Internet package

catzdebbie

Which ports?

Unless the ship has been upgraded to Voom (new internet) and Splendor I do not believe has been-- the internet is unbearably slow-- think 1999 dial up slow-- so we try to never have to use it. On the other hand many Ports have restaurants and Bars with wi-fi for free (especially true of Caribbean) where you can browse the internet/email/whatever and reasonable speed as you eat drink and make merry.

So it all depends on which ports you are visiting

Is it worth buying the Internet package or us there good wifi access at rage ports.

Sailing on the Splendour of the Seas 22nd Feb 2016

Thank you x

If you don't need internet access while at sea, I'd wait and find a WiFi spot in port. Ask a crew member (like stateroom attendant or dining room waiter) where to find WiFi in port.

Which ports?

Unless the ship has been upgraded to Voom (new internet) and Splendor I do not believe has been-- the internet is unbearably slow-- think 1999 dial up slow-- so we try to never have to use it. On the other hand many Ports have restaurants and Bars with wi-fi for free (especially true of Caribbean) where you can browse the internet/email/whatever and reasonable speed as you eat drink and make merry.

So it all depends on which ports you are visiting

thanks for this information. I am going on the Freedom in a couple weeks and was going to buy the internet package, but that ship has not been upgraded to VOOM yet.

I called AT&T today. The phone, text, internet packages are $30 for 50 minutes of talk which I wont use, $60 for 50 minutes talk and 100 text messages or it was $120 for 50 talk, 100 text and 100mb internet. I just wanted texting or just internet. They don't offer it.

The ala cart price for AT&T was $.50 per text or $1.30 per picture. It was $2.50 per minute talk and the internet was $10.24 per mb.

thought id share in case someone was interested. :)

Just be careful with free wi-fi access. My brother used to work in computer security and it is amazing how resourceful some hackers can be in getting your personal info. Just take steps to be safe! For example, with GMail I use the 2-step authentication and print a list of codes to take with me...easy precaution when checking email on an open network.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194062/how_to_stay_safe_on_public_wifi.html

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/9-tips-to-stay-safe-on-public-wi-fi

tI am going on the Freedom in a couple weeks and was going to buy the internet package, but that ship has not been upgraded to VOOM yet.

Your cabin location on Freedom should factor into your decision to buy an internet package. Cabins on Decks 6, 7 or 8, 9 - connectivity will be sporadic. Cabins on Deck 4, Deck 6 overlooking the Promenade or Deck 10 - connectivity will be very good. Not sure about the lower decks.

Plenty of Wifi at the Cozumel, Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Maya and Falmouth ports. May need to buy a drink at a location to get the Wifi password. Little connectivity if any at Coco Cay or Labadee.

I bought it last year on our Indy cruise, and unless there were special deals, I can't see me buying it again. It was painfully slow.. I mean painfully... forget doing any browsing. And, we had a deck 9 aft cabin - would lose connection all of the time.

I really only wanted it when I was relaxing on the balcony, or going to bed to surf facebook(forget uploading pics!), emails and the odd online game... it was very frustrating - so I gave up.

We were on Freedom last week, and while the internet was not Voom speed, it was plenty fast enough for Facebook and web browsing. Probably could not have done Skype or Facetime, but other than that we had no issues. Location did make a difference though - had issues up in the Viking Crown Lounge.