Mohagany Bay, Belize, Cozumel Itinerary ON A BUDGET!!!

cruisingtaylors

You will find more information on the 'ports of call' boards.

You can have essentially a 'free' day at Mahogony Bay. Carnival has a private beach right at the dock. You can see the beach from the ship, and it is maybe a 10 minute walk.

Go to the beach. Find a free lounger. Play in the water. Go back to the ship for free lunch. Back to the beach for the afternoon. It's as inexpensive as it gets!!

I will be going to the same ports this Christmas and the cheapest port day (so far) will be Cozumel where I intent to rent a Jeep and drive around the island. The East side should be very beautiful. I have been looking at Bonefish Rental where you can rent a Jeep including insurance for around $80.

At Mohagany Bay you can go to the beach just off the ship. As far as I know there are no charges and the ship is close enough to go eat lunch at the ship and then back to the beach.

What is your budget? If you have enough to spend at one port I would recommend one of the all inclusive beaches in Cozumel. We went to Nachi Cocom and loved it but others love Mr. Sanchos. It is a $17 cab ride (but you can split it with the others so maybe you could pair up with another couple?) and both places are around $65 and that includes loungers, all you can drink and food. Not a bad deal but not exactly the cheapest day either. If you don't spend anything in Roatan or Belize then maybe this one wont feel so expensive. Roatan is amazing, even if you just take a taxi to West Bay Beach!

Roatan: Mahogany Beach by the ship. No admission charge

Belize: Goff Caye through Island Marketing $40 for adults. Great day on a small island with free punch ( rum or regular). Food for purchase. Snorkeling trip included.

Cozumel: Take a taxi to Paradise beach.($14 for 1-4 persons one way) $3 admission includes lounge chairs Beautiful beach and pool. ($15 per person to use the water toys,paddle boards,etc)

Belize- sorry I can't help.

Cozumel- I love Nachi column and the $55 per person is well worth the price. However, I would just spend the day walking in town. Best shopping for little $$

Mahogany Bay- I would spring for Little French Key. Yes, it's pricey. I think it is one of these excursions available. We booked a cruise just to go back to LFK.

We hung out in Mahogany Beach all day. As others have said, it's free and within walking distance of the welcome center. We got off the ship early to ensure that we found a nice shaded spot since there were two ships in port. The only thing that we paid for was for the "ski lift"'to the beach just for fun, but you don't need to do that in order to get to the beach.

In Cozumel we just took a taxi cab to Chankanaab and explored on our own. Minimal cost.

Belize is a bit trickier since there's not much in the vicinity of the welcome center. Belize is probably one of the most beautiful countries you'll ever visit but if you try to be cheap here and not book an excursion or plan an activity, you will return saying that it was one of the most awful places you've ever been to, so definitely plan on spending some money here.

Mahogany Bay: There is a beach right off the ship. It is not best beach in Roatan but it is free. Tabyana Beach is very nice and costs $39.99 per person.

Belize: If you are on a budget, plan on this being a ship day and just getting off for a little bit to go to the shopping area in the port area. It should not take you that long.

Cozumel: Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach. Taxi cab rate is $14 for 1-4 persons to Paradise and $16 for 1-4 persons to Mr. Sanchos. I like Paradise better. It is a $3 admission fee and that includes a lounge chair and use of the pool and beach area. If you want to get on the toys in the water it is $15.

In Cozumel, the most inexpensive beach excursion would be to Paradise Beach where you pay minimal for pool/chair entry and taxi.

I have been reading about a very small beach around around the Monkey Bar area, which you apparently could walk from the port.

We went to Mr. Sanchos which is costly, this trip we are planning on going to Papito's, which is costly for cab fare but I did find a Carnival excursion there which I am looking in to.

___

Roatan the cheapest way is Mahogany Beach right there at the cruise ship port. We are planning to go to Tabyana Beach, we went on our last cruise and I feel it is the best snorkeling anywhere! I want to go back just to see it again!

___

Belize inexpensively is just the port shops area, but I did read that there is some sort of flea market outside the port area to your right. We took a 2 hour bus trip to the ruins so I didn't get a chance to really see Belize's port area, but I will say that the countryside is beautiful and should not be judged by what you see outside the port area of the City.

Edited by ibcnusoon

Mahogany Bay: use the free beach that is walking distance from the ship (a very easy stroll down a path)

Cozumel: Paradise Beach, it shouldn't be hard to find another couple to split the taxi fare with if you check on your roll call or ask around by the taxi fare sign in port. Price is per taxi not per person.

Belize: unless you are okay with staying on the ship or shopping at the typical port shops, splurge on an excursion here. There's also a bar called Wet Lizard which is in the port area that has cheap local beer and wifi if that is something you would be interested in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Belize, check out the chocolate shop right there in the port area. The smell alone is worth it! In Roatan, just walk down to the beach, no need to pay for the flying chairs. In Cozumel, have a drink at Fat Tuesday's and enjoy the atmosphere and the view of the ship.

Thanks for this info on the chocolate shop- it sounds like a must try. Do you know how long the tour is and whether or not they have baking cocoa?

Thanks for this info on the chocolate shop- it sounds like a must try. Do you know how long the tour is and whether or not they have baking cocoa?

There is no tour. It is a storefront that sells chocolate. I do believe they have some roasting equipment (it sure smells like it) in the back and you may be able to peek in, but there is no organized tour that I know of.

Edited by LostPuppy