evenings my children would prefer to make their own choices whether to see a show and only occasionally would we sit together.

It is only when we go off the ship at the port stops that we stick together.

My kids have cruised since they where young. You have to make your own rules as to what works for you and your family. Flexibility is key. Don't plan on your child always being with friends if they don't make friends easily. My DD makes friends easily my DS not so much. DD has to include DS during the morning and afternoon, after dinner they part ways. DS usually hanging out with us.

We have the rule you have to have dinner with us every night. It seems that most parents have that same rule and have never has blow back about that. Sometimes she wants to see the show with us sometimes not. Sometimes we see her in the theater sitting with her friends.

The kids always go to the first night mixer and that's when they meet their people. Friendships are made very fast since they only have a week.