Whatsapp calls?

Savlamara

Has anyone tried to make calls thru Whatsapp using carnival WiFi? The website says Whatsapp is included in the $5 a day social media package, which I know includes the instant message, but I'm wondering if actual calls can be made using this plan like when I'm on land .

Edited by Savlamara

Has anyone tried to make calls thru Whatsapp using carnival WiFi? The website says Whatsapp is included in the $5 a day social media package, which I know includes the instant message, but I'm wondering if actual calls can be made using this plan like when I'm on land .

Yes ports wi-fi.

Had the social plan on the breeze last week. Messaging works great. Tried to make calls through Whatsapp and Facebook instant messenger but neither worked for me. .

Which 'messaging system' did you use? FB or I messenger/apple device?

Hearing mixed reviews on use of I messenger (Ipad/apple phone) and was hoping to use that onboard....???

Had the social plan on the breeze last week. Messaging works great. Tried to make calls through Whatsapp and Facebook instant messenger but neither worked for me. .

Thanks so much! I guess I'll have to stick with making calls back home on the cabin phone.

We had the Social networking package. My son and myself both have iphones and we were able to use the Imessage for a few days. Mine stopped working like the last three days. His stopped working the last two. We were able to message and video chat through facebook. The video chat wasn't great it kept freezing up and unfreezing but we were able to see my 5 month old grandson every night which made his mother happy so she could enjoy her cruise. lol

Okay some say FB messenger calls worked and some say it didn't. I wonder if it matters of the ship your on has the new or old Internet plans?

The FB/Social Media package is only part of the 'new' internet plans - if you are on a ship that still has the old plan (not sure there are many left like that?) then you are simply paying for internet minutes /packages and would use whatever sites you wanted including email, etc.

I haven't had anyone I've sailed with on the "social" plan get calls to work (be it thru FaceTime audio, or Whatsapp). This makes sense since it is the other packages intended for streaming, the social package is really just for basic posting/messaging.

For what it's worth, I always use the "premium" package and even with that I've struggled to get a signal for a call (not even video call) on both ships I've had it on. I mentioned it at Guest Services both times since that package is advertised to support Skype etc video calling, which is definitely did not.

I made calls through Facebook messenger on Splendor & Pride. There is about a 5 sec delay. I had to go outside on higher deck to get connection. My hubby at home was getting a bit annoyed with delay,but it's better than $1.99 a min from cabin.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do you "make calls" thru FB?

I am on FB but never made a phone call or even knew we could-let alone on a ship!

Thanks for putting up with my lack of tech knowledge!

Edited by dcruisers