Big Mistake??

InkyMoses

The last time we were in St. Petersburg we only took the ships tours. At that time you did not need a visa for organised tours, ship or other local.

Unless things have changed you will need one for diy travel and the city is not easy to negotiate without speaking the language. However for the really independent passengers using taxis, I guess you could manage but would almost certainly not see as much as on a tour when the guides always have preference over individuals.

Don't ever think it's like Barcelona though!!

David.

Hi David,

The visa thing is a little misleading - you need to organise one to go ashore in St Petersburg independently. But of you book with a local tour company, either yourself or with the ships excursion, what you actually get is a 'visa waiver' which covers you for the duration of your excursion as long as you are in the company of your guide. The cost is factored into the total price of the tour and your ticket / booking confirmation from the company serves as your "visa" for Russian immigration. So on your last trip you may have not been aware of the visa issue because it was already sorted.

I agree with you about the difficulty of getting round St Petes independently though. At the New Sea Port P&O is now using there is no public transport so taxis etc would all need to be arranged in advance - too much of a headache, even for this avid DIY-er! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all your reassurance,I think we are nervous as it is whole new type of hoiday for us. I'm sure we will enjoy it,its all a new experience away from daily life.One thing that has confused me somewhat is which foreign currency/currencies to take.If anyone could advise,I've read different things,and I am now rather baffled.

You can get most - maybe all - foreign currencies on the ship, though I'm not sure how competitive the exchange rates are. ISTR that a lot of places in St Petersburg will take euros as well as roubles. It also shouldn't be hard to find an ATM at most of the ports you will be visiting. I don't think I've ever brought any foreign currency with me on any P&O cruise that I've been on, and I don't think that I've ever had a problem.

When we went to the Baltic we didn't change any currency. We always have Euros, so took them. The rest of the time just used a CC that has no charge for foreign transactions. Look at something like Halifax Clarity card.

Changing money on the ship will be the most uneconomical way of getting currency.

The rates given on the ship are really bad. That is the last place I would get currency. I wish P&O did a similar thing to Fred. You buy your currency from Cityforex online or over the phone. The money is delivered to the ship for you to pick up. If you don't use it, you give it back at the same rate you bought it. Marvellous.