TV channels available?

BlueWavesDreamer

Does anyone know whether NBC is available on the TV on NCL ships?

BlueWaves Dreamer,

I cannot speak for the rest of the ships in the NCL fleet, but just off the Gem (2/1/16) and none of the main channels were available in the staterooms.

The only networks available were news networks: MSNBC, FoxNews, BBCNews and an international Sports Channel. They had several channels of ship programming, a channel that played syndicated televisions shows and a channel that played movies.

In the staterooms there is interactive television that has on-demand movies for rent ( movies are free for Suite or Haven guests).

Perhaps somewhere else on the ship they may provide NBC or ABC, or CBS, but I didn't see those channels being broadcast anywhere else on the ship.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Do they find a place to show the "big" sporting events on board like Super Bowl, World Series, and the Olympics?

In the Atrium. In O'Sheehans. Spice H20 big screen. I watched the 2014 World Cup in each of these places on The Epic.

No, it is not available on any NCL ship. They cut the television budget slowly but surely over the years and not really any stations are available now. Just NCL saving another nickel and dime.

Some of your criticisms of NCL may be justified but I'm not sure about this one. I don't recall NCL having any broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC) available on their ships, certainly not recently (last 5-7 years, possibly longer).

NCL's TV stations are horrible. They don't want you in the room watching tv , they want you out and about spending money.

As for MSNBC, it's the international one. I do miss not hearing any news about what's going on in the USA while on a cruise. I do NOT watch Fox news ever.

No, it is not available on any NCL ship. They cut the television budget slowly but surely over the years and not really any stations are available now. Just NCL saving another nickel and dime.

I have no idea of when you were cruising NCL and had those stations? Certainly not in the last 10 years or so. Last time I remember having some network TV was in the 80 to early 90's, were you on board then? There have been some changes in NCL services, but this is not one of them.

I was on the Sun last Oct, the only negative thing about the cruise was that I couldn't watch the MLB playoffs, not even highlights. When I booked the cruise I knew there was a sports bar so I assumed I could watch there but all I ever saw was soccer and cricket. Every once in a while I would catch scores on the ticker at the bottom of The screen on MSNBC.

I was on the Sun last Oct, the only negative thing about the cruise was that I couldn't watch the MLB playoffs, not even highlights. When I booked the cruise I knew there was a sports bar so I assumed I could watch there but all I ever saw was soccer and cricket. Every once in a while I would catch scores on the ticker at the bottom of The screen on MSNBC.

I was also disappointed. I was on the Sun during the world series and they did not show a single game. The bean counter must have took that out of the television budget.

I have no idea of when you were cruising NCL and had those stations? Certainly not in the last 10 years or so. Last time I remember having some network TV was in the 80 to early 90's, were you on board then? There have been some changes in NCL services, but this is not one of them.

Been cruising on NCL for well over 20 years and yes they had many more channels available back then, including some network channels.

Like many things on NCL, they slowly cut them over several years so most people don't even notice. That way they can save an extra nickel and dime.

Ok, either this response is really lame or really detailed (your choice, keep opinions to yourself though! LOL). Here is what they had on the Star this past week, probably very similar on the other ships:

==============================

TV stations=

8 music stations (no picture/notification of song or artist)

Prime US (sports)

5 ship channels (shopping, shore excursions, events (shows on ship), info, safety, PA feed* (ship position, map, report from the bridge, weather), bow cam)

Engage (random tv shows; mostly health/wellness/food)

4 news channels (MSNBC, CNBC, Fox News, BBC World New)

Sports 24

TV Shows (DIY channel, HGTV, ABC/CBS shows (Millers/Goldbergs/Persons of Interest))

2 movie channels (each channel would show the same movies over and over (different movie each channel and different movie each day)).

*No a very clear quality channel and ½ the time the weather information (winds, etc) was n/a

=======================

I was having motion sickness the first night and had my laptop with me and was typing up a few notes for my review and wrote down the TV channels as we were going through them. Obviously not that many so easy to go through!!

They did have the Superbowl in O'Sheehans and Spinnakers (with a 'semi-buffet' (do to the Noro issue on the previous cruise)).

Mikki

Well, I sailed the Wind and Norway in the late 90's/early 2000's and they had only a few non-ship related stations. They were snowy most of the time. I recall a soccer station and old movies/tv shows. In my opinion, and experience, they have come a long way, especially American sports. It's far from ideal, of course. I assume that the potential of 7 World Series games is very expensive.

Let's see......... maybe they can make it "ala carte", then give it as a freebie choice, then raise the price for those that do it "ala carte", along with cruise fare hikes in-between....Yikes!

Been cruising on NCL for well over 20 years and yes they had many more channels available back then, including some network channels.

Like many things on NCL, they slowly cut them over several years so most people don't even notice. That way they can save an extra nickel and dime.

• 1 year later...

when I was stationed in Japan in the 90's the TV network we had available to us was called FEN. I don't know what that stands for but everyone called it Forced Entertainment Network. Reruns of Gilligan's Island and shows of that ilk. Memories

when I was stationed in Japan in the 90's the TV network we had available to us was called FEN. I don't know what that stands for but everyone called it Forced Entertainment Network. Reruns of Gilligan's Island and shows of that ilk. Memories

No, it was AFN. Armed Forces Network.

I was on RCCL last Transatlantic and they have new High Speed Internet I could stream anything from my provider (Dish) out TV using our iPad. I think NCL is working on Higher Speed one price internet service.

I think a large part of the issue is which stations they can get on their receivers and how much it costs.

US stations outside of the US can cause some issues. I know radio stations had issues with advertising to the whole country and having to pay the people who appeared in commercials more $$$.

No, it was FEN. I may be old but not quite addled. I looked it up and the acronym stood for Far East Network.

Ah, looking it up also I now see that is what it used to be called. It's now AFN-Japan. I was always used to AFN in Europe.

Edited by ColinIllinois