Cruises from Mobile

JABrown104

Hi,

Does anyone know if theres a reason why cruises from Mobile are only 4/5 days? And any idea if they would add another ship besides Fantasy to Mobile?

Thanks!

I think the biggest reasons is that the cruise originates a full day and half sail farther north of Tampa. So easily accessed ports would be Cozumel, Yucatan, and maybe Grand Cayman. Adding any of the eastern Islands would be essentially adding 3 or more days to the itinerary. As far as adding the bigger ships to Home port there, might be problematic just based on their size alone being able to turn around near the Terminal. Not saying it cant be done, just saying its tight!

Th Fantasy is Carnival's test ship in a way. They seem to like sending it to new ports and they seem to test and see if it's a viable market or not. If demand goes way up, I'm sure they will expand. If not, they will likely leave it as it is.

Give it a year or two and then see how Carnival responds.

Additionally, that terminal is not large at all, and would have trouble accommodating more passengers than what you see on Fantasy class.

The 4/5 repeat itinerary was one of my biggest gripes when we sailed from there. At the time, we were living in Hattiesburg, MS so it was easy to get to port. We have since moved, so this is no longer a convenient port for us, and I don't see us sailing from there again - UNLESS they offer an unique itinerary.

But with nearby New Orleans offering longer itineraries, I'm not sure that it will change much.

Th Fantasy is Carnival's test ship in a way. They seem to like sending it to new ports and they seem to test and see if it's a viable market or not. If demand goes way up, I'm sure they will expand. If not, they will likely leave it as it is.

Give it a year or two and then see how Carnival responds.

The Fantasy was previously in Mobile in the early part of 2010. When we sailed in June 2010 from Mobile, it had been replaced by the Elation in the last month or so.

Carnival offered a few 7 night cruises each year the last time they were in Mobile going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. That itinerary is offered in nearby NOLA, really no reason to offer it on a small ship in Mobile. I'm glad to see Costa Maya being offered from Mobile, after many cruises from the Gulf Coast we will get a new port on a short cruise.

I don't remember exactly why Carnival left Mobile but I do know when I tried to check some of the future cruises toward the end of the year they were way higher than me just driving to Tampa or Port Canaveral. Price would discourage me..