Alternatives to Formal Nights?

Whizkid

My family will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess June 5th. We're interested in packing light this trip - does anyone know what the alternatives (if any) are to the formal dress evenings? Is the Caribe Cafe open those nights to "smart casual"? Has anyone else out there chosen to forego the evening wear, and if so, where/how did you manage to eat?

Thanks!

John and Vicki

The usual options are:

The buffet (Horizon Court)

Room Service

Going smart casual(nice slacks/collared shirt) and who cares what people think.(controversial)

Typically the alternative restuarants are formal as well, the general thought is that the evening is formal not just the dining room.

We were on Diamond a week ago, I wore a Tux, I was in the minority, about 15%, 80% in suits or blazers and 5% in dress shirts. No one on the ship had an issue but on the boards it can be a spicy topic.

Two open Princess bookings

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I'm interested in the responses here as well. We'll be on the Coral to Alaska this summer. We're renting a motorhome for 10 days post cruise. We don't want to lug a bunch of formal wear around for the 4 of us, so we've decided to forego the formal nights.

My additional question is--Would it be frowned upon to attend the evenings shows or activities in smart casual clothing? We would not eat in the dining room, but don't want to be trapped in our room all evening. But, I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb when we're out in the public spaces.

My additional question is--Would it be frowned upon to attend the evenings shows or activities in smart casual clothing? QUOTE]

We did not do formal nights on the Golden and attended the shows in our casual clothes. Many who did dress for the formal dining changed into their casual clothes for the shows...much more comfortable:-)

Your plans for Alaska sound wonderful! As an RVer, I totally understand about noit wanting formal clothing with you, there just isn't that much space.

My solution would be to take a pair of black slacks for both men & women with a dressy blouse and or shirt -- not too formal but still in keeping with the attitude of the evening. And the dressier clothes may come in handy for a restaurant while you're RVing as well.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suzanne123:

On the Caribbean Princess, the Cafe Caribe is open every night, beginning at 5:30, including formal nights. You will look perfectly fine there in smart casual. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks pejay!

Now...just a quick clarification...I take it you ate in the Cafe Caribe on formal nights...and actually saw others (many?) there eating while casually dressed?

And..just an extra question....how was the food in Cafe Caribe on formal nights? Anything extra? Just the usual buffet fare?

Thanks to all -

John and Vicki

Hi! You need to go to the Carib. roll call board for June 5th. We have a lot of people going and we even have a web page with all of the people and ages. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Whizkid:

My family will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess June 5th. We're interested in packing light this trip - does anyone know what the alternatives (if any) are to the formal dress evenings? Is the Caribe Cafe open those nights to "smart casual"? Has anyone else out there chosen to forego the evening wear, and if so, where/how did you manage to eat?

Thanks!

John and Vicki<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kim

Yes, we did eat at the Cafe Caribe every night. The fare on formal nights was lobster tail, crab legs, shrimp cocktail "fountain", Beef Wellington, etc. -- about the same as the dining rooms with a couple Caribbean dishes that I didn't try. My husband did try a little of everything and thought the offerings were great. They open at 5:30 so my advice is to walk through, get an idea of what they have, and compare to the dining room menus that are posted. There are meat and fish dishes offered in both areas.

Folks were definitely smart casual or just plain casual. We didn't go down to the shows in the theater or lounges so I'm not sure if people who dressed formally for the dining rooms changed into casual after dinner or not. We did go to the Movies Under the Stars on both formal nights and at the early show at least, I didn't notice anyone around us with formal wear. icon_smile.gif

I've dress fromally for the dinner and left it on (disabled). When I went to the Theater later about 40% were dressed up, 40% smart casual and the remainder casual. My friends changed out of their dinner attire and went smart casual. The black pants and nice tops sound ok to me (use to RV too). I sometimes have trouble dressing so I will wear nice black pants and a silky type top to second fromal night. I'll use the pants again to travel home in.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

June 5th Thread

Here's a link to our June 5 thread that Kim mentioned above, please come and join us!

Sharon

Elation 05/98

Paradise 04/99

Destiny 10/99

Inspiration 05/00

Enchantment of the Seas 10/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 03/01

Carnival Spirit 05/01

Grandeur of the Seas 11/01

Ocean Princess 04/02

Jubilee 09/02

Carnival Conquest 03/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/08/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 02/29/04-Daughter's Wedding

Caribbean Princess 06/05/04

Cast off the ropes, cast off your cares...we're outta here

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 <marquee>SUNSHINE DAYDREAM...GOIN' WHERE THE CLIMATE SUITS MY CLOTHES</marquee>

Archived