Reflection ~ First Cruise

HappyCoupleCruisin'

Hello fellow cruisers. My husband and I have only been to all-inclusive resorts and we needed a change. DH recently retired and I am retired so to celebrate we are taking our first cruise which will be on Celebrity Reflection March 5th. We're very excited and we've read many great things about this ship.

My questions are with regards to the Internet connection. We read in one post that the Internet connection, which we can purchase, is poor. We want our family to be able to reach us if need be and they will want to hear from us. When we travel we usually log in first thing in the morning and before dinner for a few minutes. Can anyone tell us if the connection will be good enough to meet our needs? Also can we log in from our room if we buy it or do we need to go somewhere else?

Thank you for your help and Happy Sailing!! :)

I will be on your same cruise, so I can't speak from personal experience, obv, but I've read on the most recent reviews that the new xcellerate wifi (just installed the last couple weeks) is fast and easy. And there's now enough bandwidth, or whatever it's called, to stream and download, which wasn't possible a few weeks ago. There are packages you can buy, and you can connect on your device pretty much anywhere on the ship.

While the Internet is slow, we never had a problem checking our email ( sa,e as you, am and pm to keep in touch with family). You can save minutes by downloading your emails, logging off ( always remember to log off every time regardless, and then reading thru your emails. We were on the Reflections this past May and loved it. Enjoy!

Hello fellow cruisers. My husband and I have only been to all-inclusive resorts and we needed a change. DH recently retired and I am retired so to celebrate we are taking our first cruise which will be on Celebrity Reflection March 5th. We're very excited and we've read many great things about this ship.

My questions are with regards to the Internet connection. We read in one post that the Internet connection' date=' which we can purchase, is poor. We want our family to be able to reach us if need be and they will want to hear from us. When we travel we usually log in first thing in the morning and before dinner for a few minutes. Can anyone tell us if the connection will be good enough to meet our needs? Also can we log in from our room if we buy it or do we need to go somewhere else?

Thank you for your help and Happy Sailing!! :)[/quote']

You can pre-purchase 90 minutes for $82 CAD by going to the 'manage reservation' section at MyCelebrity. That being said we have never purchased it and prefer to 'turn off' for most of the week. We have always easily found free internet in all of our ports, sometimes not truly free but the price of a drink.

I was just on the 6 Feb sailing (Super Bowl at Sea).

I purchased the unlimited internet package ($149 I think) and it was great. It was fast and only once did we have an outage but it also affected the ship computers too. They fixed it after a couple hours.

The logon was quick and did not take the 5 minutes it used to. You get a temporary username and password and away you go.

In my opinion, it is now worth paying for.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/internet-packages

Edited by pete_coach

My wife and I along with our friends will be on the same cruise as you. This will be our fourth year in a row on Reflection and love it. Having said that, in years past, I have checked my e-mail in the apple computer room on board and it is very slow, but I have read that the new internet service is much quicker. Hope you enjoy Reflection!

We were on the Equinox over Thanksgiving, ( pre internet improvement, or so they say! ) and had no problem with the Wi-Fi speed using an iPad in the cabin.

Welcome to Celebrity!

The Reflection is our favorite ship in 25+ years of cruises! Great choice for your first.

EW

With today's storm in Ottaw, talking cruises is a great way to take one's mind off snowblowing!

While the Internet is sluggish, it will do the job. As others have said, try to read and write off line and only connect to send and receive. If you have only a few family members to keep in touch with, open a new account with a different service and only open that account. You'll avoid the great volume of other mail that takes time to download.

Also take advantage of free or cheap Internet at all of the ports of call. We will usually download our "other" mail then, and also take advantage of the higher speed to Facebook or Skype the family back home.

Enjoy your first cruise!

With today's storm in Ottaw, talking cruises is a great way to take one's mind off snowblowing!

While the Internet is sluggish, it will do the job. As others have said, try to read and write off line and only connect to send and receive. If you have only a few family members to keep in touch with, open a new account with a different service and only open that account. You'll avoid the great volume of other mail that takes time to download.

Also take advantage of free or cheap Internet at all of the ports of call. We will usually download our "other" mail then, and also take advantage of the higher speed to Facebook or Skype the family back home.

Enjoy your first cruise!

I think you need to read my Post #5. The internet is fast and reliable now. Logging on is quicker and easier and seeds are consistent. We did not try Facetime but everything else was working just like home. Videos came in good with very little buffering.

I am not sure where you read others saying things but Celebrity has rolled out hi speed internet on it's ships (some are still not reconfigured but are undergoing it).

Yeah as for the Ottawa comment, we were in plus 28 C and 50cms of surf last week and now in minus 20 C and 50cms of snow LOL.

Thanks a bunch everyone!! As long as we can touch base with home we're good and it sounds like it won't be an issue.

We are from Ottawa as well and we survived Snow Storm 2016. :) DH cleared our driveway, as well as our neighbour's (they are away) four times. He's looking forward to this cruise!!! Happy Sailing one and all! :)

Edited by HappyCoupleCruisin'