Royal Regular Retreats to NCL - Feb. 20, 2016 "Live" ESCAPE Review

Yorkvillain

Yeah. The pool deck does feel a little cramped. This ship could use one more pool too. That may be my only negative (well that and the wifi).

Haha! There was one day when we were eating at Garden Cafe. The table next to us wasn't cleaned off for a good 5-10 minutes after the last people left. I said to Courtney, "These are the types of things that people go on Cruise Critic to complain about and write a 500-word essay on how their vacation was ruined because of that dirty table".

I just wanted to say I am loving this review and your attitude about the things that might be negative. I felt the same way about Doug's review. It made me sad when I read someone's comment in another thread about how they had a great cruise on the Breakaway, but it would have been a horrible cruise if they hadn't been in the Haven because the public areas were too crowded.

I was considering doing a live posting from the Escape next month, but I don't really want to pay the high internet fee, especially if it's bad. I've never used internet on any cruise. And I always end up being too lazy to write a review when I get home!

Are the drop slides pitch black inside or does the natural light pass through the tube?

I kept my eyes closed the whole time. Lol. It looks like natural light does pass through a little. From the outside you can see the shapes of the bodies fly by.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Late lunch at Margaritaville.

Land Shark for the gentleman.

b8f71281f73ec15b9f56de980e15832d.jpg

Watermelon Margarita for the lady.

2aee63d223be8c2d26c975bfda625c67.jpg

Volcano nachos. God I hope there are no eruptions later.

6e9a74d1e998531a68c642004823b7f6.jpg

Conch fritters

852f621f831b561a5146850322431ffe.jpg

I just wanted to say I am loving this review and your attitude about the things that might be negative. I felt the same way about Doug's review. It made me sad when I read someone's comment in another thread about how they had a great cruise on the Breakaway, but it would have been a horrible cruise if they hadn't been in the Haven because the public areas were too crowded.

Thanks for the nice words and thanks for following! I hardly ever complain about anything on a cruise.

My 9 year old is insistent that you get the Truffle Fries (he says they are legendary) at Cagney's tonight... they are delicious!

Still loving your review...

Thank you. And I accept your 9-year-old's challenge!

I have been following your review and loving it! I agree that everyone has different cruise experiences and ways of enjoying it. Heck, on the same ship on different dates I spent one mostly in the spa, beach, and stateroom, and another primarily at the bars and entertainment venues - I love the fact I can cater cruises to what I feel like and need for that week.

Too bad you missed the Meet and Greet - you missed some of my favorite peeps on this cruise - Mr. Don, Janice, Dee, Karen - I think Dan is there too! I made it the last two years, but not this year - gotta wait until April.

I'm curious if you need your passport for getting on/off in St.Thomas or Tortola?

Out of 15 cruises I have only had two bad experiences worth complaining about. Exp. 1 - Varnishing the balcony and putting a sign up that we couldn't use it for the week, no towels, no medical staff for 3 days, oh - and catching on fire!! (Star Princess) Exp 2 - Door opening and closing with alarms going off for 4 hours straight starting at 2am. (NCL Getaway). Neither experience completely ruined the whole cruise but it did make for some frustrating days!! My favorite saying is - we'll laugh about this later.

On the flip side I could list things I have enjoyed about cruises for PAGES and PAGES and...

Lady Anna

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Great review! I was getting worried about our upcoming escape cruise but after your review (and Thedougout) I'm feeling much better about it.

So far I've only cruised Oasis class and wondering how Spice compares to Solarium (which is where I spent most of my time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review! I was getting worried about our upcoming escape cruise but after your review (and Thedougout) I'm feeling much better about it.

So far I've only cruised Oasis class and wondering how Spice compares to Solarium (which is where I spent most of my time).

If you enjoy the Solarium you might want to consider the Spa. I'm considering the Radiance of the Sea for a NZ cruise, so am very interested in how nice the Solarium is on that ship.

How do you do the responses in the quote? I've tried multiple times and am not doing something right. I am loving your review. We sail out on the Jewel in April! I can't wait.

I thought I knew...but I couldn't do it either.

If you are using the web-based version of cruise critic, just hit the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of the post that you want to quote.

If you are using the APP, just highlight the text in the post that you want to quote and the option will pop up.

I'm curious if you need your passport for getting on/off in St.Thomas or Tortola?

Thanks. You do not need your passport at either island. A drivers license and your room key card are all you need.

Yorkvillian-- Thank you for taking the time on your cruise to blog about your trip. We have an April 2 sail date and following your week has been so entertaining and informative. I can't wait!!

My pleasure. Have fun on your trip.

Good question. I think the design of the solarium is beautiful on the Oasis class. However I think it is a little too warm and muggy in there sometimes (on both Oasis and Allure). I think the pool is a little too small too. The only time we usually go in the Solarium pool on Oasis class is day 1 when people are still boarding or when the ship is at port and we stay on the ship. All other sea days we usually go to the main, sports or beach pool. It is usually not hard to find a chair at the solarium as long as you don't mind sitting on the upper level (same deck as the bar)

It's hard to get chairs at Spice if you do not go out early enough. Obviously I love the grotto. I would say overall I prefer Spice by a little.

My favorite Solarium and pool decks are on Royal's Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Edited by Yorkvillain

Yeah. The pool deck does feel a little cramped. This ship could use one more pool too. That may be my only negative (well that and the wifi).

Not sure if the setup is the same as the Getaway but if you want to see cramped, check out the oversized bathtub they call the kids' pool!! And that wifi? Meg & I had to work on that wifi!! Courtney will remember....

Dinner at Cagney's tonight was the worst experience of my life. Service was slow and the food was disgusting. They gave me chicken fingers when I ordered a filet. The air conditioning was broken. The ice machine didn't work so all the drinks were warm. There were no tables so we had to sit on the floor. The waiter told me I was ugly and that I was going nowhere in life. There was a bowl of bananas next to the ketchup and mayo! Who does that?? This is officially my last cruise ever.

You believe me right? Good.

Dinner was fantastic! Photos to follow.