Dining room beverage and a la carte question

poona1

hello fellow ncl family,

although ncl does have some 'nickel and diming' extraneously, I have always had a great time over the past 10 years sailing with ncl. My question is two fold, one, how do I go about getting cocktails while dining under the UBP and number two, maybe I am just stupid, but what the hell is the definition of a la carte if I have the all dining package, do I still pay extra for the main dish, lets say one order of filer mignon....thanks in advance.

You just order a drink and UBP will cover it. As far as the a la carte, they changed their specialty restaurants from a flat fee cover charge to a regular dining menu where you pay for what you order. Doesn't have much effect for people with dining plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got off the Gem. We had the UDP. In the a la carte restaurants, you still order whatever you want, just ignore the prices. (I have to say, I hate a la carte dining venues on cruise ships.)

Our meal at Cagney's, btw, would have been $82 total for the two of us (just for the food) had we paid a la carte. So totally NOT worth it.

We just got off the Gem. We had the UDP. In the a la carte restaurants, you still order whatever you want, just ignore the prices. (I have to say, I hate a la carte dining venues on cruise ships.)

Our meal at Cagney's, btw, would have been $82 total for the two of us (just for the food) had we paid a la carte. So totally NOT worth it.

Is it the same for the newer SDP? (order what you want and ignore the prices)

Is it the same for the newer SDP? (order what you want and ignore the prices)

I'm curious as well. I am completely new to NCL and just booked the Spirit fort the end of the year. We were able to chose two packages, so we picked the drink and dining packages. We asked our TA, and he wasn't too sure, as apparently this whole a la carte thing is new.

Yes. Only one entree in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Extra entrees are charged at $10. Other than that you order what you want.

Ahh, so sides are covered as well as the one entree pp. Our TA wasn't sure about the sides. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes. Only one entree in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Extra entrees are charged at $10. Other than that you order what you want.

Is the $10 extra charge confirmed? I don't actually know of anyone having had a second entree, but I had assumed they would be charged the a la carte cost.

Not sure why the plan isn't worth it for your example. The plan is $69.62pp for 3 meals, so you pay $23-24pp for the Cagney's meal rather than $41pp. It's even less per meal if you buy a longer package.

Edited by Nola26

Not sure why the plan isn't worth it for your example. The plan is $69.62pp for 3 meals, so you pay $23-24pp for the Cagney's meal rather than $41pp. It's even less per meal if you buy a longer package.

I read the post you quoted as saying it wouldn't be worth it if paying the a large carte amount.

Thanks, I see that perspective.

Paying a la carte may help if you share, order fewer courses or if feeding kids.

That is a great idea. For people with kids, a la carte may be a nice boon. Instead of paying a large cover charge or making them order off the kids menu, you can order an appetizer for their meal or share your entree and order an extra appetizer.

We got the UDP for our 14-day TA in April.

Do you think we need to make reservations ahead of time or will we be fine making them on board? We're pretty flexible as to time and such since it's just the two of us.

Thanks.

I would make reservations which you can always change. This way you have them in case the times you want are not available on board.