Coffee?

Lorrie991

We sail on the Mercury leaving Seattle Oct. 13. My husband wants to know if they serve brewed coffee in the dinning room & and the buffett. Many cruise lines now serve instant coffee. The only place to get good brewed coffee is at the coffee bars.

Lorrie

as there are many threads on COFFEE in fact one that isn't a few days old.

On Celebrity I have had Russian coffee during a TA that followed Baltic crew. It was bags put into the holder & the hot water flushed over it for coffee that was quite good. Maxwell House was another bag of grounds put into the brewer area.

But if you are into the espresso, cappucino, etc that is Cova Cafe at $3 a cup or so.

We sail on the Mercury leaving Seattle Oct. 13. My husband wants to know if they serve brewed coffee in the dinning room & and the buffett. Many cruise lines now serve instant coffee. The only place to get good brewed coffee is at the coffee bars.

Lorrie

We have found instant coffee served nowhere on any of Celebrity's ships. Hot chocolate, however, is instant unless (at least I think this is true) you grab a cup of the real stuff for a price at the Cova Cafe.

It's not instant but it isn't "brewed" either. With the exception of the Cova Cafe the coffe is made from a liquid concentrate. IMHO is was not very good. The Cova Cafe did make very good speciality coffee's.
What's all that powder in the machines at the aft end of the buffet lines?

You will find that not all coffee stations are equal at the buffet.. Check out the different locations... some are stronger and better than others... or if you prefer.. weaker and better.

You will find that not all coffee stations are equal at the buffet.. Check out the different locations... some are stronger and better than others... or if you prefer.. weaker and better.
Understood. Was just trying to point out that the "all liquid concentrate" post couldn't be entirely accurate. I prefer the stuff in the aft machines.

When I was on Infinity last May I spoke with the "bartender" at the cova cafe. She told me the rest of the ship used a liquid concentrate, she said although it is more expensive then ground coffee, it was less maintenance then the ground coffee.

I put so much sugar and creme in my coffee I doubt I could tell good from bad! There are those that think Starbucks hung the moon on fine coffee while others think Starbucks is the absoulte worst. You will find the same opinions on any cruise ship.

• 1 month later...

Previous posters are correct that X uses mainly a liquid concentrate for their coffee service. Indeed, I have heard other pax question servers about this and told so. The consistent exception, of course, is the Cova Cafes.

Sadly, this has become the industry trend for domestic cruise lines -- I know Princess has been doing this now for more than a decade.

The cost benefits are tremendous and, don't forget, these sailings are serving upwards of 5000 cups of coffee a day. I, for one, have never seen a coffee filter or a bag of ground coffee anywhere near the X coffee machines. Think it over..........

For me, the amazing thing is that some pax actually rave about this coffee. I can't stand it. I consider myself an average coffee drinker who prefers strong black coffee for the flavor. At home, we use Starbucks or Seattle's Best or Green Mountain. That said, I really don't care for X's coffee much at all..... I'll drink it because I need something at 6:42am before an early morning excursion, but I aint happy about it.....

In the carribbean celebrity uses Cafe Britt which is from Costa Rica it is very good 'cause I order it by the case for home use

I love Cafe Britt!! A friend told me to get some when I was going to Costa Rica. I had no idea X used it. It was nice to see the bean grinders on top of the coffee makers last cruise. By the way, Cafe Britt sells wholesale to the public. They also have great chocolate and Christmas gifts. Here, check it out for yourself. http://www.cafebritt.com/index.cfm?chkd=yes

Archived