Buying Case(s) of Bottled Water Onboard

jdbmga

I went to purchase a couple of cases of bottled water online and it says that you can purchase for the same price onboard but do they charge gratuity on it onboard? Where do you order it from? I want to order some online but don't want to overbuy if I can buy it for the same price onboard

Thank you.

I went to purchase a couple of cases of bottled water online and it says that you can purchase for the same price onboard but do they charge gratuity on it onboard? Where do you order it from? I want to order some online but don't want to overbuy if I can buy it for the same price onboard

Thank you.

Yes, they do charge a gratuity if you buy it onboard, but you'll be charged sales tax based on your state of residence if you pre-buy it from Fun Shop. So there's little difference. You call room service to order it, and will need to be in the cabin to sign for it. In my experience they are prompt in bringing it when you order it. It's a great deal whether you buy it in advance or onboard.

Sales tax will depend on when you ask it to be delivered. I discovered if I ordered something to be delivered the first evening, I got charged sales tax, but if delivered the next day while at sea, none was charged. Both situations were preorders through the fun shop done online in same session.

I pre purchased two 12 packs for our upcoming March cruise and had no sales tax. My friends just got back from their cruise and said it costs more if you wait and purchase it on board. It's like $5 or $6 per 12 pack I think, I'll have to ask her exactly how much. But it did cost more.

Yes, they do charge a gratuity if you buy it onboard, but you'll be charged sales tax based on your state of residence if you pre-buy it from Fun Shop.

I could be incorrect, but I believe it is sales tax based on the port you are leaving from. I live in a state that has no sales tax and I paid 6% for my water purchase, which just happens to be the sales tax rate for Maryland, where my cruise leaves from.

I pre purchased two 12 packs for our upcoming March cruise and had no sales tax. My friends just got back from their cruise and said it costs more if you wait and purchase it on board. It's like $5 or $6 per 12 pack I think, I'll have to ask her exactly how much. But it did cost more.

Should not cost more purchasing on-board.

Even states on the Fun Shops online that "You can now order for the same price on-board."

We pre-ordered 2 cases to be delivered, one on embarkation day and the other 2 days later. Both cases were delivered the day of embarkation. No sales tax charged.

We ordered an additional case while on-board. There was sales tax added to that purchase. We were at sea.

Never charged sales tax when we pre-ordered either. But for some reason, my feet & legs swelled this time (never before) and some have said it's due to the purified municipal water that Carnival sells since it has sodium. I never drink purified water in my daily life, using only spring water normally.

Next time, will try something else - why don't they make canned spring water!?

We pre-ordered 2 cases to be delivered, one on embarkation day and the other 2 days later. Both cases were delivered the day of embarkation. No sales tax charged.

We ordered an additional case while on-board. There was sales tax added to that purchase. We were at sea.

Could it have been the 15% gratuity and not sales tax?

Never charged sales tax when we pre-ordered either. But for some reason, my feet & legs swelled this time (never before) and some have said it's due to the purified municipal water that Carnival sells since it has sodium. I never drink purified water in my daily life, using only spring water normally.

Next time, will try something else - why don't they make canned spring water!?

Funny I had the opposite experience - mostly drank the bottled water and little to no swelling on last cruise! Have pre-ordered again for upcoming cruise and hope to have the same result!;)

Funny I had the opposite experience - mostly drank the bottled water and little to no swelling on last cruise! Have pre-ordered again for upcoming cruise and hope to have the same result!;)

Froufie, you're going in a few days. Will you pop back on and tell me if you had no swelling? I seriously put it down to the water because I drank 2 of the gift shop 12-packs myself plus lots of water in the MDR. Never had any swelling at all on previous cruises while drinking my usual Zephyrhills spring water. First time ever on our cruise last fall - and the swelling went on for a week or so after the cruise!

I've read about this on other threads in the past, but never experienced it before last fall.

Should not cost more purchasing on-board.

Even states on the Fun Shops online that "You can now order for the same price on-board."

My friend was charged more on the ship and I have personally been charged more on the ship too, but that was before they changed the rules. The rule change is recent and I wasn't aware of it. But since some cruisers are saying they were charged sales tax and/or gratuity while on board it's probably best to go ahead and buy them now. I did. :)

Just got off the Liberty, this past Sunday. My wife ordered a case prior to sailing, $2.99 plus Gratuity and it was in our room when we got to our room!

As far as ordering once on and the cost then? Don't know! So order it now and it will be, in your room when you check in! Matter a fact were sailing again 1-Oct on the Magic, and as i'm typing this she ordering the water and the Bottomless Bubbles!