Under 500 Calories Meal in MDR?

knittinggirl

As a WW member myself, I lean towards the "power foods" - broiled salmon, chicken, and steak on the Everyday Menu; plain baked potato, steamed vegs, salads with dressing on the side, fruit plate, etc. There are lots of choices. Rather than trying to get the NI, you would be better if you just looked up entries such as "4 oz. cooked chix breast, no skin" and get the points that way.

At breakfast there is fruit, poached or boiled eggs, toast and Eng. muffins with no butter, etc. Lunch can be the salad bar along with a grilled or roasted meat.

5 oz. wine = 6 Smart Points :D

Roz

Has your group shared the trick with the salad dressings? Get the dressing on the side. Dip the fork in the dressing and then into the salad. Whatever "sticks" to the fork tines is yours. There's just enough there to satisfy the need for dressing on your salad.

I've seen on dressing bottles that one serving is 2 TBSP. By dipping your fork into the dressing before stabbing at the salad you can get by with WAY less than that recommended serving amt.

Exactly how I feel - and I'm currently on a diet!!

The biggest cause of weight gain is not WHAT you eat, but how MUCH you eat. If you're serious about weight control, limit your portions. If you go to the buffet and load your plate up to overflowing and go back for seconds (which most of us do on a cruise), you will be overeating, no doubt about it.

On our recent Westerdam cruise, I got into a discussion with our very efficient waiter about portion size when he asked why I only ate half of every meal. I suggested that HAL could save a lot of money if they were to offer "Seniors' Portions" as a menu feature. He said that was done when he worked on a world cruise and he would see to it that our orders for the rest of the cruise would be delivered with senior portions on the plate. He was true to his word and we were able to eat everything on our plates after that.

I truly am surprised that this isn't a menu feature on all HAL ships because from a business cost saving point of view it seems to be a no brainer.

To Joanie

I read on some thread that Sail7Seas has an injured hand and typing is very difficult for her.

Thank you for the info:) That relieves me greatly to hear it is a hand injury and nothing worse!!

I was off boards for a month and did not read that.

Sail, I hope you get well soon!!

Joanie

Sail, please understand I am not asking this out of rudeness, but.........

Are you OK?

I've noticed lots of spelling errors, words that make no sense and your normal bolding of your words missing.

I am worried about you and I don't know how else to ask you:( Emails and Facebook are unanswered.... Are you OK?

Joanie

Joanie, No reason cfor YOU to worry about me. please don't..:d I DON'T DO fACEBOOK AND I have not reeceiv ed any e-mail from you so, ofcourse, did not reply. Edited by sail7seas

I find HAL cruises to be fairly easy to maintain weight control. The food really isn't very good and the main task is to avoid eating tasteless courses of food that are still heavy in calories. This is a big risk in the Lido and I avoid going there as much as possible. The same problem exists in the main dining room, but you can control your intake by careful ordering. My rule is: if it doesn't taste good with the first bite DON'T EAT IT. It's tempting to eat things that are staring at you from the plate even if they are tasteless. A lot of HAL food is really bland or overly salted. It's a pity that the quality of the food has gotten so bad, but one advantage is that you can more easily avoid gaining those extra cruise pounds.

Does HAL have an under 500 calorie meal in the MDR? If so, do they also include the nutritional information so I can calculate Weight Watcher Smart Points?

I think WW is a great diet program. I am on it myself......slowly losing the weight and hoping to keep it off, with good nutrition choices, and, most importantly, portion control.

But.........take a break when going on a Cruise. Forget about points. Just watch your portions and enjoy the whole cruising experience. Resume Weight Watchers after.

The past couple of cruises on HAL I have noticed that portions are quite reasonable. I still don't eat all of it, but DH finds it more than adequate and keeps him from overeating(unless he finishes mine!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD